[unix-pc.general] Advice re .5Meg upgrade

randy@halcdc.UUCP (randy orrison) (12/13/88)

My machine at home is a 7300 with .5Meg of RAM on the motherboard.
Using the C compiler (especially when anything else is going on, like
uucico or rn) is excruciatingly slow.  There's no way I can afford a
2Meg board right now, but I can maybe squeeze a .5Meg board into my
budget.  Is going from .5Meg to 1Meg going to make much difference?

(Quantification would be nice, e.g. compiling inews/rnews/expire/etc
(not including readnews/postnews) takes 8 hours on my machine, and 30
minutes on my friends 3B1 with 2.5Meg.  How long would this take with
1Meg?)

	Thanks in advance!
		-randy
--
Randy Orrison - Control Data in the Hills of Arden	randy@halcdc.uucp
aka randy@{ux.acss.umn.edu, umnacvx.bitnet, cctb.mn.org, umn-cs.uucp}

	C:	The Alpha and Omega of the Zen of Programming.

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (12/14/88)

In article <130@halcdc.UUCP> randy@halcdc.UUCP (randy orrison) writes:
[.5M UNIXpc]
>(Quantification would be nice, e.g. compiling inews/rnews/expire/etc
>(not including readnews/postnews) takes 8 hours on my machine, and 30
>minutes on my friends 3B1 with 2.5Meg.  How long would this take with
>1Meg?)

I would say (from experience), it would be 30 minutes, if the system is idle.
You can't beleive the difference of 512k makes!

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933;  Got any good 74LS503 circuits?