[net.dcom] Problems with USR 2400 courier?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (03/20/86)

In article <193@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:

>I have isolated it down to one chip by opening a couple of
>modems and swapping several of the chips around.  The chip in
>question is labelled "U100".  Defective versions are also labelled
>"8440", while working versions are labelled "8438".

	I just opened one of our defective Couriers and found the U100
labeled 8438, so it looks like radzy@calma knows what he's talking about.
What he doesn't mention, however, is how to open the frigging modem to see
inside.

	After much frustration, and almost driving a screwdriver through my
hand trying to pry the cover off, I finally discovered that the two screws
which hold it together have their heads hidden by the rubber feet on the
bottom in the rear.  Just tear them off (they are glued on) to get at the
screws.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016