[unix-pc.general] Large files on the Unix PC

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (12/02/88)

The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.
The largest was about 1.4Meg.  Does anyone know what the real limit is?
Am I playing with fate by having files of this size?
I thought that Unix files were able to be much larger than this.
What is it about the UnixPC that makes a limit like this?

---
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs,    Warren MI 48090
{umix!mcf, uunet!edsews}!rphroy!megatron!tkacik

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (12/03/88)

From article <5466@rphroy.UUCP>, by tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik):
> The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
> size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.

type   ulimit   at a UNIX prompt.
This returns the user limit in 512 byte blocks.
A Super user can raise this by 'ulimit 20480000', but a normal user cannot.
The kernel could be configured with a different number for
MAXFSIZE in /etc/master.

You might be able to change it in a file called /etc/icode.  I'm not sure
if icode is recognized on your level of OS.
Try this on a bootable floppy:
/etc/icode:
ulimit 128000
exec /etc/init

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (12/03/88)

In article <5466@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
>size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.

	I remember thinking about this a while back. I think that this limit
existed in 2.0 (and maybe 3.0) but went away in 3.5[01] without ever updating
the documentation.

	I run executables > 1meg regularily, and have never seen a file
size limit error.

--
					:alex.
					Systems Programmer

Your documentation is a bunch of hooey, bushwa, crapola, etc.  Take you pick!

Run the ulimit program to see what the largest file size can be; on my system
the value is 2,147,483,647 (commas inserted by me for clarity).

I've had single files over 12 Megabytes.  For example, the GNU Emacs 18.52
compressed tar file is 4.5MB and when you uncompress it the resultant file
is 11.4MB.

Best I can determine, the ONLY limit on a file's size is the available disk
space.  Run your system below 1MB free and watch the nifty gas gauge icon
appear in the status window!  :-)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (12/03/88)

In article <5466@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
|>The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
|>size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.
|>The largest was about 1.4Meg.  Does anyone know what the real limit is?
|>Am I playing with fate by having files of this size?
|>I thought that Unix files were able to be much larger than this.
|>What is it about the UnixPC that makes a limit like this?

Well I wouldn't worry.  Generally the file size limit is governed by
the process' "ulimit".  On the UNIX pc it's set to: 2147483647, yes
the size of a "signed long".   And that's in blocks :-)

We have B-tree data and index files well over 25 megs on some UNIX PC
systems for our application!  Now if there was only a way to increase
the block size to something like 2048, instead of 512.  That would
certainly increase performance slightly!

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (12/03/88)

In article <5466@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>The documentation for the UnixPC says that there is a 1 Meg limit on the
>size of files.  I have used files that are larger than this.
>The largest was about 1.4Meg.  Does anyone know what the real limit is?
>Am I playing with fate by having files of this size?
>I thought that Unix files were able to be much larger than this.
>What is it about the UnixPC that makes a limit like this?

The real limit on file sizes has to do with the longest list of blocks your
files system can create.

Things that affect this:
 The size of your blocks (512)
 How many bytes are used to number the blocks (3)

 blocks listed in the i-node          (13)
 blocks listed in the first indirect  (170)
 blocks listed in the second indirect (170*170=28900)
 blocks listed in the third indirect  (170*170*170=4913000)
For a total of 4942083 blocks of 512 bytes=2530346496 bytes
The number of bytes in the file is also saved in the i-node as a 32 bit number.

The default limit (ulimit(2)) for users on the UNIXpc is 2147483647.
I HAVE created 2 gig files on the UNIXpc, so I know it works.

Because of the indirect blocks, the du(1) of a file is larger than the size of
the file when the size exceeds 13 blocks and allocates an indirect block

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933;  Got any good 74LS503 circuits?

ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) (12/06/88)

In article <12041@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Best I can determine, the ONLY limit on a file's size is the available disk
>space.  Run your system below 1MB free and watch the nifty gas gauge icon
>appear in the status window!  :-)

Which version of the Unix PC operating system are you running?  I'm
running 3.5, and the only warning I get is when the root file system
goes below 5%.  Then, about every ten minutes, the console beeps, and
a warning message appears in a pop-up window.  The "Touch enter to
continue" thing eats all my typed characters until I do just that.
Very annoying when I'm in an editor.  If I don't type anything, the
window goes away in a couple minutes, only to reappear ten minutes
later.  There's no way to say "I *know*, so shut up!"

Is the gas-gauge icon a little less obtrusive?

-Ed

Still debating whether or not to wait for 3.51b to upgrade...

Re: Ed Horch's question what UNIXpc OS version I'm running ...

I have the "standard" 3.51, no fixdisk.  This is a 3B1, 2MB motherboard,
67MB HD.

Actually, I believe the % point at which the icon appeared (and the message
window that popped up when I clicked on the gas gauge icon) is something
like 2%.

I usually like to have about 5MB free for those "unexpected" tasks that
always seem to need to be done; I've had the systems since 3rd Qtr 1987 and
it was only when I uucp'd the GNU distribution from osu-cis that I first saw
the icon.  I was pleased that "someone" (cron or smgr?) DID keep track of
that for me; the only other system I can recall that tracked high-water marks
like that was the TOPS-20 on a DECSYSTEM-20.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]