[unix-pc.general] MUSH on 7300

jim_belgium_sanchez@cup.portal.com (07/05/88)

I have been trying to get a working MUSH for a while now.  I have
modified the sources to use /bin/mail for the mail agent.  When I
invoke mush, it outputs the Subject: header but does not wait for
the subject to be entered.  Do I need to do anything else or is
that just the way it works.

Also, having been away from the net awhile, I seem to have missed
out on any description as to how to apply the massive patches now
being put out for MUSH.  There surely must be an easier way that
doing it manually.  Any help here would surely be appreciated.

Jim Sanchez
..!hplabs!sytek!jim

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (07/07/88)

In article <7109@cup.portal.com> jim_belgium_sanchez@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have been trying to get a working MUSH for a while now.  I have
>modified the sources to use /bin/mail for the mail agent.  When I
>invoke mush, it outputs the Subject: header but does not wait for
>the subject to be entered.  Do I need to do anything else or is
>that just the way it works.

You need to put "set ask" in your ~/.mushrc file.  Ask, says "prompt
for subject".  If the variable is not defined mush expects the subject
to be included in the command line with the -s switch.  Here is a copy of
my .mushrc file:
set ask askcc dot crt=24 editor=/usr/bin/vi record=+/sentmail autosign
set in_reply_to="%n's message of %d." mil_time pager=less visual=vspell
bind \E[A back msg
bind \E[B next msg
bind \E[T first msg
bind \E[S last msg
bind \E[V screen back
bind \E[U screen next
alias xyzzy foo!bar!xyzzy
This causes mush to prompt for the subject (ask) and the CC list (askcc).
It reconizes dot as the end of letter (dot). Does not invoke the pager
unless there are more than 24 lines in the letter (crt=24).  Invokes
vi with the ~e command (editor=...).  Saves letters you write in
~/.Mail/sentmail (record=...) (Note the + is short for $HOME/Mail/).
Always signs letters with your ~/.signature (autosign).  Makes your
(in_reply_to=...).  Use military time format (mil_time).  Sets the pager
to less (pager=...) (I like to be able to back up pages).  And sets
the ~v command to invoke vspell (visual=...) (makes checking spelling
real easy).

All the variables are documented in the mush manual beginning on page 35.

The bind command's make the arrow keys work as follows:
Up arrow:  move up one message.
Down arrow: mode down one message.
Shift-Up arrow:  go to first message on screen.
Shift-Down arrow: go to last message on screen.
Page: back up one screen
Shift Page: forward one screen.

The alias command sends mail addressed to xyzzy to foo!bar!xyzzy.

>Also, having been away from the net awhile, I seem to have missed
>out on any description as to how to apply the massive patches now

You need a copy of patch V2.  It was posted to unix-pc.sources a few
weeks ago, and is available form anonymous ftp.

Also if you don't have it, you should get a copy of smail.  It is easy
to install and understands addresses in the form "user@foo.BAR".  It works
well with mush.  Simply set:
#define MAIL_DELIVERY	"/bin/smail "
In config.h.

I hope this helps.
--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
att    \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked