[unix-pc.general] looking for automatic e-mail acknowledgement program

brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) (09/16/88)

Does anyone have an automatic mail acknowledgement program that works
on a UNIXpc?  I know these things exist; I've received messages from
them.  The idea is that when you go away on vacation (f'rinstance),
you activate something which will then automatically reply to mail
messages as they are received, telling the sender that their message
was received, etc.  I can imagine doing this with a shell script or C
program, but I thought I'd interrogate the net before hacking such a
thing together myself.

If you've got such a thing and are at liberty to distribute it, why
not post it to unix-pc.sources?  Thanks to all,
								Brant

P.S. To correct a piece of misinformation I just saw: to perform
anonymous Internet FTP, you ftp <site> then login as "anonymous".  The
password is usually any non-null string, or sometimes "guest".  Don't
forget to use binary mode when transferring executable files. -b
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (09/17/88)

In article <428@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>Does anyone have an automatic mail acknowledgement program that works
>on a UNIXpc?  I know these things exist; I've received messages from
>them. (...) I can imagine doing this with a shell script or C
>program, but I thought I'd interrogate the net before hacking such a
>thing together myself.

Just a little note here...several years ago, a couple of these made the net
rounds.  Unfortunately, somebody goosed a message off to his colleague
who was on vacation, and before the auto-reply returned activated his own
vacation mailer.  Which proceeded to bounce an auto-reply to the other
vacation mailer, which...well, you get the idea.  There have been several
posted since then, but make sure that whatever one you may find (mail me if
none appear in a few days, and I'll search the archives) keeps a list of
auto-recipients and refuses to answer more than once...

	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corp.
	ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us