[net.dcom] Hidden information in datacomm

hes@ncsu.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (02/27/86)

<>After reading the discussion on how the inter-character distances
of a printout (easy to do on a laser printer) could be used to encode
information, I started thinking about other places to hide information.
  One place I came up with can hold quite a bit (pun intentional) of
information is the stop bit of serial ascii transmission.  (One can
consider this another example of inter-character distances.)  It
wouldn't take very much special in the way of extra hardware to
generate a few different lengths of stop bits (e.g., 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2,
and 1 3/4 bit timings long) and to differentiate between them at
receipt.  However most data communications equipment will completely
ignore these differences (and have indeed been designed to ignore
them.)
  The information could be lost if the data transmission went through
a regenerator or a packet net, ... .
  Has anyone been doing this?
--henry schaffer

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (03/04/86)

In article <3031@ncsu.UUCP> hes@ncsu.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
><>After reading the discussion on how the inter-character distances
>of a printout (easy to do on a laser printer) could be used to encode
>information, I started thinking about other places to hide information.
>  One place I came up with can hold quite a bit (pun intentional) of
>information is the stop bit of serial ascii transmission.  (One can
>consider this another example of inter-character distances.)  It
>wouldn't take very much special in the way of extra hardware to
>generate a few different lengths of stop bits (e.g., 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2,
>and 1 3/4 bit timings long) and to differentiate between them at
	One tries to design optimal filters for modems based on the
signalling speed. Thus, if you are using a 1200bps modem, the data
filters (which are essential for improving the signal to noise ration)
will cut off information above the 1200bps rate. The different lengths
of stop bits correspond to increasing the baud rate of the line (they
add higher frequencies to the baseband signal. Hence, the better the
modem you use, the worse this technique will work!
--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/16/86)

In article <611@anasazi.UUCP>, john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
> In article <3031@ncsu.UUCP> hes@ncsu.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
> >  One place I came up with can hold quite a bit (pun intentional) of
> >information is the stop bit of serial ascii transmission.  (One can
> >consider this another example of inter-character distances.)  It
> >wouldn't take very much special in the way of extra hardware to
> >generate a few different lengths of stop bits (e.g., 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2,
> >and 1 3/4 bit timings long)...

In fact, some of the more recent UART or SCC chips allow you to set
"stop bit shaving" like the above.  The reason is that if you are relaying
data, someone could be feeding you data with a slightly overspeed clock
(say 1210 baud instead of 1200).  If you pass it on at 1200 you will
need infinite bufferring.  Instead, when your buffer starts to fill,
you can shave your stop bits down to 3/4 bit time and catch up.

Also note that many high speed modems receive your async data and
convert it to synchronous for the actual modem<->modem protocol.
I recall seeing 4800 baud modem designs work that way.  This would
blow away the shaved stop bits.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/17/86)

In article <622@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Also note that many high speed modems receive your async data and
>convert it to synchronous for the actual modem<->modem protocol.
>I recall seeing 4800 baud modem designs work that way.  This would
>blow away the shaved stop bits.

Modems as slow as Bell 212 convert async input to sync data before
putting it out on the phone line.

This (shaving stop bits to transmit data) is a very boring subject, in
my opinion. If you can modulate at twice your bit rate or four times
your bit rate, why not just send ALL your bits faster? Why stop with
only diddling the stop bit? (this paragraph is in response to the
original question. John Gilmore's article points out a useful
application of bit shaving.)
--
 "We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will become the
  present, and respect the past, knowing that once it was all that was

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com