[unix-pc.general] Basic info on the 3.51c kernel people notice...

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (12/24/88)

In article <448@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>In article <557@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>
>>I'm concerned that something is screwed up.  Maybe it's because I'm
>>running UNIX3.51c, maybe not.  Is there a way to start things fresh,
>                 ^
>                 `--SINCE WHEN?!!!

3.51c is the kernel from the "soon to be released" fixdisk 2.0.  It is
not available yet, but should be sometime in the early part of next
year.

The kernel which was to be known as 3.51b has been superceded by
3.51c.   This is why we've been waiting so long for the next fixdisk
set.  3.51b was nearly complete when some very esoteric, but
relatively serious, problems were discovered, and 3.51b merged into
the fixes comprising 3.51c.

Some people have managed to get their hands on the 3.51c kernel
(kernel only, no other fixes, of which there are several, as I
understand it), but that has usually been accomplished by both
screaming and yelling a lot, and knowing who to scream and yell at
(a lot :-).

Again, don't bother the hotline.  They don't have any idea about this
stuff.  Information on the fixdisk will be posted as soon as more
details are known, and once it's released.

(Congratulations.  You've been given a lot more information than the
hotline has been given... :-)

--
"The greatest minds in physics                               Robert J. Granvin
 were stumped- Tom Cruise, John             National Information Systems, Inc.