[unix-pc.general] dbase

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (12/31/88)

In article <375@torah.UUCP> haber@torah.UUCP (Yaacov Haber) writes:

>We are in need of a good commercial quality
>data base program for the 3b1. We are presently using
>dbase 3 but it is a very buggy version and has no support
>as it is a buggy version. We need something similair that works
>has good documentation and support. Does anyone have any
>suggestions. I have no idea what is out there.

I have been using PROGRESS through several revisions, and I am very
happy with it.  It is source compatible with versions on the IBM PC,
VMS, and an incredible number of UNIX flavors. There is also a version
for use on a LAN (I don't know which one).

It is too complex, and upgrading is too active, for it to be bug-free,
but it is very useable, and the support is very good.  It gets good
reviews, and good user satisfaction reports in the trade press.

Contact: Progress Software, 5 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730 617-275-4500

Disclaimer: My only contact with Progress Software is as a satisfied
user.  Your mileage may vary.