[unix-pc.general] TeX

vic@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Victor Duchovni) (09/02/88)

    Is there a TeX-dvi previewer for the unix-pc?
    I have managed to compile C-TeX on the PC7300, but
without a Laser Printer or previewer it is not terribly useful.

   Please reply to me directly, as this is unlikely to be of wide
interest.

---Victor Duchovni <vic@fine.princeton.edu>
		   <princeton!goryni!victor>

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (09/24/88)

Hmmmm. I'm not even sure what newsgroup this should go in.

I got the TeX/LaTeX/etc stuff for the unix-pc, as offered some time
ago in this group.  It is neat stuff, has lots of fonts and so on.

However, I find I had the wrong impression of what it was and how
I would be able to use it.  Do I have to write a printer driver to
do dot matrix stuff?  How is this to be sent to hard copy?

HOW DO I WRITE TEX SOURCE?

There are almost no docs in the distribution, so what I'm really
asking is where should I look for more.

I have here on-site several macintosh-en and unix-pcs, a LaserWriter
Plus, and and ATT471 printer.  These are all capable of some fancy
graphics things, if I can ever get them talking together.

Help?

---
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman , csun!srhqla!kosman!kevin ) voice: 805-984-8042
  Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (09/25/88)

In article <474@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>Hmmmm. I'm not even sure what newsgroup this should go in.
>
>I got the TeX/LaTeX/etc stuff for the unix-pc, as offered some time
>ago in this group.  It is neat stuff, has lots of fonts and so on.
>
>However, I find I had the wrong impression of what it was and how
>I would be able to use it.  Do I have to write a printer driver to
>do dot matrix stuff?  How is this to be sent to hard copy?

	TeX is a language for Electronic typesetting. the program TeX
Takes TeX language source and converts it to a DeVice IndependFile (*.dvi).
This DVI file can then be displayed via the texview program that was included
with your sources. (texview displays .dvi files on a unixpc). if you want
to print dvi files, you need an appropriate driver, in your case dvialw, for
Apple Laser Writer. do a "make dvialw" in the dvi sources directory for this.

	TeX is very powerful, and is usually more then what is called for.
There is a macro package caleed LaTeX that is easier to learn and use. The
two versions are implemented with two programs, tex and latex, the latter
being the former plus a preloaded macro package.

>HOW DO I WRITE TEX SOURCE?
>
>There are almost no docs in the distribution, so what I'm really
>asking is where should I look for more.

What you want is the TexBook, available from addison-wesley. If you want to
start with LaTeX, get the LaTeX book by Leslie Lamport under the same
publisher. Other books of interest include the MetaFont book, which describes
the MetaFont program, which is where TeX gets its font files, and "Electronic
Typeface & Typesetting" volumes A-F, by Donald Knuth, who designed the whole
mess.

>Plus, and and ATT471 printer.  These are all capable of some fancy
>graphics things, if I can ever get them talking together.
>
>Help?

	You want to install
	tex	- the TeX program
	latex	- the tex program with the latex fonts preinstalled
	texview	- a DVI file display program for the unixpc
	dvialw	- a DVI->Apple Laser Writer program

NOTE: When building dvialw from the dvi sources, DO NOT DEFINE UNIXPC! the
-DUNIXPC definition is to convert the sunview program to unixpcview (texview),
and should not be used for the other drivers.

BTW: TeX is a really neat program, and very powerful, but be prepared to do
some serious learning if you plan to get good at it. The syntax is terse, the
error messages are obscure, and the macro nature of the language is bizarre.

	I love it. :-) :-) :-)
--
					:alex.
					Systems Programmer

thad@cup.portal.com (09/26/88)

In re: TeX documentation, ``THE'' documentation consists of a 5-volume
set from Addison-Wesley accompanied by some supplementary books also
from A-W.

Specifically:

[A] The TeXbook

[B] TeX: The Program  (source code, etc.)

[C] The METAFONTbook

[D] METAFONT: The Program (source, etc.)

[E] Computer Modern Typefaces

Supplemental:

LaTeX -- A Document Preparation System

Don Knuth (of Stanford U.) is the author of the [A]-[E], and Leslie Lamport
is the author of the LaTeX book.

You probably only need [A] and the LaTeX book.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (09/26/88)

In article <474@kosman.UUCP>, kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
> Hmmmm. I'm not even sure what newsgroup this should go in.
>
> I got the TeX/LaTeX/etc stuff for the unix-pc, as offered some time
> ago in this group.  It is neat stuff, has lots of fonts and so on.
>
> However, I find I had the wrong impression of what it was and how
> I would be able to use it.  Do I have to write a printer driver to
> do dot matrix stuff?  How is this to be sent to hard copy?
>
> HOW DO I WRITE TEX SOURCE?

Oh lord... This is like asking "What is UNIX?"

TeX is a typesetting System written by Dr. Knuth of Stanford U.
I suggest you get "The TeXbook by Knuth---Addison Wesley", and
"LaTeX", by "Leslie Lamport".  Both good books.  And an excellent
system.  Kinda large to be running on our tiny 3B1 unless that's
what it's dedicated for.

TeX has a kinda cult following.  You may want to join TUG.
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave