[net.dcom] Want information on Zipper modem

albert@kim.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Anthony &) (02/24/86)

In March, '86 Byte Magazine, there is an ad on page 431 for a:
CCITT V22, V22BIS, Bell 212A, and Bell 103 Compatible modem called
the Zipper for $399. It says 2400 baud, but I guess from the compatibilities
that it is 300 and 1200 also. It has a 2 year warranty. Does anyone know
anything about it? Also, does anyone have any experience with Priority 1
Electronics (it's their ad).
				Anthony Albert
				..!ucbvax!kim!albert
				albert@kim.berkeley.edu

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/02/86)

I ordered a Zipper from Priority 1.  When it hadn't arrived in a
few days, I called to find out why.

It turns out that 2400 baud Zipper is in very short supply.  The
first shipment (of 30 modems) was in customs that day (Friday Feb 28)
and the 30 modems were expected at Priority 1 Monday the 3rd.  My
order was apparently not in the first 100 on their list.  They had
no idea when the second shipment might arrive.

They also tell me the Zipper is a Hayes clone - no extra features.

What I'm really looking for is a 2400 baud Hayes compatible modem
which also supports a reasonably user-friendly command set, with
things like a prompt, echoing, and a help command.  Things like
the old Ventel or Penril are fine, but not Cermetek.  I also need
Hayes compatibility because I'm tired of not being able to use
software that only knows how to dial a Hayes.  MNP would be nice
but isn't essential.  I understand Prometheus has Hayes compatible
modems with a user-friendly front end, but only goes to 1200 baud.

Modem ads don't mention user friendly interfaces - apparently they
all assume you have a program in your PC that handles all that.  Foo.

Any suggestions?

	Mark

corey@svo.UUCP (03/10/86)

Well if you are looking for a Hayes-compatible 2400 baud modem with MNP
and a fairly friendly front end....   I have been using a Microcom AX/2400
for about 3 or 4 months and I am very happy with it.  The MNP support
is flawless. (It should be since MNP is Microcom Network Protocol)

	It has two modes of operation.  The first is Microcom's "SX" mode which
has some very nice features such as independant speeds on the RS-232
line and the phone line.  This is a blessing for all of those people
out there without source since you can set the terminal line speed to 9600
and let the modem take care of the conversion to 300, 1200 or 2400.  On most
systems that are pre-System V there is baud switch support for 300 and
1200.  This mode also has a dialing directory and configuration menus of
sorts.  i.e. not REAL menus but at least you can check all of the soft
switches with 3 commands...  The second mode is so far fully Hayes 2400
compatible.

	One thing to mention is that you will probably find 3 2400
baud modems from Microcom:

	SX/2400		"SX" mode only..  NO Hayes compatibility
	ZX/2400		"Hayes" mode + MNP.  NO SX features...
	AX/2400		Both of the above + $200 or so cheaper.
			It also is replacing both of the above.

	Also they have 3 more modems that (according to them, I haven't
tested them) support 4800, 9600 and 19.2K data rates over standard 2-wire
dialup phone lines.  They are:

	AX/2400c	Same as regular AX/2400 but does data compression
			between the serial port and the phone line so that
			the phone line only sees 2400 baud but the throughput
			is 4800 baud.

	AX/9612		Same as regular AX/2400 but does data transfers at
			9600 baud.

	AX/9624c	Same as AX/9612 but does data compression
			between the serial port and the phone line so that
			the phone line only sees 9600 baud but the throughput
			is 19.2K baud.

	I'm not sure about the name of the AX/9612...  But I think this is
right.  Anyway.........

If you have any questions lemme know......

Corey McCormick
MicroAge Computer Stores
7029 South Memorial
Tulsa, OK  74133
(918) 254-8000
....ihnp4!okstate!svo!corey

Quote:
"All I ask is an SVO and a winding stretch of traffic-less road.
Of course, Bill's #9 would suffice if the road was all left-handers....."

All of the usual disclaimers go here since they have
no idea what I am doing, but then neither do I.....

[...]

If you have any questions let me know......

Corey McCormick
(918) 254-8000
USENET: 	{ihnp4,cbosgd}!okstate!svo!corey

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/14/86)

In article <12900002@svo.UUCP> corey@svo.UUCP writes:

>	AX/2400c	Same as regular AX/2400 but does data compression
>			between the serial port and the phone line so that
>			the phone line only sees 2400 baud but the throughput
>			is 4800 baud.
This seems reasonable.

>	AX/9612		Same as regular AX/2400 but does data transfers at
>			9600 baud.
>
>	AX/9624c	Same as AX/9612 but does data compression
>			between the serial port and the phone line so that
>			the phone line only sees 9600 baud but the throughput
>			is 19.2K baud.

These don't.  It seems that the initial data compression (modem <-> modem)
would make it difficult to achieve any further reduction through data
compression techniques, since the already-compressed data would have no
regularity that can be exploited.  As Shannon might say:

    +++
   +   ++			++++++++
  +      +			+      +

uncompressed data		compressed data
distribution			distribution (ideal)
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

baron@transys.UUCP (Joe Portman) (03/15/86)

> Well if you are looking for a Hayes-compatible 2400 baud modem with MNP
> and a fairly friendly front end....   I have been using a Microcom AX/2400
> for about 3 or 4 months and I am very happy with it.  The MNP support
> is flawless. (It should be since MNP is Microcom Network Protocol)
>
> 	It has two modes of operation.  The first is Microcom's "SX" mode which
> has some very nice features such as independant speeds on the RS-232
> line and the phone line.  This is a blessing for all of those people
> out there without source since you can set the terminal line speed to 9600
> and let the modem take care of the conversion to 300, 1200 or 2400.  On most
> systems that are pre-System V there is baud switch support for 300 and
> 1200.  This mode also has a dialing directory and configuration menus of
> sorts.  i.e. not REAL menus but at least you can check all of the soft
> switches with 3 commands...  The second mode is so far fully Hayes 2400
> compatible.
> If you have any questions lemme know......
>

> Corey McCormick
> MicroAge Computer Stores
> 7029 South Memorial
> Tulsa, OK  74133
> (918) 254-8000
> ....ihnp4!okstate!svo!corey

--------------------------------

I have been using the same Microcom AX2400  modems  for  quite  a
while  (4  months)  and  I  have twelve of them in 7 geographical
locations in the states. I am very pleased with them  except  for
one complaint:

If the computer has been powered up and down, (I.E. power failure
or  boot),  the  $%&$^%&  modem  must  be reset manually. This is
pretty  annoying  especially  when  your  remote  sites  are  un-
attended.  I  have  read  the  manual  cover  to cover and cannot
discover  a  way  to  correct  the  problem.  I  use  the   modem
exclusively in Hayes mode with Auto-reliable(error correction).

Also, of the 12 in use, two have failed. By failed  I  mean  they
have  lost their 2400 baud capability and will now only answer at
1200.

Otherwise the AX-2400 is really a remarkable piece of equipment.

Feel free to FLAME if you disagree.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated in any way with Microcom, or  any
body else for that matter.

Joe Portman
TransSystems Incorporated
1280 116th Avenue NE
Bellevue WA 98009
1-206-453-5560
ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!camco!transys!root