[unix-pc.general] Of newsgroup proliferation and moderation

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (07/17/88)

In article <2323@rtech.rtech.com> daveb@llama.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>I don't see any reason to moderate the unix-pc newsgroups.

Fine.  All I would like to see is *someone* taking responsibility for
archiving and cataloguing UNIXpc software, and making same available
for anonymous uucp and/or ftp.  There have been a couple of weak
attempts at this in the past, but they failed (in my opinion) because
access sites were spread all over the net, no site had everything, and
lists of software were posted sporadically at best.  This can be done
with or without a moderated unix-pc.sources; the point is just that it
should be done, if someone's willing.

>It would be good to create a .bugs group to tidy .general some.  I may
>just do that in a few days unless there are some strong objections.

I think this is a dandy idea.  The UNIXpc has enough bugs to support
some lively discussion in this area.  And this will enable Charlie
Brunow to avoid reading all the "bellyaching" he so hates :-)
Do it.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I think unix-pc.uucp should either be
deleted or renamed.  Is there really any reason to separate uucp
discussions from general?  You MIGHT want to rename it to something
like unix-pc.net for meta-discussions such as these, posting unix-pc
network maps, info about machine downtime, requests for feeds, etc.
(again, real small volume here).  I rather suspect that this was the
original intent.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania