[unix-pc.general] File Transfer Programs

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (05/09/88)

In article <2307@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett)
writes:
|>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
|>capability on a 3b1?

This can be done with any public domain file transfer protocol program.  I have
the one that was posted to comp.sources.misc a while back called "rz, sz"..
This supports Zmodem.  I have kermit.

|>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
|>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

Umodem isn't built-in, it is called by the ATE software.  It resides in
/usr/bin/umodem.

$ umodem<CR>
UMODEM Version 2.8a
UNIX-Based Remote File Transfer Facility

Usage:
umodem -[rb!rt!sb!st][q][l][m][d][y][7] filename

rb <-- Receive Binary
rt <-- Receive Text
sb <-- Send Binary
st <-- Send Text
q  <-- Quiet mode
l  <-- (ell) Turn on LOG File Entries
m  <-- Allow file overwiting on receive
d  <-- Delete umodem.log File before starting
y  <-- Display file status (size) information only
7  <-- Enable 7-bit transfer mask

Umodem is the Xmodem protocol.

|>(Ever feel like there are two worlds, IBM and UNIX, with NO bridges
|>between them?)

You just need the right software between the two... it shouldn't be
that bad ;-)

Take care,
Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (05/10/88)

In article <2311@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>Even if that works, you still only have one protocol available in the
><Shift><Cmd> menu of local commands. Why oh why can't we get the source...

rz will automatically switch between zmodem, ymodem or xmodem depending on
what it sees from the other computer, so if you replaced umodem with rz,
you should be able use any of those protocolls.  BUT, ATE sends umodem a
file name which, I think, will throw rz into xmodem mode.  I'm not sure
what other parameters ATE sends umodem, but I doubt that they all work on
rz.  What's needed is a go-between program, or you could just get Pcomm
and save yourself a lot of trouble.

>--
>Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward@engr.uky.edu
>(606) 257-4938				UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward
>"Goodnight M.A."				BITNET: edward%ukecc.uucp@ukma
>	"He's become a growling, snarling mass of white-hot canine terror"

         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

rag@mtunb.ATT.COM (Richard Grant) (05/11/88)

In article <2311@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>>> Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?
>
>There is a file /usr/bin/umodem that I assume contains the UMODEM code.
>Based on that, I assume the ATE forks off a umodem process and connects
>stdin and stdout to it. If that's right, then, theoretically, you could
>put a copy of rz inplace of /usr/bin/umodem. The ATE wouldn't know the
>difference. No, I haven't tried it but it seems like a safe experiment

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  umodem is in /usr/bin so that
it can be executed from the shell when called by another machine.
(Consider using the ATE on another UNIX PC and calling your UNIX PC.)
The umodem protocol is compiled into the ATE without hooks to provide
other protocols.

	Rich Grant
	mtune!mtunb!rag

egray@fthood.UUCP (05/13/88)

There is of course, an alternate solution....  Don't use the ATE, use
something else!

I've been working on a public domain version of ProComm for Unix called
Pcomm.  It runs on the AT&T Unix PC 7300 and supports:

	xmodem
	xmodem-1k
	modem7
	ymodem
	ymodem-g
	ASCII

The next release will contain external protocol selections.

Pcomm v1.0 (with 4 patches) has been posted to unix-pc.sources.  If you
have trouble getting the source from a neighboring site, I may be able
to mail it to you.

It's also due to appear on comp.sources.unix "real soon now".

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

rag@mtunb.ATT.COM (Richard Grant) (05/13/88)

In article <1209@mtunb.ATT.COM> rag@mtunb.UUCP (was-Richard Grant) writes:

>>There is a file /usr/bin/umodem that I assume contains the UMODEM code.
>>Based on that, I assume the ATE forks off a umodem process and connects
>>stdin and stdout to it.
>
>Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  umodem is in /usr/bin so that
>it can be executed from the shell when called by another machine.
>(Consider using the ATE on another UNIX PC and calling your UNIX PC.)
>The umodem protocol is compiled into the ATE without hooks to provide
>other protocols.
>
>	Rich Grant
>	mtune!mtunb!rag

Yuck! That foot tastes bad.  I was answering based on a poorly remembered
conversation of long ago.  It turns out that with version 3.5+ anyway, ATE
does exec /usr/bin/umodem.  I have not determined just what the full
interface is but the arguments passed for receiving a binary file over
tty000 seem to be:

	umodem -rbm /full/path/filename /dev/tty000

Good luck using this info.  Sorry about the initial bum steer.

	Rich Grant
	mtune!mtunb!rag

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (05/17/88)

In article <403@bacchus> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>rz will automatically switch between zmodem, ymodem or xmodem depending on
>what it sees from the other computer, so if you replaced umodem with rz,
>you should be able use any of those protocolls.  BUT, ATE sends umodem a
>file name which, I think, will throw rz into xmodem mode.  I'm not sure
>what other parameters ATE sends umodem, but I doubt that they all work on
>rz.  What's needed is a go-between program, or you could just get Pcomm
>and save yourself a lot of trouble.

The ATE calls umodem like this:

	umodem -options file-being-transferred device-for-transfer

Which, for me, usually comes out as:

	umodem -rbm fred.file /dev/ph0

I'm working on a "go between" program to interpret the passed flags,
set up the file descriptors etc. and call whichever of rz, sz, rb, sb,
rx or sx is appropiate. Naturally, I'll post it when it's ready.

I cannot find evidence that rz will sense the incoming protocol and
adapt to it. Where did you read this? I guess I could always try it
and see. ;-) ((COMPUTER EXPLODES. Stunned user claims mismatched ftp's))

Pcomm, huh? I looked at that briefly when it came out. It looked
awfully big and complicated. How it it? Does it beat the ATE? (Not
tough I'll grant you)
--

]
]Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  umodem is in /usr/bin so that
]it can be executed from the shell when called by another machine.
](Consider using the ATE on another UNIX PC and calling your UNIX PC.)
]The umodem protocol is compiled into the ATE without hooks to provide
]other protocols.

Unless our machines are vastly different, things work the way I
described. You are correct about UMODEM being in /usr/bin. I suppose
that it could be called by a remote user. I don't know. I haven't tried
that. But you're wrong about the ATE. I'm able to put my own program
in place of /usr/bin/umodem, tell the ATE to do a UMODEM transfer and
watch my program run. If UMODEM is builtin, why call /usr/bin/umodem?