[unix-pc.general] icon editor for unixpc

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (07/07/88)

Does anybody know of a font editor, or icon editor that can be used to put
rastor images in to a C program?

I am in the process of writing the Mahjongg game for the UNIX PC, and
am having just a little difficulty :-) in making the required tiles.
I have designed them using Paint_Power, (and they look suprisingly good),
but now I need to generate the C code for initializing the tile array.

Does such a program exist?
It can't be possible that I have to do this by hand.

Tom Tkacik
tkacik@gmr.com

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/09/88)

In article <788@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>Does anybody know of a font editor, or icon editor that can be used to put
>rastor images in to a C program?
>
>I am in the process of writing the Mahjongg game for the UNIX PC, and
>am having just a little difficulty :-) in making the required tiles.
>I have designed them using Paint_Power, (and they look suprisingly good),
>but now I need to generate the C code for initializing the tile array.

You *AREN'T* gonna like this ...

There's a program I've heard of that does exactly this kind of thing, but
under DOS.  It's some kind of mouse-driven graphics editor that emits C code
to draw the picture.  In theory if you had a DOS machine you could port the
code, assuming you had translations for / implementations of the primitives.
They have a version for Metawindows and for Turbo C, Microsoft C, and a couple
of others.  The company is called Courseware Applications, Inc. 475 Devonshire
Drive, Champaign IL 61820, (217) 359-1878.  The product is called Drawbridge.
I saw an ad in Dr. Dobbs, I think, and sent for a flyer.  The flyer isn't very
helpful in deciding what the thing can really do.

This is more a "draw" program than a "paint" program -- i.e. it appears to be
object orient rather than straight bit-mapped, and of course the fact that it
runs under DOS is a pain in a tender place.  The version for MetaWindows costs
$129!  But the versions for Turbo C, etc. cost only $49.

Well, as I say, this probably won't help you, but I thought I would pass it
along.  Probably your best bet is to either find or crack the format for paint
power.

I know nothing about either the product or the company except what I read in
their flyer.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

clb) (07/11/88)

In article <292@amanue.UUCP>, jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
+ In article <788@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
+>Does anybody know of a font editor, or icon editor that can be used to put
+>rastor images in to a C program?
+>
+>I am in the process of writing the Mahjongg game for the UNIX PC, and
+>am having just a little difficulty :-) in making the required tiles.
+>I have designed them using Paint_Power, (and they look suprisingly good),

> There's a program I've heard of that does exactly this kind of thing, but
> it runs under DOS.

	The program "fatbit" from the STORE! does something like what
	you describe. You can diddle individual bits until you like
	the icon, then output the 'c' data array for use with rastop.
	Hope this helps.
--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083