[net.dcom] TCP/IP for the IBM PC

dunn@ur-tut.UUCP (Carl Dunn) (04/07/86)

This has probably been asked before, but I must have missed any earlier

I'm looking for any implementations of TCP/IP for the IBM PC. I have heard
that Carnegie-Mellon and Stanford are working on MIT's version.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Please respond by mail.

Thanks in advance,

Carl Dunn, University of Rochester
...{seismo | allegra | decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!dunn

sob@talcott.UUCP (Scott O Bradner) (04/08/86)

we are beta testing a copy of ftp software inc.'s version of the mit
package. even in the beta version this package is quite good, it implements
a nice set of the unix tcp/ip functions ( including real ftp, accessing
time servers etc ).

	scott bradner
	harvard university

take a disclaimer - any disclaimer

philipp@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Philip Prindeville) (04/09/86)

In article <164@ur-tut.UUCP>, dunn@ur-tut.UUCP(Carl Dunn) writes:
> I'm looking for any implementations of TCP/IP for the IBM PC. I have heard
> that Carnegie-Mellon and Stanford are working on MIT's version.

Well, you could try MIT...

What do you mean _working on MIT's version_?  What's wrong with it?
Is it _broken_?

It was written by one of the people I work, I use it daily, and
have had no significant problems with it.

It is well written, extremely favourably priced, available in source
form for not much more than the cost of the binaries (still under $100),
and there are no royalties involved.

Also, we are about to release a new version with some bug fixes and
domain name service support.

Also, the name of it is _PC/IP_.

				-Philip

P.S.	MIT's not out to make a buck, so this can't be a product plug :=).

philipp@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Philip Prindeville) (04/11/86)

I've gotten a few requests for details regarding my previous posting
about PC/IP, so here it is:

	PC/IP is available on mag tape in source form for $55.
	Binaries are available on floppy for $12.  Or you can
	get both for the special price of $67.

	The address to order from is:

		MicroComputer Center,
		  Software Sales and Application
		11-229, M.I.T.
		Cambridge, MA  02139

		(617) 253-6325

Serious questions can be sent via E-mail to:

		pc-ip-request@xx.mit.edu
	(or)	pc-ip-request@mit-xx.arpa
	(or)	mit-eddie!mit-xx!pc-ip-request

A new version is currently being put together with many bug fixes, domain
name service, and the following programs:

	telnet
	nicname		(like finger but at SRI-NIC)
	whois		(like finger)
	netwatch	(like 4.2 netstats but real-time)
	tftp		(simplified file transfer program)

It comes with drivers for the following hardware:

	3Com (ethernet), Interlan (ethernet), Proteon (Ring net)

It should be available sometime next week.

The software is also available with added utilities including:

	rsh, rcp, rlogin (as in 4.2)
	ftp

and a mess of other stuff from:

		FTP Software, Inc.
		P.O. Box 150
		Kendall Sq. Brnch.
		Boston, MA  02142

for $400.  See Scott Bradner's posting <585@talcott.UUCP>.

Again, the above E-mail address(es) can be used.

Enjoy.
				-Philip

----
Philip Prindeville
M.I.T. Project Athena				     PhilipP@Athena.MIT.EDU
(617) 253-5264		{ucbvax,decvax,seismo}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!philipp

Disclaimer: All I know is what they tell me, but I'm not sure I was listening.