[unix-pc.general] Unixpc DWB and UA stuff

randy@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison) (07/20/88)

I just found this on my Unix-pc...  It appears to be part of the documenters
workbench.  The problem is that the drivers for the programs are not there.
E.g. style(1) is a shell script /usr/bin/style which uses the style[123]
programs.  I have no idea what the nd*, pa*, and sbj? files are for.  Can
someone tell me if it's possible to get the drivers so I can use these?
(oh, this is straight 3.51 installation)

/usr/lib/dwb:
deroff*		pages*		sbj1*		sbjprep*	style3*
ndexer*		parts*		sbj2*		style1*
ndxformat*	samples/	sbj3*		style2*

Oh, another topic...  I would like to be able to delete the user agent from
my system.  I have written a script which formats floppies, and I'm in the
process of hacking up the Install.sh and Instcpio.sh scripts so they don't
expect to be in ua.  What other things should I save or just remember when
I delete ua and all of /usr/lib/ua?

Thanks in advance!

	-randy
--
Randy Orrison, Control Data, Arden Hills, MN
randy@ux.acss.umn.edu	{bungia, uunet!hi-csc, rutgers, sun}!umn-cs!randy

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (07/22/88)

If you are gonna nuke the UA, like I have so proudly done, remember to keep
/usr/lib/ua/phipd (or is it phupd?  I can't remember).  It is a support file
for the phone manager (If you want to still use that.)  In fact, I think even
phclr blows up if it can't find that.

A lot of the User Agent scripts can be easily modified to be useful in a non-UA environment.  The easiest thing to do is replace the 'mesg' command, which
puts a window up and then echos that, then says touch enter to continue or
something like that, with 'echo'.  It has ben so long ago, I forget the details.

Also, you can kill off the smgr and just use 'cron' instead.  I do.  Smgr wants
to create all these annoying directories (so does ph).  I don't want those
annoying directories.  I don't even use the window manager.  It is not that
the window manager is evil (I think it is the only decent part of the UA stuff)
but rather that it was one of the first things to go when I started UA-related
stuff. :->

--

Rusty Hodge, HCR Inc, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667      (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038

oscar@sunspot.UUCP (Oscar Von der Luhe) (07/22/88)

In article <683@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

>If you are gonna nuke the UA, like I have so proudly done, remember to keep
>/usr/lib/ua/phipd ...
	[lots of detail on "what happens when" deleted]

Can anybody who has gone through this indicate how much disk space is freed up?
I have a 7300 with a 20MB HD and I am 95% full.
   __                                                        _
  / ')     /                                   /           _//       /
 /  / _   /_  __.  __     , __________      __/ _  __      /    . . /_  _
(__/ /_)_/ <_(_/|_/ (_    \/ (_) / / <_    (_/_</_/ (_    /___ (_/_/ /_</_

"... habe nun, ach ..., C, PASCAL, BASIC, und leider auch FORTRAN,
studiert mit heissem Bemueh'n..." (frei nach Goethe)

UUCP:			{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!sunspot!oscar
Internet:		ovonderluhe@noao.arizona.edu

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (07/24/88)

Nuking the UA involves deleting /usr/lib/UA/*,
 /usr/bin/[A-Z]* (These are all UA scripts), and a host of other silly things
that wont work without the UA like /u/Install/*, /u/tutor/*, etc. Space saved
is about a megabyte.
--
					:alex.
					Systems Programmer

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) (07/25/88)

In article <1105@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
> Nuking the UA involves deleting /usr/lib/UA/*,
>  /usr/bin/[A-Z]* (These are all UA scripts), and a host of other silly things
> that wont work without the UA like /u/Install/*, /u/tutor/*, etc. Space saved
> is about a megabyte.

So alex, what else must be done??? What files do you have to edit to get
cron going instead of the window manager, phone manager, and bla bla bla.
Do you have some shell scripts to do backup (yes I still use the ua for
that (sigh).) When the phone manager is dead is there any trouble
with outgoing calls (or does it work better 8*) How about when
AT&T sends out updates and patches (dont laugh, it may happen 8*)
                              -bob

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (07/25/88)

In article <815@naucse.UUCP> rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:
>In article <1105@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>> Nuking the UA involves deleting /usr/lib/UA/*,

>So alex, what else must be done??? What files do you have to edit to get
>cron going instead of the window manager, phone manager, and bla bla bla.

	I still use the window manager and smgr, I dont remember what the phone
manager does. If you blow away /usr/lib/UA, you lose the UA command, (ie the
window shell) and easy access to some of the programs like the MSDOS stuff.
The programs are still there, in /usr/bin[A-Z]*, and if you want to use them
you have to figure out what the command line arguments are. I saved the DOS
stuff and the RS232 port stuff, along with their related window driver scripts
somewhere on a disk in case I ever what to use them.

	I posted this because even though I don't use the UA, and never have,
the driver files hung around my system for months eating disk space (close to
a meg). That space might prove useful for someone with a small machine who
doesn't use the UA.

	wmgr and smgr are not related to the UA, the UA is a shell interface
that runs over the top of the system. I don't know about the phone manager,
But I think that it is a UA based application, and probably will complain it
the UA is not present.

	--

ford@elgar.UUCP (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (07/26/88)

In article <683@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
>Also, you can kill off the smgr and just use 'cron' instead.  I do.

Cron's work is just part of what smgr does.  Instead of smgr, I run
cron, update, and errdemon all the time, and usually run icus!lenny's
sysinfo program when I'm logged in (I modified it to display the date
& time).

Conveniently, cron and update are supplied with the Unix PC, but
errdemon wasn't.  I wrote a simple version, available for the asking.

Trivia:  the write(1) command sends messages to a user logged in on the
console by *WRITING* to /dev/error and letting smgr put the pop-up
window on the screen.  Somebody at CT was on drugs when they came up
with *that* idea.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (07/26/88)

In article <815@naucse.UUCP>, rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:
> What files do you have to edit to get
> cron going instead of the window manager, phone manager, and bla bla bla.

Here is what I have done to my /etc/rc file.  I keep a copy of the
original for just incase AT&T sends me a update :->

--------------Cut here----------
if [ -z "$1" ]
then
	cd /etc/lddrv
	./mkifile /unix unix.syma
	cmp -s unix.sym unix.syma
	if [ $? != 0 ]
	then
		mv unix.syma unix.sym
		rm -f wind
	fi
	sync
	> /etc/drvtab
	sync
	if [ ! "`grep wdinit unix.sym`" ]
	then
		./lddrv -av wind > /tmp/.winload 2>/tmp/.winload  || (
 			echo Window driver did not load because: > /dev/console
			cat /tmp/.winload > /dev/console
 			exec /bin/sh < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 )
	fi
 	exec /bin/sh /etc/rc WINDOWED < /dev/window > /dev/w1 2>&1
fi

trap "" 2
rm -f /etc/.extra

/etc/.fontload

echo "The 3B1 is coming up.  Please wait..."
mpid=$!

TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`;export TZ
date
date -
DATE=`date '+%a %h %d, 19%y  %r' `
echo $DATE
echo TZ=$TZ
PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc
TERM=s4

export PATH TERM

stty sane

# PERFORM THE FILE SYSTEM CHECKS WITH AUTO-REBOOT IF SYSTEM WAS REPAIRED
echo "Performing fsck..."
if [ ! -f /etc/LCK.fsck ]
then
	echo "Running first-time automatic fsck -p."
	touch /etc/LCK.fsck
	/etc/fsck -p
	echo "Automatic fsck -p finished."
fi

rm -f /etc/LCK.fsck

#look for lockfile to force a fsck, in case lots of things are wrong.
#Pray this never happens.

if [ -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE ]
then
	echo "Forced fsck being attempted.  THIS IS INTERACTIVE."
 	rm -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE
	/etc/fsck
fi

#Keep old drive logs around if you are sentimental
cat /usr/adm/drv.log >> /etc/old.drv.log
rm -f /usr/adm/drv.log

if [ -x /etc/.drvload ]
then
	echo "Loading drivers..."
	kill $mpid > /dev/null 2>&1
	mpid=$!
	/etc/.drvload
fi

if [ -s /etc/.version ]
then
	setuname -v `cat /etc/.version`
fi
# was fi[ originally. Why?

#Another mysterious AT&T original /etc/rc whatever:

cat >  /etc/.extra <<END
xxx
END

# Kill off last forked off window

kill $mpid

if [ ! -r /etc/.installdate ]
then
	/etc/.firstrc
fi

TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`

# IF USER CHANGED THE TIME ZONE AND REBOOTED THE SYSTEM THEN .INSTALLDATE
# WILL BE EMPTY AT THIS POINT. WE MUST CALL .FIRSTRC ONE MORE TIME TO
# COMPLETE THE SCRIPT

if [ ! -s /etc/.installdate ]
then
	/etc/.firstrc
fi

echo "Setting up screen..."
kill $mpid
mpid=$!

# THERE ARE SEVERAL FILES WHICH START VARIOUS DAEMONS AND PERFORM
#  ASSORTED TASKS.  IF THEY ARE PRESENT AND EXECUTABLE, RUN THEM!
echo "Starting Daemons..."
# /etc/namesys executes either setuname or slaninit depending on whether
# STARLAN is installed

for i in .cleanup .cronstart .lpstartsched .syncstart namesys .phinit .modeminit ph

do
	echo "Starting $i"
	/etc/$i
done

# The phone manager should be started.  You can then kill it... but some things
# need to be initialized by it.

	/etc/cron &

# any additional daemons (such as slan initialization)
# can be put in /etc/daemons, and will be executed without
# changing /etc/rc.  Each should be run in the background.

if [ -d /etc/daemons ]
then
	DAEMONS=`ls /etc/daemons/*`
	if [ $? != 0 ] ; then DAEMONS=""; fi
	for i in $DAEMONS
	do
	echo $i
		if [ -x $i ]
		then	nohup $i > /dev/null 2>&1 &
		fi
	done
fi

# If a screen time out has been selected, then set it.

if [ -s /etc/.blanktime ]
then
	scrset `cat /etc/.blanktime`
fi
# Clean up pnet files
# If you aren't running P-net, you won't need these lines...

rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/LCK.* /usr/lib/pnet/pnet.who
rm -f /usr/lib/pnet/talk/talk?.who /usr/lib/pnet/talk/talk.*
rm -f /usr/spool/uucp/STST*

# Kill last window
kill $mpid

---------------cut here------------------

I hope this was of some educational value.

> Do you have some shell scripts to do backup (yes I still use the ua for
> that (sigh).)

You can use the original scripts for the most part.

> When the phone manager is dead is there any trouble
> with outgoing calls (or does it work better 8*)

If you never start the phone manager, you will most likely default to
pulse dialing mode.   This is the only problem I know of.  However, I
think someone posted a new version of the .phinit script:

/etc/phupd ph1 DATA YES NO NO

Which tells the system that you are using DATA line 2 and touch tone.

--

aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) (07/28/88)

In article <933@hodge.UUCP>, rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

> Here is what I have done to my /etc/rc file.  I keep a copy of the
> original for just incase AT&T sends me a update :->
>
> --------------Cut here----------
> if [ -z "$1" ]
> then
>       cd /etc/lddrv
>       ./mkifile /unix unix.syma
>       cmp -s unix.sym unix.syma
>       if [ $? != 0 ]
>       then
>               mv unix.syma unix.sym
>               rm -f wind
>       fi

and so on and so forth..

Well, his rc looked better than the one I had running, so I replaced the old
with his (actually I still have the old as rc.old, but it doesn't matter
because):

	My system won't boot now.

Will someone please tell me what I can do so that it will boot? (I bought my
machine used and w/o proper documentation... speaking of which, if anyone can
tell me where I can find 3b1 docs, I'd appreciate that much! [AT&T, after
referring me through about ten different offices, told me that they don't
have it any more.]).

Thanks much, and hoping for a quick reply!

> I hope this was of some educational value.

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to trust software off the net.

-UUNET:uflorida!novavax!proxftl!aaron
--
Aaron           | Proximity Tech. |----------------------------------------|
   Charles      | 3511 NE 22 Ave. | Speaking only for myself, o' course... |

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (07/31/88)

In article <546@proxftl.UUCP>, aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
> In article <933@hodge.UUCP>, rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
> >
> > Here is what I have done to my /etc/rc file.  I keep a copy of the
> > original for just incase AT&T sends me a update :->
My /etc/rc file goes here

> Well, his rc looked better than the one I had running, so I replaced the old
> with his (actually I still have the old as rc.old, but it doesn't matter
> because):
>
> 	My system won't boot now.
>
> Will someone please tell me what I can do so that it will boot? (I bought my

Try booting from the floppy....

> > I hope this was of some educational value.
>
> Yeah, I learned the hard way not to trust software off the net.
WELL, EXCUSE MEEEEE! - Steve Martin

The only thing that I can imaging happening is that I edited out some stupid
comments.  Maybe I induced a typo.  Here is my ORIGINAL, unedited, with very
silly comments in a few places and some my-system specific things that you
can figure out what to remove:

if [ -z "$1" ]
then
	cd /etc/lddrv
	./mkifile /unix unix.syma
	cmp -s unix.sym unix.syma
	if [ $? != 0 ]
	then
		mv unix.syma unix.sym
		rm -f wind
	fi
	sync
	> /etc/drvtab
	sync
	if [ ! "`grep wdinit unix.sym`" ]
	then
		./lddrv -av wind > /tmp/.winload 2>/tmp/.winload  || (
 			echo Window driver did not load because: > /dev/console
			cat /tmp/.winload > /dev/console
 			exec /bin/sh < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 )
	fi
 	exec /bin/sh /etc/rc WINDOWED < /dev/window > /dev/w1 2>&1
fi

trap "" 2
rm -f /etc/.extra

/etc/.fontload

echo "The 3B1 is coming up.  Please wait..."
mpid=$!

TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`;export TZ
date
date -
DATE=`date '+%a %h %d, 19%y  %r' `
echo $DATE
echo TZ=$TZ
PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc
TERM=s4

export PATH TERM

stty sane

# PERFORM THE FILE SYSTEM CHECKS WITH AUTO-REBOOT IF SYSTEM WAS REPAIRED
echo "Performing fsck..."
if [ ! -f /etc/LCK.fsck ]
then
	echo "Running first-time automatic fsck -p."
	touch /etc/LCK.fsck
	/etc/fsck -p
	echo "Automatic fsck -p finished."
fi

rm -f /etc/LCK.fsck

if [ -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE ]
then
	echo "Forced fsck being attempted.  THIS IS INTERACTIVE."
	echo "PAY ATTENTION STUPID.  THIS IS SERIOUS.  YOU COULD DIE."
 	rm -f /etc/FSCK-FORCE
	/etc/fsck
	echo "Forced fsck finished.  You can go back to sleep now."
fi

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (07/31/88)

In article <216@elgar.UUCP> ford@elgar.UUCP (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>errdemon wasn't.  I wrote a simple version, available for the asking.

Please post!

The smgr's roll as errdemon was the !! icon stuff?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2