[unix-pc.general] Problems with line printer on a unixpc

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (06/27/88)

I just reconnected my printer to my unixpc after about a year of
non-use.

When I tried to print sonething, nothing came out (no suprise there :-)).
But I was never able to get anything to work.

lpstat -r said that the scheduler is not running.

Invoking lpsched did not seem to help.
Neither did enable or accept.
I tried to reset the printer form the UA, but that did not help.
The /etc/rc file seems to start the lp system, but rebooting did not help.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  (Probably something simple.)

Thanks

Tom Tkacik
tkacik
gmr.com

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (06/29/88)

In article <626@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>I just reconnected my printer to my unixpc after about a year of
|>non-use.
|>
|>When I tried to print sonething, nothing came out (no suprise there :-)).
|>But I was never able to get anything to work.
|>
|>lpstat -r said that the scheduler is not running.
|>
|>Invoking lpsched did not seem to help.
|>Neither did enable or accept.
|>I tried to reset the printer form the UA, but that did not help.
|>The /etc/rc file seems to start the lp system, but rebooting did not help.
|>
|>Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  (Probably something simple.)

Probably just a stay lock file that is telling /usr/lib/lpsched not to
start the scheduler.  You might want to check the file:

$ ls -l /usr/spool/lp/SCHEDLOCK
-r--r--r--  1 lp      other         4 Jun 26 13:01 SCHEDLOCK

If it is there and the scheduler is not running, you can remove it.

You might want to check to make sure there is a line in /etc/.cleanup
that reads:

rm -f /usr/spool/lp/SCHEDLOCK

Good luck,
Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (06/29/88)

In article <626@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>I just reconnected my printer to my unixpc after about a year of
>non-use.
>
>When I tried to print sonething, nothing came out (no suprise there :-)).
>But I was never able to get anything to work.
>
>lpstat -r said that the scheduler is not running.
>
>Invoking lpsched did not seem to help.
>Neither did enable or accept.
>I tried to reset the printer form the UA, but that did not help.
>The /etc/rc file seems to start the lp system, but rebooting did not help.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  (Probably something simple.)

Nope, I don't expect that this is all that simple.  The scheduler will not
stay running unless the contents of the /usr/spool/lp/ tree are just right.
It's very sensitive, and has no diagnostic messages.

Try lpstat -t and see if anything is obviously wrong.  Try to see if there
are things in the queue which no longer exist.  Make sure there are the
proper directories for EVERY legal destination.  Make sure the fifo
/usr/spool/lp/FIFO does not exist until after the scheduler creates it.
If all else fails, get a cpio archive of a working /usr/spool/lp/ and
replace your own.

Here's the skeleton of the tree at this site:

- du
- 2	./class
- 3	./interface
- 2	./member
- 15	./model
- 44	./request/ATT471
- 1	./request/Parallel
- 46	./request
- 79	.

clb) (07/01/88)

	You must be "root" or lpsched will silently ignore you.

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/02/88)

In article <4656@killer.UUCP> loci@killer.UUCP (loci!clb) writes:

|>	You must be "root" or lpsched will silently ignore you.
|>
|>--
|>			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
|>	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083
|>	   clb@loci.uucp, loci@killer.uucp, loci@csccat.uucp

Another one of AT&T lovely program's that give the user the proper
diagnostics...  Even though the program has the strings for the
diagnostics:

Taken from the string table of the /usr/lib/lpsched program:
this command for use only by LP Administrators
LP Administrator not in password file
can't set user id to LP Administrator's user id
LP Administrator not in password file
..
BTW:  You can be root or user "lp".

-Lenny