[unix-pc.general] Where does keyfix come from?

randy@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Randy Orrison) (10/16/88)

I would like to know where I can get the keyfix program from?
Actually, that's not quite true - I can get it off my friend's
machine, but what I want is the documentation (and source would be
nice).  If anyone has the whole package and would be willing to mail
it to me, send me mail offering it (don't mail it - I only need one
copy!)

Oh, on the same subject -  Ford: in the source for nkbd you mention a
future version which will be completely configurable.  How's this
project coming?   (I LOVE nkbd - thanks!!!)  (would you like a
suggestion?  Could the CAPS-LOCK key (labelled Ctrl - silly AT&T)
toggle the LED in the Ctrl key (labelled Caps Lock - more silliness on
the part of AT&T)?  It's nice to have some indication...)

	Thanks!
		-randy
--
Randy Orrison, Chemical Computer Thinking Battery  --  randy@cctb.mn.org
(aka randy@{ux.acss.umn.edu, umn-cs.uucp, umnacca.bitnet, halcdc.uucp})

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (10/18/88)

In article <9598@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> randy@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison) writes:
>I would like to know where I can get the keyfix program from?

I wrote it, and I'll send the source & doc to anyone who asks.

>Oh, on the same subject -  Ford: in the source for nkbd you mention a
>future version which will be completely configurable.  How's this
>project coming?

Slowly.  The original version was, of course, encouraged by the bogosity
of the standard driver; now that it's usable, some of the incentive to
improve it is gone.  However, since I have to write a configurable
keyboard driver for another Unix system anyway, I will probably use some
of the same techniques in the next versoin of nkbd (nnkbd?).  Who knows,
it might even read Amiga keymap files!

>  (would you like a
>suggestion?  Could the CAPS-LOCK key (labelled Ctrl - silly AT&T)
>toggle the LED in the Ctrl key (labelled Caps Lock - more silliness on
>the part of AT&T)?  It's nice to have some indication...)

Aha!  Another case of the missing CAPSLOCK LED ... hmm.  I'm really stuck
on that one; it always worked fine on kenobi, and the LED code is IDENTICAL
to the AT&T CAPCTRL driver's.  Someone (can't remember who) said he got his
to work by putting the output calls in a loop:

	change
		ldkout(ldcaplock+CAPLED);
		while (!ldkout(ldcaplock+CAPLED))
		    ;

Try it and see if it helps, but I don't recommend putting in that
change unless it's really necessary... it halts the system until the
kbd sio is ready, and I don't personally guarantee that will happen,
although at least one person had it work fine for him.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com