[net.dcom] RS485 communication standards?

bryanf@fluke.UUCP (Bryan Faubion) (04/22/86)

[]
I'm looking for information on RS485 networks that connect industrial
input-output devices. RS485 is an electrical standard for a multidrop,
balanced, twisted pair, transmission medium (like RS422). Is anyone
aware of a standard network protocol, defacto or otherwise, for using
this medium?  I'm not looking for a big, complex packet switching
protocol, rather what I need is a fairly simple protocol that would not
place a heavy real time processing burden on a microprocessor. All of
the devices on the net do not need to communicate with each other, only
to a single bus master.

Any leads would be appreciated: names of companies using RS485, pointers to
standards, part numbers of microprocessor peripherals, etc.

Thanks,

                                *******
Bryan Faubion; John Fluke Mfg. Co MS 243F; PO Box C9090 Everett WA 98206
{uw-beaver,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}!fluke!bryanf
                             (206) 356-6213
--

                                *******

wsr%lmi-angel@lmi-angel.UUCP (04/29/86)

In article <> bryanf@fluke.UUCP writes:
>I'm looking for information on RS485 networks that connect industrial
>input-output devices. RS485 is an electrical standard for a multidrop,
>balanced, twisted pair, transmission medium (like RS422).

	I remember seeing something like that from Corvus. They called
it 'Omninet'. It had normal sync usarts linked over a multidrop, +/-5v
balanced line (at 1Mbaud). Their protocol was all proprietary, so it
probably isn't a very good starting point.

	The Apple Mac-bus is another similar bus, although they use
transformer coupling to the two-wire serial cable. A request to
net.micro.mac should provide lots of info.

--
	Wolfgang Rupprecht		{harvard|cca|mit-eddie}!lmi-angel!wsr