[unix-pc.general] login clone vs. Chuck Brunow

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (12/05/88)

Quite a few of you wrote want to know what Chuck Brunow had against the
login package I've been working on, and why he was on this religious
campaign.  I thought I might also add a few words of general freeware
wisdom.

Chuck Brunow has been harassing USENET users in many groups since his
return to the net this year.  I guess I get to be one of them.  There
is no basis for his complaining, except mean-spiritedness.  Various
criminal activities of his have been brought to light on the net, and
I guess there is no time like the present to fill you in on his past
actions.

Chuck is a local computer consultant.  On occasions he performs system
installations for local computer users, particularly 3B1 owners.  From
the information I have, it would seem that Chuck also likes to break
into 3B1's using the bugs in the user agent and destory their files
systems, etc.  One such user, who apparently was on his hate-list, had
to have another consultant come in and spend a considerable number of
hours undoing the damage caused by Chuck.

Chuck added me to his hate-list after I complained about his company
using USENET for the sale of commercial software, an activity which is
forbidded outside of a small number of newsgroups.  I feel the recent
announcement of a large piece of free software by myself is very
infuriating to a man who wants to use the network to pad his own wallet.

But I feel there is a bigger issue involved here.  If the bugs in the
user agent on the 3B1 are closed further still, Chuck will be unable to
break into systems with the ease he currently enjoys.  Crackers like
nothing less than having their cracking activities turned off.  After
the first time this information was posted [ about his cracking ], Chuck
wrote threatening e-mail to a person he suspected of giving out the
information.  Chuck can not stand to have the truth known about him.
Chuck has tried several different approaches to have me silenced.  This
slander campaign which resulted from the login clone announcement is only
the most recent.

As for trusting freeware, don't.  The great advantage of having the
source is that you get to see what is going on.  If you can't understand
the code, DON'T USE IT.  This is very true for a privileged package of
programs such as my login clone.  If you don't trust the code, don't use
it.

And you can rest assured that if Chuck Brunow is complaining about it,
that it is not only free, it will also prevent him from breaking into
your system better than the software you are presently using.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Cat of the Week:--------------_   /|-
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |Aren't you absolutely sick and \'o.O'

clb@loci.UUCP (Charles Brunow) (12/07/88)

In article <9139@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>Quite a few of you wrote want to know what Chuck Brunow had against the
>login package I've been working on, and why he was on this religious
>campaign.  I thought I might also add a few words of general freeware
>wisdom.

	Actually I doubt that anyone cares except the "Tin-foil Cowboy"
	himself, but since this is a subject that only I can answer
	authoritatively, I'll waste a couple of minutes on the subject.

	As my posting was a mere three lines saying, in effect, the
	program is suspect and should be inspected, the appropriate
	subject is the software.  However, john haugh lives in the
	sewer of alt.flame and can't tell the difference between flames
	and software and responds by trying to put up a smoke screen
	of lies and distortions.  He does this a great deal in order
	to obscure his numerous failures, and I am but one of his many
	targets.  Greg Woods has the right idea about how to deal with
	him, ...

In article <8187@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
	[ wild, unfounded accusations against Rick Adams and Greg Woods]

In article <895@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>  Whether it is true or not, you have slandered my name in public by making
>such a charge, and I demand to see your evidence. I claim you're full of it.

	To quickly brush aside the drivel and for the benefit of those
	who aren't familiar with haugh, aka "Beach Bum", I'll give a
	brief rule for interpreting haugh; he hasn't any imagination
	so there is SOME truth in everything he says but it is he who
	does the things he likes to accuse many others with.  In other
	words, to read between the lines, substitute his name for whom-
	ever he is ranting about and you'll be close to the truth.

	Now let's quickly deal with the meat of the subject: is the
	"software" being pushed worth having, even if it's free?
	As a side note, the recent "worm" was free, and I don't think
	that anyone can say that "free makes it good".  In the excerpt
	below, haugh credits Dennis Mumaugh for being the author of the
	software which is being misrepresented as his in this group,
	and Dennis points out some portability problems that have surfaced.
	As I said "I recommend that you check this program very carefully."

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

	Dennis puts a bit more explanation in response to another
	person's port of this program ...

>>In article <1358@tmpmbx.UUCP> pengo@tmpmbx.UUCP (Hans H. Huebner) writes:
>>    Hello,
>>
>>    here is my shadow password file library.  It should be System V R3.2
>>    compatible.  I haven't seen the original manual pages, thus there might be
>>    some discrepancies.  Please let me know if you have compatibility
>>    suggestions.
>>
>>    I have written and tested this on XENIX System V.  There is a raw XENIX
>>    Makefile included.  There should be no problems in getting this to run on
>>    BSD systems.  Correct me, if I'm wrong.
>>
>>    	Thanks,
>>    		Hans
>>

>Please see my article <2233@cuuxb.ATT.COM> for a small fix to
>shadow.h: Change all ints in the spwd struct to long.
>--
>=Dennis L. Mumaugh
> Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

	Maybe someone thought I was kidding when I said that haugh uses
	xenix rather that real Unix.  Observe his words ...

>Submitted-by: "The Beach Bum" <jfh@rpp386.UUCP>
>Archive-name: xenix.w
>
>i have hacked the hell out of your "w" command to produce one which
>works on sco xenix for a '386.  i don't know what order you will
>receive the submissions in, but this is one of two.  the other is
>a fuser command.  oh yes, both of them need to be re-wrapped because
>my shar doesn't know about the perils of being mailed about.

	Ok, he uses xenix, which is known to differ from Unix, he writes
	for a '386 which is very different from a 68010, he can't write
	a "shar" that works, and ...

>No Makefile; the compile commands are trivial:

	What a guy! No Makefile.

	Briefly, some of the known bugs ...

>.SH BUGS
>JCPU and current process are both kludges.  The former is really only the
>CPU of running programs in the terminal session, as Xenix does not retain
>user and system times for all programs in a session; the latter attempts to
>disregard background processes, but it is nearly impossible to successfully
>determine if a program is in the background or not.  This is exacerbated by
>the fact that VAR csh(1)'s, when available, look suspiciously like
>background processes because they close their standard input.

	Sounds nice, eh? There's more ...

>If the user block is demand paged, 'w' won't find it;
>I don't have access to a demand-paged system.

	That's nice. And who does have demand paging?  Bingo!
	Anyway, skipping down a bit ...

>If you want "w" to work correctly, get 4.2BSD.
>Because Xenix lacks the appropriate kernel variables, load averages are
>not available.

	Now, remember where haugh said you could use the program for any
	purpose?  Check this out ...

>.SH CREDIT
>Based on a utility written at the University of California at Berkeley.
>Original written by Brandon S. Allbery.
>Modified for SCO Xenix 386 by John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386).
>SHAR_EOF
>cat << \SHAR_EOF > 'w.c'
>/*
> * %W% %E% %U% ncoast!bsa %Z%
> * %Z% Copyright (C) 1985 by Brandon S. Allbery, All Rights Reserved %Z%
> *
> *	8-Jul-88 John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386)
> *	Major hacks to force to work on SCO Xenix 386
> */

>#define KERNEL         "/xenix"

	Alright, so who invited this babboon into the unix-pc groups
	anyway?  What a public service you have done.  Clearly who ever
	it was (both of you) don't know anything about the evaluation
	of software because the subject strayed far from it.  I suggest
	that you use the stuff; go right ahead.  But for anyone with
	good sense, don't touch it with a stick.  And as far as haugh's
	opinion's ...

In article <8880@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>Hmmm.  Maybe I should replay my 'Oh My God, I Need The Practice' flame of
>this past summer.  Any votes?  It was such a *NICE* flame ...

	... go play in the sewer with him if you like; I'd prefer to
	use my time for something useful.  While he was having his
	fun in alt.flame, I released yet another program to the net.
	If you haven't heard, it's called "birdie" and dozens of people
	requested (and received it) world-wide.  My next program, under
	development currently,  is a set of graphics utilities for the
	3b1, with tie-in's to "Paint Power", MacPaint, PBM, PKM, and
	other formats.  Lot's of modular code makes it very flexible,
	and it understands the 7300;  the question is whether or not
	the readers of this group appreciate good code.  Will I get
	flamed again if I express another opinion?  Natch!

#_\_@\\/\_@\\/\_@\            Charles Brunow                   Loci Products
# /--u// --u// --o/            clb@loci.UUCP                  POB 833846-131
# _ __  _ _ __  __ __   ..!uunet!texbell!loci!clb    Richardson, Texas 75083

john@boink.UUCP (John Salmi) (12/07/88)

Dear unix-pc community,

Please forgive this waste of bandwidth, and I know that what I'm about to
say here will be along the same lines of what I'm about to complain about,
BUT,.....

Chuck & BeachBum:

	Take your character deformation and flamage to either alt.flame,
which is an alternate newsgroup specifically set up for flaming, or better
yet, how about email to each other?  I'm sure that it is satisfying to flame
each other in a public forum, but do you think that the rest of the unix-pc
users (and non pc'ers, for that matter) who read this group want to be
participants in your personal "i'm-gonna-get-him-before-he-gets-me" war?
I, for one, do not, and despite the good things you've BOTH had to say in
the past, I've placed you both in my kill file (at least for the next
month or so).

Chuck - the xenix vs. unix thing:  any competent programmer can whip a
pseudo-portable application into shape on most any unix or unix-type machine.
The guy wrote some code, and gave it away.  For free.  He did most of the
work.  I'm reading the code and making whatever changes will be needed for
the sucker to run WELL on my 3b1.

BeachBum - thanks for the code.

Once again, net, I appologize for the waste of net.bandwidth, but I feel
that this needed to be said before things got outta hand here, as I' ve
seen in a lot of other groups.

---
john salmi		internet: boink!john@shamash.cdc.com
software engineer	domain:	  jsalmi@unix.eta.com
eta systems, inc.	uucp:	  {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!shamash!boink!john
st. paul, mn

he:	"i love you".
she:	"i love you too, but in a different way, the way that disappears
	 when you leave the room".