[unix-pc.general] External full height drives?

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (06/22/88)

Is it possible to use a full height external drive on the 7300?

Does anyone know where to start patching to use all 17 of the sectors on a
track instead of just 16? How about a 512 byte filesystem instead of a 1K
one?

Can the SCSI board access more than one SCSI device? Is the driver for it
general, or hardwired for only one drive?

Can the window manager be patched to allow moving/resizing of a window without
a boarder? How about moving over the entire screen, not just the middle part.
And does anyone know how to get it to scroll text faster?

				Michael
: ---
: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!denwa!stb!michael
:				sdcsvax!crash!gryphon!denwa!stb!michael
: What would have happened if we had lost World War 2. Well, the west coast
: would be owned by Japan, we would all be driving foreign cars, hmm...

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (06/24/88)

In article <10444@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> [...]
> Can the SCSI board access more than one SCSI device? Is the driver for it
> general, or hardwired for only one drive?

What SCSI Drive?

Bob Ames      INET: bob@rush.cts.com

Howard Publications, Inc.   Bell: 208-733-0931
UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc, sun!ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"

"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987

wilkes@mips.COM (John, not Maurice) (07/01/88)

In article <10453@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
+In article <747@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
+>In article <10444@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (me) writes:
+>> [...]
+>> Can the SCSI board access more than one SCSI device? Is the driver for it
+>> general, or hardwired for only one drive?
+>
+>What SCSI Drive?
+>
+>Bob Ames      INET: bob@rush.cts.com
+
+The SCSI board is being made by IDT; I called 800 information, and they had
+no listing on them.

IDT is in Newark, NJ; phone number is (302) 731-1583.  I spoke with Bill
Stubbles about three weeks ago, and he told me that the SCSI board was in
beta test at that time.  He said that they had a promotional offer of the
SCSI board plus a "generic" SCSI driver for $350.  I whipped out my plastic
and placed an order.  I was told that they would be shipping around the end
of the month (which is now).  I do not know how long the "special
promotion" will last, nor do I know what the "non-special-promotional"
price will be.  Nor do I know if the SCSI board can access more than one
device.  Nor do I have any idea what their "generic" SCSI driver looks
like.  Frankly, I don't care - I would want it no matter what the answers
to those questions.

Bill Stubbles seemed like a knowledgable sort, has a 3B1 himself.  He said
that IDT sees a market in all of us, and they intend to develop more 3B1
based products.  He told me what some of the currently-in-development
things are, but I forget (they say short-term memory is the first thing to
go...)  He was aware of the net and that IDT had been mentioned here.  (In
fact, I'd guess he's reading this - Hi, Bill.)

If anyone from IDT *is* reading this, I don't think that netiquette would
be violated by answering specific questions about your product.  In fact
I'd call it a public service.

Any beta-testers out there?  How's about a review?

I'll post more information when my board arrives.

+: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!denwa!stb!michael

-wilkes
--
-- work: {decwrl ames pyramid prls}!mips!wilkes  -OR-  wilkes@mips.com