[unix-pc.general] GCC bootstrapping woes

roger@banzai.UUCP (Roger Florkowski) (10/31/88)

In article <495@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>What a gnuisance!!  I am trying to bootstrap GCC onto a 3b1, [omited...]
>
>I got gcpp from unix-pc.sources, posted a while ago.  It has been my
>standard cpp ever since, [omitted...]
>I tried to make.  This ran into problems in obstack.h, where there are
>a bunch of function prototypes, enabled by __STDC__.  I tried to undef
>__STDC__ and now it's reporting an error I've never seen before,
>
>*undef*:1: undefining __STDC__

If you are using gnu-cpp, (which is the only way to compile gcc), AND you are
the stock ccom, you must pass -traditional to the gnu-cpp.  This will
undefine __STDC__ for you (it is the ONLY way to undefine __STDC__ in the
cpp) and allow the stock ccom to handle the gnu code.

In the make file, put this into CFLAGS:
CFLAGS=-Wp,-traditional [+ stuff that is already there]

Good luck.  If that still fails, just grab gcc-1.30 from unix-pc.sources
--
Roger Florkowski				uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!roger
The People's Computer Company			`Revolutionary Programming'

root1@booth.UUCP (Root) (11/03/88)

In article <1010@banzai.UUCP> roger@banzai.UUCP (Roger Florkowski) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>In the make file, put this into CFLAGS:
>CFLAGS=-Wp,-traditional [+ stuff that is already there]
>
>Good luck.  If that still fails, just grab gcc-1.30 from unix-pc.sources

I would like to but we received only the last 15 parts of this.  Part 1 never
got here...

Anyone else have the same problem?

>--
>Roger Florkowski				uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!roger
>The People's Computer Company			`Revolutionary Programming'

						- Roger