[unix-pc.general] Using PCOMM

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (06/21/88)

HELP!!

I cannot get PCOMM to work with my external Telebit Trailblazer Plus.
I think I have things set up right, but it acts really strange.

If I try to use one of the dialer menu entries, it goes off-hook and
never dials anything, but waits for a connect.

If I try to dial manually, it dials okay and the modem connects, but
PCOMM never sees that the connection has happened.

I am not real surprised, because I don't see the things that I need
to get set up.

I run with the interface locked at 9600 baud, regardless of the speed
of the connection.  This is important for my uucp connections, and is
not something I can afford to change.  I have the dialer entry for
my target system set for 9600, because that's how it should look to
pcomm.

I have the connect messages set up the way I think they should be.  In
this particular case what's important is the CONNECT 1200 message.
It comes in okay using 'cu'.

Any ideas what's wrong?  At this point, running HDB, I am unable to
get PCOMM or ATE working on this line, and cu won't capture my conversations,
which is *real* important to what I'm doing.

HELP!!!

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (06/22/88)

In article <417@kosman.UUCP>, kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
> HELP!!
>
> I cannot get PCOMM to work with my external Telebit Trailblazer Plus.
> I think I have things set up right, but it acts really strange.
>
> If I try to use one of the dialer menu entries, it goes off-hook and
> never dials anything, but waits for a connect.
>
> If I try to dial manually, it dials okay and the modem connects, but
> PCOMM never sees that the connection has happened.
> [...]
> HELP!!!

It works for me.  Have you installed all the patches to pcomm?  One of them
(I think patch 2) fixes a bug that prevents pcomm from sending the dial string
to an external modem.  There is also a fix in one of tha patches that sets
the line to CLOCAL so you can send characters to the modem if DCD is low.

If you have installed the patches, try this modem setup:

Modem init string ....     AAAAAT!AT!AT!ATS0=0S2=43S95=0M1!
			   ^			 ^ Don't forget the CR.
                           The A's make it autobaud.  The AT's make sure uugetty
			      lets go of the line (if you are running HDB).
Dialing command ......     ATDTW
				^  No CR here.
Dialing cmd suffix ...     !
Hang up string .......     ~~+++~~ATH!
300 baud connect .....     CONNECT 300
1200 Baud connect ....     CONNECT 1200
2400 baud connect ....     CONNECT 2400
9600 baud connect ....     CONNECT FAST
No connect string 1 ..     NO CARRIER
No connect string 2 ..     ERROR
No connect string 3 ..     BUSY

I hope this helps.

--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
mtune  \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (06/23/88)

In article <516@rbdc.UUCP> andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) writes:
>In article <417@kosman.UUCP>, I wrote:
>> I cannot get PCOMM to work with my external Telebit Trailblazer Plus.
>> I think I have things set up right, but it acts really strange.
>>
>> If I try to use one of the dialer menu entries, it goes off-hook and
>> never dials anything, but waits for a connect.
>>
>> If I try to dial manually, it dials okay and the modem connects, but
>> PCOMM never sees that the connection has happened.
>
>It works for me.  Have you installed all the patches to pcomm?  One of them
>(I think patch 2) fixes a bug that prevents pcomm from sending the dial string
>to an external modem.  There is also a fix in one of tha patches that sets
>the line to CLOCAL so you can send characters to the modem if DCD is low.
>
>If you have installed the patches, try this modem setup:

I'm trying.  No joy.  I have patches through 4 (1 and 2 were included in the
distribution I started with).  I don't autobaud because I have found it
necessary to lock the interface at 9600 for other reasons -- basically, too
many of my callers had trouble getting uugetty to cycle through baud rates,
and there are 3 different rates in use.

I still have some trouble with the design of the setups here.  There doesn't
seem to be any way to adapt to a multi-speed modem.  What I'm looking for
and not finding is something like 300 SETUP, 1200 SETUP, etc., which would
be command strings to the modem to set up for outgoing calls at those rates.
This can be important on 'blazers, because lots of us run with s92=1, which
means that two 9600-capable modems can get tricked into talking at 1200 baud
because we're trying to be kind to folks who have short timeouts and who only
talk at that rate.

Anyway, I have found a way to get ATE working, and I'm back to that for now.
I could not get it to dial the 'blazer, so I lied to it and set up the line
to be 'COMPUTER' instead of a modem, and it gives me a direct connection to
the line.  I type my own modem commands and get connected that way.  Then I
can capture files, and do printing and all the other stuff I really need.

Since I am telecommuting for a living (2500 miles in the blink of an eye) I
am more interested in what works than what is elegant.  The idea of PCOMM is
just fine -- but I can't get it to work, and it looks like the design is a
little bit short of what I need anyway.

Now if anyone could get either of these packages to work right, I would still
appreciate it

- ATE to dial an external trailblazer
- PCOMM to use an external trailblazer

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (06/24/88)

In article <419@kosman.UUCP>, kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
> In article <516@rbdc.UUCP> andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) writes:
> >In article <417@kosman.UUCP>, I wrote:
> >> I cannot get PCOMM to work with my external Telebit Trailblazer Plus.
> >> I think I have things set up right, but it acts really strange.
> >>
> >It works for me.  Have you installed all the patches to pcomm?  One of them
>
> I'm trying.  No joy.  I have patches through 4 (1 and 2 were included in the
> distribution I started with).  I don't autobaud because I have found it
> necessary to lock the interface at 9600 for other reasons -- basically, too

If you have the speed of the rs232 interface locked, there is a problem.
If Pcomm gets a match to one of the low speed connect strings, it will set
the line to that speed.  This means if the modems sends "CONECT 1200", and
that is defined in the 1200 baud connect string in the modem setup, pcomm
will set the line to 1200 baud.  But if the modem is locked to 9600 baud
it won't work.  You might try leaving all the connect string entries in the
modem setup blank, and simply place "CONNECT" in the 9600 connect string.
This might fool things into working.  Or better, You could place "ATS66=0"
in the Init string and unlock the modem when dialing out.  It you have
S52=2 the modem will reset to the eerom parameters when DTR drops.
--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
mtune  \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked
kd4nc   !gladys!rbdc!andy  : into his mind and he died of what he saw there."
pacbell/                   :   --_The Forgotten Beast of Eld_, McKillip--

egray@fthood.UUCP (06/24/88)

Reference: getting Pcomm to work with trailblazer

Pcomm has a "feature" that is a blessing for some, and a curse for
others.  It has to do with the ability to automatically sync the TTY to
a different baud rate.  Here is what I intended:

        1) You can't remember if a remote system has 2400 baud or 1200
        baud modems, so you pick 2400 baud to call them.

        2) Your TTY (and modem) are set to 2400 baud to place the call.

        3) Lo and behold, they only have 1200 baud modems and you get
        the "CONNECT 1200" message.

        4) At this point, your modem has sync'ed at 1200 baud, the
        remote system's modem has sync'ed at 1200 baud, BUT THE TTY IS
        STILL AT 2400 BAUD!

        5) Pcomm will check the return message from the modem (ie. the
        "CONNECT 1200") and determine that the baud rate to the TTY
        should be changed.

For you guys with trailblazers locked at 9600 baud, this is definately
not what you want.  You need to disable the "autobaud detect" feature of
Pcomm.  The way to do this, is to change all the connect strings to
"CONNECT".  Pcomm checks to see if the connect strings are the same; if
they are, it skips the autobaud stuff.

Also, if the trailblazer is locked at 9600 baud, shouldn't all the
dialing directory entries have the baud rate set to 9600 rather than the
speed at which they answer???

I'm gonna have to get me one and play with it a few days...

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057