[unix-pc.general] Further evidence of Convergent's hand in the UNIX PC

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (08/24/88)

While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:

$ sdb a.out
No core image
CTIX-V 3.0 sdb

I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \

dwex@mtgzz.att.com (d.e.wexelblat) (08/24/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
> I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?
>
> -Lenny

At school last year, Convergent gave us 2 dozen MiniFrames.  Since people
were actually going to try to use them for serious work (silly people),
there was a movement afoot to get Gnu Emacs running on them.  The MiniFrames
came with a silly no-flexnames compiler.  No one felt like dealing with the
SHORTNAMES stuff, so we tried taking Gnu 18.49 from my ATT 3B1 at home
an running it on the MiniFrame.  It ran with no problems, subshells and all.
Seeing as Gnu is an immense program with lots of annoying incompatibilities
between machines (just look at all the m- and s- files), we were amazed that
it ran.

--David Wexelblat
dwex@mtgzz.att.com
...!att!mtgzz!dwex

bms@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Bruce Schlobohm) (08/25/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

Yes, an arbitrary UNIX-PC program will run on the Miniframe, and vice-versa,
with the exception of shared library programs, and hardware-specific
programs (bitmapped screen calls, onboard modem, etc).
As a matter of fact, Miniframes were used as the original build machines
to generate the first few releases (CT to AT&T) for the UNIX-PC.  We had
to modify the Miniframe's floppy driver to handle the 48TPI format, but the
Miniframe has the capacity for 2 disk drives, which for source builds was
important.
As I recall, to get the Safari project off to a fast start, CT used the
VM model, and the same sgs [although there were some changes in the sgs during
the project] of the Miniframe.  Thus the similarity in a.out formats.

--
Bruce Schlobohm
bms@Convergent.COM -or- {pyramid,sri-unix,pacbell}!ctnews!bms

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (08/25/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
>
>$ sdb a.out
>No core image
>CTIX-V 3.0 sdb
>
>I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

Yes, I believe they will.  CT used the miniframe for much of their
software development.  (AT&T may have also used miniframes for their
development as well.)
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2e-108 / 185 monmouth pkwy / west long branch, nj 07764-1394

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (08/25/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
>
>$ sdb a.out
>No core image
>CTIX-V 3.0 sdb
>
>I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?
>
>-Lenny

yes, as long as they are NOT linked with the shared library, which the
miniframe does not support.  I use mine for the tapedrive...

-dB
"Ready when you are Raoul!"
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.com <- FINALLY!

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (08/26/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

Yes, so long as they don't use the shared libraries.  The Miniframe's
OS is just slightly older than the Unix PC's.  It doesn't have shared
libraries or loadable device drivers.  Miniframe binaries run fine on
Unix PCs, too.

	---Bob.

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

dumais@attcan.UUCP (Paul Dumais) (08/26/88)

In article <470@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
> $ sdb a.out
> No core image
> CTIX-V 3.0 sdb

When I started working with the UNIX PC I spent some time looking at
the file hierarchy to correct security problems.  In my wanderings I
found a binary called "/usr/bin/.!.". Simply type .!. when logged in
on the console and watch the fun.  I  have  been told that the names
listed are both AT&T and Convergent employees who worked on the dev-
elopement of the UNIX(tm) PC.

  I should point out that I am running 3.51. I assume early versions
of the OS have the same file.

Paul E. Dumais                          AT&T Canada Inc., Toronto
Client Instructor - Data Systems        3650 Victoria Park Avenue
{utzoo,uunet}!attcan!dumais             (416) 756-5190
DISCLAIMER: Ask my boss, she'll tell ya. I don't know what I'm talkin about!
--

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (08/30/88)

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
> In article <470@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> >While poking around in 'sdb' I happened to type "V" and I got this:
> >
> >$ sdb a.out
> >CTIX-V 3.0 sdb
> >
> >I wonder if the UNIX PC programs will run under a Convergent Miniframe?

Some object code running on a CT Megaframe, also runs on a 3B1,
like trek...
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave

bms@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Bruce Schlobohm) (08/31/88)

In article <156@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
> Some object code running on a CT Megaframe, also runs on a 3B1,
> like trek...

I failed mention in my earlier posting that the entire S/MT family,
(known as MightyFrames or by their S/XXX numbers) will also run 3b1/UNIXPC
and miniframe object code, with the previously mentioned exceptions.