[unix-pc.general] rn/nntp on unixpc?

ecf_hap@jhunix.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (11/27/88)

I gotta coupla questions about running rn on this here miniature 3b20 :-).
How much disk space do you need to install rn for the unixpc (I mean, not
counting the gigabytes you need for the actual news)?

Has anyone ever tried nntp(Network News Transfer Protocol) on this box?
Believe it or not, I have the unixpc in my office hitched to the Internet
and I'd really rather use the "free" network than long-distance calls.  I
just don't know if I'm up to the task of trying to get nntp working on it if
it's a real pain.

BTW- a tip for anyone putting a unixpc on ethernet: don't put it on a DELNI.
I can only testify for the DEC variety, but any multi-port-transciever-type
box will probably give you headaches.  The ethernet card for the unixpc
doesn't seem to handle collisions well, and that's how a DELNI-type box
keeps all the devices from talking at once.  Every time someone on the DELNI
sends a packet, the DELNI sends a collision to the other devices - thus the
problem if your device doesn't like collisions.  The symptoms are
short-packets on the cable, and terrible performance from the ethernet
interface (telnet, for instance, is no longer preferable to that 1200-baud
modem).  I also had problems with connections that didn't die becauses the
final packets were short, and therefore never received properly.  Really
shows the potential shortcomings of datagrams.  'Nuff said.

Andy

.  *        .       *           .     *  .     *   .     *    *     .       *
  .     *     _        .   *     *    .  .   *      andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu  .
    *  .    _/ \   *   _   .      .  *      *       *    .       *     .
\          /    \_   _/ \      *         _/\   *    ap@ipgate.hcf.jhu.edu    *
 \   . * _/  /\   \ / () \_       /\_   /   \_*  .   *   .       *    .    .
^ \_    /         _/       \    _/   \_/   <> \_    ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP
    \ /`     <>  /   <>     \_ /   <>     _     \  *       .         *      .
\    \_  ()   __/        _    \  /\      / \_ ^  \   L64A0429@jhuvm.BITNET  .
   /\  \_   _/   ()    _/ \_   \_      _/    \_   \___________________________

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (11/28/88)

In article <293@jhunix.JHU.EDU>, ecf_hap@jhunix.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) writes:

> BTW- a tip for anyone putting a unixpc on ethernet: don't put it on a DELNI.
> I can only testify for the DEC variety, but any multi-port-transciever-type

Hmmmm.  A DELNI a multi-port-transciver?  Sort of.

> box will probably give you headaches.  The ethernet card for the unixpc
> doesn't seem to handle collisions well,

Huh?  How does it work then?

> Every time someone on the DELNI
> sends a packet, the DELNI sends a collision to the other devices

er, ah... Beg pardon, sending a collision doesn't really make any
sense... But "asserting carrier" would.  However, asserting carrier
is how any ethernet transceiver should work.

> The symptoms are
> short-packets on the cable, and terrible performance from the ethernet
> interface (telnet, for instance, is no longer preferable to that 1200-baud
> modem).  I also had problems with connections that didn't die becauses the
> final packets were short, and therefore never received properly.

Hmmmmm.  Packets not received because they are too short.
Okay everybody, stop sending short packets!

> shows the potential shortcomings of datagrams.  'Nuff said.

Sorry Andy, I couldn't resist.
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.volt.com

showard@ucqais.uc.edu (Steve Howard) (12/04/88)

In article <293@jhunix.JHU.EDU>, ecf_hap@jhunix.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) writes:
> Has anyone ever tried nntp(Network News Transfer Protocol) on this box?

We have NNTP running on a 3b1....It works great!

> BTW- a tip for anyone putting a unixpc on ethernet: don't put it on a DELNI.
> I can only testify for the DEC variety, but any multi-port-transciever-type
> box will probably give you headaches.  The ethernet card for the unixpc

The same 3B1 is plugged into a DEC Delni and has been working fine for months.
There has never been any problem that would suggest it was caused by any
hangup with the 3B1 ethernet card or the Delni.

--
Steve Howard      Univ of Cincinnati  College of Business Administration
(showard@uccba.uc.edu)   UUCP:  {pyramid,decuac,mit-eddie}!uccba!showard