[unix-pc.general] Modem woes

wilber@alice.UUCP (Bob Wilber) (01/07/89)

I'm having problems getting an AT&T 2224 modem to work with the 3b1.  When I
try to use it with the AT&T command set at 2400 baud (all switches down except
SW 5 is up) it keeps autobauding down to 1200 baud.  Since the modem at the
other end is at 2400 baud, garbage results.  I tried sending an initial BREAK
but that doesn't help.

I have a bit more luck in Hayes ("AT command set") mode, since I can call out
at 2400 baud and get a connection, without my modem reverting to 1200 baud.
However, when I leave cu the modem never hangs up.  I have to hit the DATA
button on the modem.  This inability to hang up will do bad things to my phone
bill if uucp tries dialing out.

I'm using HDB uucp, in case that matters.

Does anyone know how to get this modem to work?

Bob Wilber   wilber@research.att.com
             att!gauss!wilber

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (01/09/89)

I am currently using one without trouble.  I am connected up to a
serial port on an EIA/RAM Combo board.  It works both through the call
screen and through cu.  I have it set for the AT&T command set.

I have seen something similar to what you describe happan on a 3B2
though.  It that case the cu sets the outgoing line to 2400 and gets a
1200 baud answer.  THe modem falls back to 1200, but the line is still
set at 2400, so you get garbage.

In you case, since the modem is falling back to 1200 on a 2400
connect, I think it has to be hardware, most likely the modem itself.
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

ebd@cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) (01/10/89)

Bob Wilber writes:
> I'm having problems getting an AT&T 2224 modem to work with the 3b1.  When I
> try to use it with the AT&T command set at 2400 baud (all switches down except
> SW 5 is up) it keeps autobauding down to 1200 baud.  Since the modem at the
> other end is at 2400 baud, garbage results.  I tried sending an initial BREAK
> but that doesn't help.

I have also have had trouble with AT&T protocol & autobaud, i use hayes!

> I have a bit more luck in Hayes ("AT command set") mode, since I can call out
> at 2400 baud and get a connection, without my modem reverting to 1200 baud.
> However, when I leave cu the modem never hangs up.  I have to hit the DATA
> button on the modem.  This inability to hang up will do bad things to my phone
> bill if uucp tries dialing out.

Try settting &D2 before dialing, this tells the modem to hang up the phone
when DTR goes low. that should solve the uucico problem.

Elliot Dierksen
ebd@cup.portal.com