[unix-pc.general] Time keeps getting reset whenever I turn it off

ken1@killer.UUCP (Ken Ihrig) (05/22/88)

Whenever I turn my computer off, the time gets reset.  I assume that
the battery has gone bad.  Could someone please send me/post some info on
how to replace the battery i.e. are there any special things I need to
do? any "tricks"? is there anyway to be sure that this is the problem
before replacing it?  Any info would be much appreciated.

spear@booboo.UUCP (Steve Spearman) (05/24/88)

From article <4141@killer.UUCP>, by ken1@killer.UUCP (Ken Ihrig):
> Whenever I turn my computer off, the time gets reset.  I assume that
> the battery has gone bad.  Could someone please send me/post some info on
> how to replace the battery ....

Here is a re-posting of some information that I used successfully
in my PC.  Basically, just remove the top and open the shield.  Find
the large round lithium battery on the top of the motherboard.  It is
soldered on two sides - unsolder and remove it, but note the polarity
of the connections carefully.  Put a 2 AAA holder (from Radio Shack)
somewhere convenient - I found it mounted back by the floppy pretty
well.  Run the wires up and attach where the battery was attached.
Watch the polarity again.  Install 2 AAA nicads, preferably charged.
That should do it!  The voltage will be 2.6 rather than 3.0 but that
hasn't seemed to matter.

Steve Spearman  ihnp4!booboo!spear  ethos!ihtlt!ihop3!booboo!spear

/* Written  9:15 pm  Oct 16, 1987 by ureka.UUCP!charlie in looney:unix-pc.general */
/* ---------- "3B1 clock battery replacement" ---------- */
I have just received my Clock Battery Kit from Amperfax to replace the
original 3B1 clock battery.

For those of you who haven't had to do this yet, here's what I got for
$ 28.49

     2 each Panasonic AAA nicads ( roughly $ 1.50 - $ 2.00 )
     1 each battery holder ( approx. $ .59 )
     1 each pigtail with a polarized connector pair ( approx. $ 1.59 )
     1 instruction sheet telling me to unsolder the old battery terms
       and solder in the new. That's it !!!!! ...............

There's nothing else to it. So if you haven't done it yet, you will in
all probability have to do so within a year. You might be able to save
yourself about $ 24.00 (~500 %) by shopping locally.

The reason I bought the kit was on the advice of someone else who bought an
earlier kit which apparently had a current limiting network also. Now the
current limiting network is no longer provided ( perhaps not needed ) so
there's no apparent need to pay the extra 24 bucks or so.

By the way, there is NO WARRANTY with the kit except that they will replace
a factory defective battery or connector only.

DISCLAIMER: This should not be constituted as advice but just as information
relaying what I got for my money and what I would do the next time.

--
					    .... Charlie ....
rutgers!rochester!kodak!ureka!charlie
In article <902@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP writes:
] Does anyone out there know anything about clock batteries on the UNIX PC,
] specifically (1) how to replace them and (2) the consequences of not
] replacing a dead battery?

Mine came with a dead battery.  Since I do not leave my machine running
continually, one of my first orders of business was to replace the battery.
After reading about a battery upgrade by Amperfax:
I purchased a battery holder and lithium battery;
disassembled the machine;
cut out the old battery (it was quite firmly attached to the metal contacts);
soldered wires to the remaining portions of the contacts;
soldered the wires to the battery holder (being careful to get the polarity
right!);
ran the battery holder up into a (hopefully) safe location in the floppy
drive housing.
The clock works fine now (so does the floppy :-).

] I have heard rumors that AT&T doesn't want to mess with the job of replacing
] batteries and will in fact swap whole boards (!) to avoid doing so.  I heard
] this from the rep of another company which sells battery replacement kits.
] Does this make any sense?

I think it was a poor idea to solder the battery in place.

Eric J. Krohn
krohn@ctt.ctt.bellcore.com  or  {allegra,bellcore,ihnp4,seismo}!u1100a!krohn
Bell Communications Research,	444 Hoes Ln,    Piscataway, NJ 08854
/* End of text from looney:unix-pc.general */