[unix-pc.general] Unix PC uugetty, Sun 3/50 or 4/110 getty

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (12/31/88)

We're connecting an AT&T UNIX PC to a Sun 4/110.

We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).  We've got getty on the sun ALM-II
(4-3.2_REV2, set the kernel bit to recognize carrier).
The cable we're using is the standard AT&T cable:
1-1, 2-3, 3-2, 4-5, 5-4, 6&8-20, 7-7, 20-6&8

The Sun appears to announce 'nodename login:' regardless
of existance of carrier.  This leads to 'getty wars'.

If the sun would just shut up until it gets a character (like
the AT&T), these wars would not be fought.

Or perhaps I need to use a different cable.  Any thoughts?

Bob Ames
---
  National Organization for the  | Bob Ames       \ Marijuana: "The safest drug
 Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML | 619-743-2546    \ in the world" (Source Drug
"Marijuana is safer than tobacco"| bob@rush.cts.com \ Enforcement Admin - 1987)
Surgeon General C Everett Koop'88      ##### ..nosc! )..!crash!rush.cts.com!bob
"Pot is best fire de-erosion seed| ..hplabs!hp-sdd! /   "We each pay a fabulous
& 1 acre of pot equals 4 acres of| ..rutgers!ucsd! /    price - for our visions
trees for paper products." - USDA|New Rush 1-9-89!/   of paradise" -- Rush 1987

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (01/01/89)

In article <779@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:

> We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
> new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
   ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?

I guess now is a good time for this question.

When HDB places a ACU call, why the *&^^% doesn't it open the port
with O_NDELAY?  I have to tell my modem to keep carrier high, which
is certainly not correct, and screws up detection of remote hangups.

Or am I missing something?
--
Dave Arnold
...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (01/02/89)

In article <295@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <779@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>> We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
>> new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
>   ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
>to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?

This is NOT a rom upgrade, it is a replacement Zilog 8530 serial chip.
It seems that Combo Boards Rev F. were made wioth a bad batch of chips.

>I guess now is a good time for this question.
>
>When HDB places a ACU call, why the *&^^% doesn't it open the port
>with O_NDELAY?  I have to tell my modem to keep carrier high, which
>is certainly not correct, and screws up detection of remote hangups.

Here are the lines from my Dialers file for the Telebit I'm using. I am using
a straight through 10 wire cable. I also have S53=4. For the Devices file,
the ",M" turns off O_NDELAY until after the first send is done in the Dialers
file. For the Dialers file the "\M" turns off O_NDELAY, and after connect the
"\m" turns it back on. If the "\M" is NOT the first thing sent, then O_NDELAY
will not be contiguous.

----------/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers----------
tbdir tty000,M - Any tbcu
wake tty000,M - Any tbwake
103 tty000,M - 300 tbdial
212 tty000,M - 1200 tbdial
v22 tty000,M - 2400 tbdial
pep tty000,M - 19200 tbdipep

----------/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers----------
tbcu	=W-,	"" \M\K\dA\pA\pA\pT\r\c OK-\rAT\r\c-OK ATS???????????????\r\c OK ATE1\r\c
tbdial	=W-,	"" \M\K\dA\pA\pA\pT\r\c OK-\rAT\r\c-OK ATS???????????????\r\c OK ATS66=1DT\T\r\c CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c 00
tbdipep	=W-,	"" \M\K\dA\pA\pA\pT\r\c OK-\rAT\r\c-OK ATS???????????????\r\c OK ATSS50=255S66=1DT\T\r\c CONNECT-\c-CONNECT-\c-CONNECT \m\c FAST

John

--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933;  Got any good 74LS503 circuits?

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (01/03/89)

In article <295@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
> In article <779@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
> > new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
>    ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
> to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?

Yes.  AT&T will send you, for free, a new PROM for your combo card.
The one-line I have about the chip you SHOULD have is:
8530 chip rev J or better Zilog Z08530

This is the largest chip on the board.  As long as you have Rev J
or better, you're OK.  Just call the hotline and say you need the
free combo board chip upgrade that they're providing.  They should know
about this.

> When HDB places a ACU call, why the *&^^% doesn't it open the port
> with O_NDELAY?  I have to tell my modem to keep carrier high, which
> is certainly not correct, and screws up detection of remote hangups.

/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:
tbfast =W-/ "" \MA\pA\pA\pAT OK ATS7=80S64=1S92=0S50=255S7=60DWT\T\r\d\m\c FAST

This is how I do it.  The \M turns off carrier check, and \m turns it back on.

This way, if rush gets a BUSY, NO CARRIER, or any other cause which hangs up,
HDB stops trying.  The 'Blazer nodem is set up so it drops carrier
when it hangs up the phone.  This has the advantage that it can detect
answer failure.  If I left carrier detect to truly detect carrier,
it could only detect line status after a connection was made.  rush would
not learn when a 'BUSY' occurs, for example.

Bob Ames
---

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (01/03/89)

In article <453@uncle.UUCP>, jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:

> This is NOT a rom upgrade, it is a replacement Zilog 8530 serial chip.
> It seems that Combo Boards Rev F. were made with a bad batch of chips.

What were the symptoms of the bad boards?
--

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (01/03/89)

In article <295@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <779@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>>
>> We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
>> new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
>   ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
>to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?
>Dave Arnold   ...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave

I believe what Bob Ames thought was a PROM is really the replacement
8530 Serial Communications Controller chip.  I don't know the whole
story, but apparantly some of the 8530s that were used in some combo
boards had some inherent defects which caused a port to lock or
computer to crash when a lot of I/O was happening on the combo ports.

I have the new 8530, and my board works fine with a VT100 connected to
it at 9600 baud.

-----
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/03/89)

In article <295@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <779@rush.cts.com>, bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>>
>> We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
>> new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
>   ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
>to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?
>
>I guess now is a good time for this question.
>
>When HDB places a ACU call, why the *&^^% doesn't it open the port
>with O_NDELAY?  I have to tell my modem to keep carrier high, which
>is certainly not correct, and screws up detection of remote hangups.
>
>Or am I missing something?
>--
>Dave Arnold
>...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave
>Volt Delta Resources     Phone: (714) 921-7635

	You're missing something. The documentation doesn't
	contain all the information. Later releases of the
	system contain the following comments in the
	Dialers file:

#   Hayes Smartmodem -- modem should be set with the configuration
#   switches as follows:
#
#       S1 - UP		S2 - UP		S3 - DOWN	S4 - UP
#       S5 - UP		S6 - DOWN	S7 - ?		S8 - DOWN
#
#hayes	=,-,	"" \dAT\r\c OK\r ATDT\p\c \T\r\c CONNECT
#   Hayes Smartmodem -- new BNU modem control capabilities
#   If you do not want to strap CD on, use these switch settings:
#
#       S1 - UP		S2 - UP		S3 - DOWN	S4 - UP
#       S5 - UP		S6 - UP		S7 - ?		S8 - DOWN
#
#  and this dialer entry (comment out the earlier one):
#
hayes	=,-,	"" \M\pAT\r\p\c "" ATDT\p\c "" \T\r\m\c CONNECT
#
#  Furthermore, you must add a ",M" subfield to the line field (field
#  2) of the associated Devices file entries, as shown here:
#
#	ACU culd0,M - 1200 hayes \T
#
#  The ",M" subfield will cause the device to be opened with O_NDELAY set
#  (so the open doesn't hang waiting for carrier).  After the open,
#  O_NDELAY is cleared.  Then in the dialer script, "\M" sets CLOCAL and
#  "\m" clears it.   Typically, CLOCAL is set for the duration of the
#  dialer chat, then cleared (so uucico and cu will detect dropped lines)
#  once you're connected to the remote system.

Cheers,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (01/04/89)

In article <301@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <453@uncle.UUCP>, jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>>
>> This is NOT a rom upgrade, it is a replacement Zilog 8530 serial chip.
>> It seems that Combo Boards Rev F. were made with a bad batch of chips.
>
>What were the symptoms of the bad boards?

I think I forgot to mention that the fix for the Combo Boards is FREE, if you
know what to tell the person on the hot line. What they do is match your
symptom to their list. If your symptom(s) match the Z8530 replacement, they'll
send you the kit. Now for what you asked. The problem I was having was garbled
data that went from one machine to the other WITH the Combo board. I think I
also mentioned crashes that seemed to be board related, but I wasn't sure about
that one.

John
--

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (01/06/89)

In article <194@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
=	You're missing something. The documentation doesn't
=	contain all the information. Later releases of the
=	system contain the following comments in the
=	Dialers file:
=

This is in HDB for the Unix PC?  What version of HDB?  How can I get it?
 (groan - here we go again!  :-))

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/13/89)

In article <551@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
+---------------
|In article <194@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
|=	You're missing something. The documentation doesn't
|=	contain all the information. Later releases of the
|=	system contain the following comments in the
|=	Dialers file:
|=

|This is in HDB for the Unix PC?  What version of HDB?  How can I get it?
| (groan - here we go again!  :-))
+---------------

	My apologies for excess tersitude (8^) - the quoted text
	comes from a later release of System V, not any AT&T 3B1
	release of HDB uucp.
	Nevertheless, the reference is correct for all 3B1 HDB
	versions as far as I can see - it just wasn't documented
	properly for the 3B1 release. I use the feature to tame the
	Telebit which won't drop the line properly without it,
	or can't be talked to, depending on the setting of the
	CD register.

	Now if I could just figure out how to get 'cu' to talk
	direct to the modem (as in "cu -l /dev/tty000")...

+---------------
|Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
|Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
|1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
|Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800
+---------------

Cheers,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
    \(")/	BitNet:   BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET
---mm-U-mm---	"PMS == Post Modernist Syndrome, doesn't it?" - Lucy Van Pelt

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (01/15/89)

In article <207@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <551@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>
>	Now if I could just figure out how to get 'cu' to talk
>	direct to the modem (as in "cu -l /dev/tty000")...

I'm coming in on the end of this discussion, so I might be missing something.
I talk to my Telebit by putting a line in L-devices that says
	DIR tty000 0 9600
and typing "cu -l /dev/tty000 -s 9600 dir".
							-cliff