[unix-pc.general] The STORE!

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (03/12/88)

It has been quite a while since I've contacted THE STORE!.  I'd
like to see what is new there since the last time, but I'm reluctant
to have a new catalog transferred over.  It might be nice if
someone who contacts THE STORE! regularly could post to this
group whenever something new comes in (ideally, this someone
would be the storekeeper, but...) so that some of us poor folks
can keep abreast of changes without running up huge phone bills.
Identifying the access level of new entries would also be nice
for those of us who cannot get the ATT-level stuff (sigh).

Anyone interested?

For that matter, when was the last catalog change?  Is THE STORE!
still active now that the 3b1 isn't?

Thanks for any help!
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

djl@dplace.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (03/18/88)

In article <607@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>It has been quite a while since I've contacted THE STORE!.
>For that matter, when was the last catalog change?  Is THE STORE!
>still active now that the 3b1 isn't?

The last time I checked, February 25th, the catalog level was 1.17,
dated 9/1/87. My guess is that THE STORE! is dead. Too bad, it
was a great idea. By the way, you don't have to pull the whole
catalog, there is an option in the menu to just request the catalog
version.

Dave Lampe
{ihnp4 | ames | lll-tis}!ptsfa!pacbell!dplace!djl
(415) 455-1571

k2ph@dxis.UUCP (The QRPer) (03/19/88)

I was talking to Susan Woodbury (The Storekeeper) last week.
While she still has responsibility for maintaining (and
updating) THE STORE!, her other work responsibilities have
turned it into a weekend job.  However, there have been a
few utilities submitted and, eventually, there will be a new
catalog.  For right now, however, 9/1/87 is the latest catalog.

--
Bob Schreibmaier K2PH               =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Middletown, N.J.                    | DX is!  Be a Believer! |

rhc@nsscb.UUCP (Rick Calder) (08/03/88)

	Sorry, but it seems that THE STORE! tele number isn't answering.  The
last time that I tried it, ~ 1 month ago, it was still working.
	It might just be a telco problem, or it might be gone for good.

			Agggggggghhhhhhhhhh ! ! ! !

		Rick Calder, AT&T National Systems Support Center
		    {att,ActionCentralUNIXRegistry}!rick!rick
				attmail!rcalder

darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) (09/25/88)

It's been about a year now since the STORE! catalog was updated and
there have been many good programs posted to unix-pc.sources.  While
it looks like AT&T has dropped the STORE!, there are a lot of people
who would like to see such a service continued.  Is it possible to run
the STORE! software off a UNIXpc?  If so, I'd be more than willing to
run it.  I wouldn't be able to set up a line like that for a few
months, but it's something I thought we should start thinking about
before the STORE! is gone forever.

Any feedback?

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (09/29/88)

In article <698@bacchus.UUCP> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
> ...   Is it possible to run
>the STORE! software off a UNIXpc?  If so, I'd be more than willing to
>run it.

The STORE is a neat concept but I can see where it would be a pain in the butt
to maintain.  When I bought my machine about a dozen others bought them too.
Most of them are UNIX neophites so I try to support them by testing out all
the software that comes across the net and then passing it along.  The format
they prefer for me to use is the "install" format used by the STORE.  Setting
up the installable files, building the remove scripts, making sure all the
files get set to the right permissions, etc., takes a lot of time.  I have
not been overly impressed by some of the program that I have downloaded from
the store but I have to say that the packaging was top notch.

Now that I have moaned and groaned about how hard it is to set up install files,
let me say that I would like to see the STORE, or another system running the
same software, be continued.  Actually, the only thing that the STORE system
needs to have in terms of software is uucp.  The programs that run on our
machines know what file name to fetch when you order any given package.  All
you need to do is convince the program that does the ordering to send the uucp
request to a machine other than "shop".

If the software that generates the catalog and the software for the PC side
can be obtained from ATT, what would be really good is if we could get a
dozen or so machines scattered around the country to act as alternate STORE
machines.  I am willing to have my machine act as a STORE host with the
caveat that I usually only have about 5 meg of disk space free so I'm not
sure if I could hold the entire catalog on line.  Maybe we could take up a
collection and buy bigger disk drives for anyone that is willing to act as
a STORE host. :-)
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave