[unix-pc.general] EIA/RAM combo card and 512K memory

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (11/13/88)

In article <370@uncle.UUCP> (John B. Milton) jbm@uncle.UUCP writes:
>I know, I know everyone says you can't put it in because the Combo card
>"covers up" all three slots.

Let me get this straight....

I can't buy a EIA/RAM combo card with 1.0meg on board and plug it into
one of my two free slots?  One slot is occupied with a 512K board.

I have a little manual called:

"EIA/RAM Combo Board Installation Guide" (999-300-1931S)
which has a table that shows:

TOTAL		CPU			EXPANSION MEMORY
SYSTEM		ON-BOARD
MEMORY		MEMORY		SLOT 1     SLOT 2            SLOT 3

2.0 MB		0.5 CPU		1.0 EIA		*	    0.5 RAM
				*		1.0 EIA     0.5 RAM

Plus all other permutations of expansion boards/CPU/EIA,etc...

It even has a picture of an EIA/RAM expansion board with 2 RS-232
ports on the back of *ONE* board (NOT COVERING UP ALL THREE SLOTS).

SO...  Can I, or Can't I have both the 512K memory board + the
EIA/RAM expansion board at the same time???????
--
Dave Arnold (dave@arnold.UUCP)
Work: Volt Delta Resources     Phone: (714) 921-7635

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (11/14/88)

In article <234@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
> In article <370@uncle.UUCP> (John B. Milton) jbm@uncle.UUCP writes:
> >I know, I know everyone says you can't put it in because the Combo card
> >"covers up" all three slots.
>
> Let me get this straight....
>
> I can't buy a EIA/RAM combo card with 1.0meg on board and plug it into
> one of my two free slots?  One slot is occupied with a 512K board.

After reading John's article carefully, I understand what he meant by
"covers up" all three slots.  Stupid me.

So the answer to my question is:  Yes... You can have a EIA/RAM card
and 512K board in at the same time.  However, the most you can have
on the EIA/RAM is 1.0M, and put the 512K board in slot 2 (the third
slot).  So, might as well just put another 512K on the EIA, and take
out the 512K memory board.

ANYBODY HAVE A EIA/RAM COMBO BOARD THAT WORKS FOR SALE??  :-( :-(
I want one bad, but don't want to pay $800.
--
Dave Arnold (dave@arnold.UUCP)
Work: Volt Delta Resources     Phone: (714) 921-7635
Home: 26561 Fresno street,  Mission Viejo, Ca  92691

ebd@cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) (11/16/88)

Hogwash!!! yes you can have a 512K ram expansion card and a RAM/COMBO board
in the same system. the only thing that is required is that the 512K RAM
card be in the center slot. Don't ask me why, but it won't work any other
way that i know of!!!

Elliot Dierksen
ebd@cup.portal.com