[unix-pc.general] Drive in 3B1?

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (11/09/88)

I have a (he thinks) fairly simple question about replacing
the drive in a 3B1.  I see that Miniscribe has a drive, the
model 6128, that is ST506/412, 110.1MB(formatted), with 1024
cylinders and 8 heads.  Can I drop one of these straight into
my 3B1 (which currently has a 40MB drive)?  If so, where are
some good places to get the above drive at a discount?  Are
their any competitor drives with similar/better features?

Another thing I'm considering is to drop in two MiniScribe
3085 (1/2 height) drives in place of the my current full-height
drive (slightly more storage than one 6128, but better avg
access time).  However, from John's hardware notes, this sounds
like considerably more work - not to mention the problem of
tying them both down inside the case.  Any comments?
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (11/12/88)

In article <1015@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>I have a (he thinks) fairly simple question about replacing
>the drive in a 3B1.  I see that Miniscribe has a drive, the
>model 6128, that is ST506/412, 110.1MB(formatted), with 1024
>cylinders and 8 heads.  Can I drop one of these straight into
>my 3B1 (which currently has a 40MB drive)?
>  Any comments?

Hmmmm.  The standard "67MB" UNIX PC drive has 1024 cylinders, and 8 heads.
It is actually a 71.3 MB drive, but after allowing for alternate sectors
there are 67 MB available.  How does the 6128 get 110.1 MB???  If it had
25 sectors per track it would be smaller than that; if it had 26 sectors
it would be larger.  I could probably work it out, but the idea is clear:
any drive with more than 67 MB available has more than 17 sectors, or
requires a hardware modification to the UNIX PC.

I don't know if the drivers can deal with more than 17 sectors per track.
Just about all drives I have seen stick to exactly this number.

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (11/12/88)

In article <1015@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
[one big drive]
>Another thing I'm considering is to drop in two MiniScribe
>3085 (1/2 height) drives in place of the my current full-height
>drive (slightly more storage than one 6128, but better avg
>access time).  However, from John's hardware notes, this sounds
>like considerably more work - not to mention the problem of
>tying them both down inside the case.  Any comments?

My current thinking on my hard drive upgrade:

A small square board bolted to the fan grate on the back left. All those 3b1s
out there are proving you don't need the left fan. In the 7300s its ok, but in
the 3b1 is produces dead spots in the air flow and two fans actually makes it
worse. My idea is to just let the connectors stick out the grate. There will
be 6 connectors: 1 hard drive 34 pin, 4 hard drive 20 pin connectors and one
34 pin floppy tape connector. There are four hard drive connectors so that you
can take the internal drive out of the machine to reduce the load on the power
supply. As I have mentioned before in other postings, the system software
already supports two hard drives. I intend to re-write the gd driver to be able
access two more hard drives, one floppy tape drive and maybe one more floppy
drive (AT high density). Convergent had a lot of trouble with this last one,
but I've seen it done before, so I think it's possible.

BTW, does anyone have specs or practical experience with ST-506 hard drive
data cables (the 20 pin one) as far as maximum length goes?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-4272;  MS-DOS is a beautiful flower that smells bad!

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (11/13/88)

In article <498@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
|>In article <1015@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
|>>I have a (he thinks) fairly simple question about replacing
|>>the drive in a 3B1.  I see that Miniscribe has a drive, the
|>>model 6128, that is ST506/412, 110.1MB(formatted), with 1024
|>>cylinders and 8 heads.  Can I drop one of these straight into
|>>my 3B1 (which currently has a 40MB drive)?
|>>  Any comments?
|>
|>Hmmmm.  The standard "67MB" UNIX PC drive has 1024 cylinders, and 8 heads.
|>It is actually a 71.3 MB drive, but after allowing for alternate sectors
|>there are 67 MB available.  How does the 6128 get 110.1 MB???
The Miniscribe 6128 is a 128MB (unformatted) and 109MB (formatted) HD
with 8 heads and 1024 cylinders.  The only bad part is that it
uses the RLL recording format, something the WD1010 disk controller
doesn't support.  What you have in your machine with a 85.3MB (unformatted)
and 71.3MB (formatted) Miniscribe 6085 drive that uses the MFM recording
method.  If you want >1024 cylinders the WD2010 needs to be used.  If you
need >8 heads then you need the P5.1 upgrade to be installed.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

Re: John Milton's question how far the 20-wire data cable can be extended ...

I've seen runs up to 16 feet (the spec permits 20 feet), but those were NOT
on a UNIC-PC.

Considering all the care with which the UNIX-PC has been shielded, it's not
clear WHAT would happen if "bare" ribbon cable were to be brought out that
far from the system (esp. in a room with flourescent lamps and other EMI/RFI
garbage).

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/14/88)

In article <1015@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>I have a (he thinks) fairly simple question about replacing
>the drive in a 3B1.  I see that Miniscribe has a drive, the
>model 6128, that is ST506/412, 110.1MB(formatted), with 1024
>cylinders and 8 heads.  Can I drop one of these straight into
>my 3B1 (which currently has a 40MB drive)?

The Miniscribe obviously has to have more than 17 sectors per track
which isn't exactly standard ST506.  You'd probably be better off trying
a Maxtor XT1140 (15 heads, 920 cylinders) which formats to slightly
over 120 Mb.  That is of course if a 3b1 supports an additional head
select line (which the original ST506 didn't have).  Many of the BYTE
advertisers list them.  (BTW: XT1140 is 28 ms. avg access)
--
Chris Lewis
{uunet!attcan,uunet,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis