[unix-pc.general] kill the arrow?

dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) (07/25/88)

Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?

Thanks.

...att!chinet!penl0p!dsueme                       David M. Sueme

                                                  Attorney at Law
                                                  911 Washington, 2N
                                                  Evanston, IL  60202
                                                  (312) 869-1824 (voice)

Philosophers are violent and aggressive persons who, having no army at their
disposal, bring the world into subjection to themselves by means of locking
it up in a system. (Robert Musil)

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/28/88)

In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us> dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?

I don't know how to kill it, and short of omitting the mouse driver from the
drivers loaded at boot time -- frankly not a good idea, it seems to me -- I'm
not sure if it's possible.  But why bother doing such surgery??  If you move
the mouse so that the arrow is as far as it gets to the bottom right of the
screen the arrow will only occupy 1 pixel or so.  I don't think you'll be too
distracted by that one pixel.

Before I started using more than one shell window without ua I never used the
mouse, and also found the arrow distracting; when I started parking it in the
corner of the screen I never noticed it.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/28/88)

In article <1202@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us>, dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>> Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>

>Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.

ah, but that don't work so hot ..

there's some way where it will come back to haunt you ... I don't know how
because I leave the mouse plugged in for some reason.  But one of the people
who used to be in my office kept his mouse unplugged and the pointer would
come back from time to time
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (07/28/88)

In article <1202@flatline>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
> In article <6092@chinet>, sueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
> > Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>
> Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.

However, scrset turns in back on!
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (07/29/88)

In article <1202@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us>, dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>> Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>

>Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.

Not so simple.  After a short while, the arrow returns.

Attached below is a simple little routine written by Mark Colburn
(mark@jhereg.mn.org ... credit is given... :-) which will toast the
arrow.

To make the arrow go away, move it into the main window and run mouse.
If you leave the mouse in it's default start position and run mouse,
the arrow won't go away until you move it into the window.  This is
all I needed it to do, so that's as far as it went.  At least it's a
start if anyone wants to add to it, and if they do, please send it
along.

We thank you for your support.  :-)

----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----

/* mouse.c */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/window.h>
#include <sys/font.h>
#include <sys/wd.h>
#include <track.h>

int
main(argc, argv)
    int			argc;
    char               *argv[];
{
    struct umdata	mouseinfo;
    int			turnon;
    void		usage();
    struct icon		myicon;

    if (argc != 2)
	usage();
    if (argv[1][0] == '1')
	turnon = 1;
    else if (argv[1][0] == '0')
	turnon = 0;
    else usage();

    ioctl(0, WIOCGETMOUSE, &mouseinfo);

    if (turnon == 1)
	mouseinfo.um_icon = (struct icon *)NULL;
    else
	mouseinfo.um_icon = &myicon;

    ioctl(0, WIOCSETMOUSE, &mouseinfo);
}

void
usage()
{
    fprintf(stderr, "mouse: [ 0 | 1 ]\n");
    exit(1);
}

----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (07/31/88)

In article <692@sialis.mn.org>, rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
> In article <1202@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
> >In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us>, dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
> >> Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
> >
> >Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.
>
> Not so simple.  After a short while, the arrow returns.

What version are you running?  I've got 3.0, the arrow never returns...

Well, unless you plug it back in... :-)

--
Motorola Skates on Intel's Head!
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (08/01/88)

>> Not so simple.  After a short while, the arrow returns.
>
>What version are you running?  I've got 3.0, the arrow never returns...

3.5 or greater is all I've had the willingness to run.  :-)  Currently
it's 3.51a.  The arrow always returns after a time...

--

aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) (08/01/88)

>>> Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>> Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.
> Not so simple.  After a short while, the arrow returns.
>
> Attached below is a simple little routine written by Mark Colburn
> which will toast the arrow.

I don't really need to "toast" my arrow, but I would like to change its
image (to something smaller). Surely the mask for the arrow is stored some-
place easily accessable? Surely somebody knows how I can change it?
Much appreciated.

--

Aaron   \  Proximity Technology  | #include <disclaimer.h> | +---------------+
Charles  \   3511 N-E 22nd Ave.  |                         | | find the fish |

feb@cbnews.ATT.COM (Franco E. Barber) (08/01/88)

In article <298@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us> dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>>Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?

>			   But why bother doing such surgery??  If you move
>the mouse so that the arrow is as far as it gets to the bottom right of the
>screen the arrow will only occupy 1 pixel or so.  I don't think you'll be too
>distracted by that one pixel.
>--
> Jim Rosenberg
>     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \
>     WELL: jer                                   allegra! ---- pitt!amanue!jr
>     BIX: jrosenberg                  uunet!cmcl2!cadre! /

In my case, I don't even have the mouse plugged in.
When I boot the machine up, the arrow is gone.
However, when I use scrset to blank the screen, the arrow pops up
when the screen unblanks.

The arrow returns in the upper left corner of the screen.
Since my mouse is unplugged, I can't move it.
I want to remove it completely.

Franco Barber		AT&T Bell Labs		Columbus, Ohio
..!att!cblpe!feb

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Ditto) (08/02/88)

In article <747@cbnews.ATT.COM> feb@cbnews.ATT.COM (Franco E. Barber) writes:
>>In article <6092@chinet.chi.il.us> dsueme@chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>>>Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>
>In my case, I don't even have the mouse plugged in.
>When I boot the machine up, the arrow is gone.
>However, when I use scrset to blank the screen, the arrow pops up
>when the screen unblanks.

AH HA!!! THAT'S IT!!!  I've been trying to figure out exactly what the
catalyst was that made the arrow re-appear; the screen-blank makes perfect
sense... that's why the v3.0 people never saw it, and that's why it always
seemed to be after a random interval, but never immediately after reboot,
and never when I was looking!  Ok, pardon my amazement, but I was really
starting to get curious.

>The arrow returns in the upper left corner of the screen.
>Since my mouse is unplugged, I can't move it.
>I want to remove it completely.

My solution was to add a new feature to the keyboard driver... Mouse
Control!  I can move the mouse pointer and simulate all the buttons
right from the keyboard, without having the mouse plugged in!  Other
than playing with it a bit, the only thing I ever use it for is to
put the arrow where I only see one pixel of it and leave it there.
Of course, that's all I ever did with the mouse, anyway.

I think my next hack will be to have it boot up with the pointer
down there in the first place.

--
					-=] Ford [=-

	.		.		(In Real Life: Mike Ditto)
.	    :	       ,		ford@kenobi.cts.com
This space under construction,		...!ucsd!elgar!ford
pardon our dust.			ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

steveb@shade.UUCP (Steve Barber) (08/08/88)

In article <556@proxftl.UUCP> aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
> I don't really need to "toast" my arrow, but I would like to change its
> image (to something smaller). Surely the mask for the arrow is stored some-
> place easily accessable? Surely somebody knows how I can change it?
> Much appreciated.

On a similar note, I'm sort of tired of the exclusive-or nature of the
arrow (not that I use it that much anymore).  At what level is this
implemented?  If it's in a driver, has anyone made the arrow work "right"?
(i.e. saving/restoring the background, with an arrow icon and a background
mask)

> --
>
> Aaron   \  Proximity Technology  | #include <disclaimer.h> | +---------------+
> Charles  \   3511 N-E 22nd Ave.  |                         | | find the fish |
> Zimmerman \    Fort Ladeda, Fla  |  cat flames >/dev/null  | +---------------+

--
Steve Barber   ...!umix!shade!steveb   "Did I say that?"