[unix-pc.general] Crossposting within unix-pc.*

mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) (06/29/88)

It seems to me that crossposting has become the reason that a lot of
folks have to read through a lot of stuff on the net.  And that's OK,
since there are some 200+ groups on usenet.  But, this little sub-net,
unix-pc.*, is entirely for folks who share a common interest.  Therefore,
when I see articles cross-posted within this very group, I find it annoying.

I'm not trying to flame anybody, but merely to *humbly* suggest that (unless
I'm wrong, and there are folks out there who read unix-pc.general but *not*
unix-pc.uucp, etc) it would be more *elegant* to not cross-post *within* this
little group.

One other thought.  Unix-pc.sources might be a good place to post sources,
but it might be a good idea to see if somebody out there might want to actually
moderate it.  That way, we could have a central repository of information
(somebody with the charisma of Rich $alz).  Just a thought.

					Mike Levin

--
+---+  P L E A S E    R E S P O N D   T O: +---+  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/02/88)

In article <226@magnus.UUCP> mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) writes:
|>It seems to me that crossposting has become the reason that a lot of
|>folks have to read through a lot of stuff on the net.  And that's OK,
|>since there are some 200+ groups on usenet.  But, this little sub-net,
|>unix-pc.*, is entirely for folks who share a common interest.  Therefore,
|>when I see articles cross-posted within this very group, I find it annoying.
|>
|>I'm not trying to flame anybody, but merely to *humbly* suggest that (unless
|>I'm wrong, and there are folks out there who read unix-pc.general but *not*
|>unix-pc.uucp, etc) it would be more *elegant* to not cross-post *within* this
|>little group.

I agree about crossposting.  There is no need to crosspost an article to
unix-pc.general and then to unix-pc.uucp.  If it's UUCP related it should
only be unix-pc.general.  Another thought is to expand the unix-pc group
hiearchy to other than:
				unix-pc.general
				unix-pc.misc
				unix-pc.sources
				unix-pc.test
				unix-pc.uucp

First of all get rid of unix-pc.misc (it's the same thing as unix-pc.general)
and I've never ever seen anything posted to that group.  It's might be
more useful to get a few extra groups on specific unix-pc related topics:

A few suggestions:
   unix-pc.software.att      - Discussion of AT&T supported UNIX pc software
   unix-pc.software.3rdparty - Discussion of 3rd party software & vendors
   unix-pc.software.user     - Discussion about user created software
   unix-pc.hardware.att      - Discussion of AT&T hardware for the 3B1
   unix-pc.hardware.3rdparty - Discussion of 3rd party hardware & vendors
   unix-pc.hardware.user     - Discussion about user created hardware
   unix-pc.security          - Discussion of the security issues on the 3B1
   unix-pc.programming       - Programming issues on the 3B1 (tam, curses,
                               shared libraries, gnu-cc, etc.)
   unix-pc.os.bugs           - Discussion on current operating system software
			       bug issues related (system crashes, etc..)
   unix-pc.sources.d         - Discussion on software posted to unix-pc.sources
   unix-pc.sources.bugs      - Discussion on bugs and bug fixes to software
			       posted to unix-pc.sources

These are only suggestions.. want a vote on this... mail me and I'll
compile the results.  If you have your own suggestions, please add it.  Keep
the *VOTING* off the NET, please use E-mail.

|>One other thought.  Unix-pc.sources might be a good place to post sources,
|>but it might be a good idea to see if somebody out there might want to
|>actually moderate it.  That way, we could have a central repository of
|>information (somebody with the charisma of Rich $alz).  Just a thought.

Well this is good and bad.  Basically one person is in charge of all the
sources for the UNIX PC community, but this slows down the posting of sources.
I really haven't seen *too* much non-related sources posted to unix-pc.sources.
If the unix-pc community really wants moderated unix-pc.sources, I volunteer.
(I don't know if I have Rich $alz charisma, but why not :->)

Want to vote on this... E-mail me as well!

Devoted UNIX PC-er,
Lenny

--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \

clb) (07/03/88)

In article <408@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> If the unix-pc community really wants moderated unix-pc.sources, I volunteer.
> (I don't know if I have Rich $alz charisma, but why not :->)

	Delusions of granduer? The volume in these groups would be
	quite low if people didn't use them to belly-ache all the
	time. Useful stuff will easily fit into the existing groups.

	All the unix-pc.sources for the past  year or so are in the
	"killer" archives. These are admin'd by wisner@killer and
	are readily available to everyone.

	Let's restrain the urge to pollute the net with further
	chatter until a real need arises. The groups that exist
	at present are adequate to meet the need.

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/04/88)

In article <4675@killer.UUCP> loci@killer.UUCP (loci!clb) writes:
|>In article <408@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|>> If the unix-pc community really wants moderated unix-pc.sources, I
|>> volunteer. (I don't know if I have Rich $alz charisma, but why not :->)
|>>
|>	Delusions of granduer? The volume in these groups would be
|>	quite low if people didn't use them to belly-ache all the
|>	time. Useful stuff will easily fit into the existing groups.

*FLAME ON*
You seem to always take things out of context, don't you.  If you
happen to look back on the article that I "replied" to it was in
reference to possibily getting an *OFFICIAL* moderator for unix-pc.sources.
While their might be various people archiving the sources groups, it
usually is the job of the moderator.

As far as delusions of granduer... I think I can talk for quite a number
of unix-pc.* readers in saying that I have participated in many discussions,
started many myself and I have an excellent reputation with the net-at-large.
I was just offering my ongoing assistance in being the moderator to
the unix-pc.sources group, if the majority wanted it!
*FLAME OFF*

|>	All the unix-pc.sources for the past  year or so are in the
|>	"killer" archives. These are admin'd by wisner@killer and
|>	are readily available to everyone.

Yes, I know this.  I was just offering a solution.  If Bill want's to
offer one himself, by all means!!

|>	Let's restrain the urge to pollute the net with further
|>	chatter until a real need arises. The groups that exist
|>	at present are adequate to meet the need.

As for "polluting" the net, I certainly disagree with you.  My posed solution
wouldn't increase the net traffic, it would only categorize articles, and
avoid lumping them into vague newsgroups like unix-pc.general.

I might have gotten carried away with all the new groups, but maybe
a few other specific groups would be a viable solution.  If everyone wants
to keep things the way they are, so be it... If there are more people out
there who are thinking the same as I, speak up!

Yes, I realize the traffic in unix-pc.* is low, and therefore go against
my unix-pc.general reorganization.