[unix-pc.general] How The 3B1 Got Its Name

simmons@applga.uucp (Steve Simmons) (07/20/88)

In article <1073@gethen.UUCP> isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>But I just want to point out
>that the "3B1" label is pure marketing eyewash.  Long before the 7300
>(previously known as the Unix PC, before that known as the Safari 4,
>before that known as MicroFrame), . . .
>s 3B series was a line of micros and minis.  The micros
>CPU was a proprietary chip.  Calling one of the versions of the 7300 the
>"3B1" was very misleading because *it* is based on the Motorola 68010.

Well, I won't swear any of the following is true.  But I got it from a
fairly reliable source...

AT&T was putting forward a line of small computers, based on three
processor archetectures: the WECO 32000 (the 3B line), the MC-680X0
(the 7300 line) and the iAPX80X86 (the 6300 line).

First in the 7300 line was the machine we all know and love.  This was
made by Convergent Technologies, and had brothers and cousins as mentioned
above.  First in the 6300 line was the machine of the same name, made
by Olivetti.  The 3B line debuted in a variety of sizes, smallest of
which was the 3B2.  AT&T made those themselves.

The low-end 3B2 was considerably more expensive than the best-configured
7300, and somewhat faster (the matter is open to debate, and I refuse
to participate).  Two projects ramped up: a bigger 7300 (called the
7310 or 7350, I forget which), and a smaller 3B, to be called the 3B1.
Convergent did the 7310, AT&T the 3B1.  Both were intended to be about
the same price.

Both machines were breadboarded about the same time.  Sample units were
taken by AT&T and benchmarked.  Much to the dismay of certian parties,
the 3B1 was slower on all tests, and would have cost more to boot.  Some
person (probably at Convergent) nicknamed the 7310 "The B-1 Bomber".
Some marketdroid heard this and said "Hey, we can cover our rears by
just selling the faster cheaper box and naming it the 3B1!", neglecting
any reason why the name might have meant something.

As said above, I won't swear any of this is true.  But if it isn't,
it certianly ought to be!

To the surprise of certian parties.
--
Steve Simmons