[unix-pc.general] Keyboard Cables?

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (01/27/89)

Does anyone have any sources for UNIX-PC keyboard cables?
A while back, someone posted information giving a number
of sources of longer cables, coiled/non-coiled, shielded, etc.,
but I can't seem to dig this up.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the 23Mb tape
backup unit?

And, finally, does anyone have any information regarding the
algorithm used by the 3B1 to backup?  I assume a complete
backup saves the entire hard disk which, considering that
so much of it is from the foundation disks and other UNIX
stuff already on the owner's floppies, is quite a waste!
And the "backup one user" selection doesn't tell me how many
floppies I'll need!  Just hope, and if I'm short, it starts
numbering them all over after barfing on, for instance, a
non-formatted disk!  I've just cpio'd from a user's node and
then split the file into floppy-sized chunks.  Has anyone
tried to change the "last-partial-backup" date to cause only any
files changed AFTER the initial software installation to
be saved for backing up?

Thanks!
				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ihlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(please include phone for response)

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (01/28/89)

In article <7454@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
> Does anyone have any sources for UNIX-PC keyboard cables?
> A while back, someone posted information giving a number
> of sources of longer cables, coiled/non-coiled, shielded, etc.,
> but I can't seem to dig this up.

Here's all I could find in the archives on the subject:

|From: jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior)
|Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att
|Subject: Keyboard Cable
|Date: 29 Aug 87 06:17:01 GMT
|
|Are you fed up with the cable that connects your UNIX-PC to its keyboard?
|
|I certainly am.  It is much too short.  So I am looking for a keyboard
|extension cable.  If you know of such a beast, please let me know how I may
|get one.
|
|Murphy warns me not to expect such a cable to be available, so I am
|prepared to take this matter into my own hands.
|
|Do you want such a cable?  If so, then please let me know.  Also say
|how long you think the cable should be.  How much would you expect such
|a cable to cost?  How much would you be willing to spend on it?  Should
|the cable be coiled or straight?  Please send me mail with your answers.
|I'll post a summary of your replies.  The more responses there are, the more
|likely some company would consider making the beast.
|
|I am accustomed to proping up a
|monitor on the far side of a desk, propping my feet upon the near edge of
|said desk, leaning back and typing with the keyboard on my lap.  The UNIX-PC
|keyboard cable is always fighting me.  It looks neat sitting on the box, but as
|soon as one pulls it off the box and sits it down in front of the box, the
|coiled cord starts pulling.  It probably would have been long enough, if it
|hadn't been coiled.  Does anybody know how to uncoil it without unduly
|stressing the conductors?
|
|I myself, have the means to splice in some extra wire, but it wouldn't be
|as nice as a cable done right.  I would sure like to see a good long cable.
|
|My own empirical ohmic study of the cable has established the following
|connections as looking into the ends of the cable.  The numbering of pins
|is my own.  The ends are identical.
|
|  Bare
| Shield
|  Side
|+-+-+-+-+
||1|3|5|7|
|+-+-+-+-+
||2|4|6|8|
|+-+-+-+-+
|
|  One End     Other End
|Bare Shield  Bare Shield
|     1            1
|     2            2
|     3            3
|     4            6
|     5            5
|     6            4
|     7            7
|     8            8
|
|Notice how pins 4 and 6 are swapped, similar to that of a null modem.
|--
|James E. Prior  {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep

|From: jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior)
|Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att
|Subject: UNIX PC Keyboard Extension Cable
|Date: 29 Sep 87 03:02:27 GMT
|
|I promised to post a summary of replies to my questions about how
|much a keyboard extension cable for the UNIX PC is wanted.
|
|I received only one reply, which makes this compilation easy:
|
|Respondant               myself          Gary Falsken
|                         ------          ------------
|Length                   12 feet         no response
|$ Expect to See          $35 to $50      $10 to $15
|$ Willing to Spend       $60             no response
|Coiled vs. Straight      straight        *both*
|
|It looks like I'll be splicing in some cable myself.
|--

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

roger@banzai.UUCP (Roger Florkowski) (01/28/89)

In article <7454@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:

>And, finally, does anyone have any information regarding the
>algorithm used by the 3B1 to backup?  I assume a complete
>backup saves the entire hard disk which, considering that
>so much of it is from the foundation disks and other UNIX
>stuff already on the owner's floppies, is quite a waste!
>
>[deleted]... Has anyone
>tried to change the "last-partial-backup" date to cause only any
>files changed AFTER the initial software installation to
>be saved for backing up?

A "complete" backup only backs up those files that are newer
than /etc/.installdate,  therefor, it does NOT backup the foundation
set.   The first "complete" backup then sets /etc/.lastbackup,
which "partial backup" works off of.  It 'knows' that a Complete
backup hasn't been done if /etc/.lastbackup is missing.
This works the same for both Tape backups and floppy backups.

for those hackers, look in:

/usr/bin/Backup.sh	[for floppy backups]
/usr/bin/Tbackup.sh	[for Tape backups]

--
Roger Florkowski	       		{uunet!uvm-gen, attmail}!banzai!roger
The People's Computer Company			  `Revolutionary Programming'

jlw@lznv.ATT.COM (J.L.WOOD) (01/30/89)

In article <7454@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
> Does anyone have any sources for UNIX-PC keyboard cables?
> A while back, someone posted information giving a number
> of sources of longer cables, coiled/non-coiled, shielded, etc.,
> but I can't seem to dig this up.

The original posting - somewhat updated:

From postnews Wed Dec 10 14:41:01 1986
Subject: UNIX PC Keyboard Extension Cable
Newsgroups: unix-pc.general

A few weeks ago I was in one of our engineer's offices and
      ^^^^^ - Now over two years ago
much to my surprise I saw a picture of the UNIX PC's keyboard
cable on the front of a catalog he had.  I subsequently contacted
the company and obtained a working replacement cable (I'm using it
now) which is 2 1/2 times as long as the stock one.  This is extremely
handy for using the keyboard on one's lap or in certain types
of new office furniture with keyboard drawers which (naively)
assume that all cables come out of the back.  In any event,
here's what I have:

	Dupont Connector Systems
	Catalog 86-A p 372
		^^^^ - Very old catalog

	Latch-N-Lok (tm) Modular Interconnections

	Convergent Assembly 81610 in white but
	to extend 10 feet $20 ea, $14.35 100

	1-800-233-1173 ext 7552 Bonnie
				^^^^^^ - two+ year-old contact
			   7739 Cindy
				^^^^^  - also a two+ year-old contact

Meanwhile back in 1989.  I am still using these cables and no-one has
reported any problems with them yet.  I have placed two orders for
about twenty units each.  One order came in black which is why I have
added the <in white> specification.  I have used these as thank yous
for UNIX PC users who have done me favors.  Sorry I'm all out.

Joe Wood
jlw@lznv.ATT.COM

mkp@taqwa.UUCP (Michael K. Peterson) (01/30/89)

I have the dope on ordering cables at work, but probably
won't be able to post it for a week, as I'm heading to the
airport for a long business trip.

What I do recall is that I ordered my cable from the Connector
Division of DuPont, and it was someplace in Pennsylvania.  I
have the original Convergent part number, address, and phone
number squirreled away;  I recall it cost me $20 qty. one.
--
Mike Peterson		Internet:	mkp@hac2arpa.hac.com
			UUCP:		mkp@hacgate.hac.com

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (01/30/89)

In article <7454@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
>Does anyone have any sources for UNIX-PC keyboard cables?
>A while back, someone posted information giving a number
>of sources of longer cables, coiled/non-coiled, shielded, etc.,
>but I can't seem to dig this up.

The cable is a custom one, made by Dupont. I am getting my information from
catalog #88-A, DuPont Interconnect and Packaging products, page 430

The product is called "Latch-N-Lok" EMI-Shielded Modular Interconections
The sell all different kinds of pin arrangements, angles and cables. If you
don't care about the special latch, or the shielding, you could get a quicky
two row header crimped on a length of ribbon cable at most electronics
distributors. But, BEWARE: some older UNIXpcs use 7400 series chips to drive
the cable. Newer machines use 26LS31s to drive the cable. In other words, it
might not work, or it might be flaky.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933;  Got any good 74LS503 circuits?

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (02/01/89)

In article <1542@lznv.ATT.COM> jlw@lznv.ATT.COM (J.L.WOOD) writes:
> In article <7454@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
> > Does anyone have any sources for UNIX-PC keyboard cables?...
>
> The original posting - somewhat updated:
>
> From postnews Wed Dec 10 14:41:01 1986
> Subject: UNIX PC Keyboard Extension Cable
> Newsgroups: unix-pc.general
> 	Dupont Connector Systems
> 	Catalog 86-A p 372
> 		^^^^ - Very old catalog
>
> 	Latch-N-Lok (tm) Modular Interconnections
>
> 	Convergent Assembly 81610 in white but
> 	to extend 10 feet $20 ea, $14.35 100
>
> 	1-800-233-1173 ext 7552 Bonnie
> 				^^^^^^ - two+ year-old contact

I had a chat this afternoon with Bonnie Wheeler, still at the same extension
after these two years (dunno what happened to Cindy).  Here's the scoop, as
well as I can summarize it:

	1. The part number she has is "81610-001".

	2. The length of this cable is 10 3/4 inches in its "relaxed"
	   (non-extended) state, with an expansion ratio of 4 1/2 to 1,
	   which means it will extend to a few feet.

	3. The cost is $35.

	4. The delivery time is approximately 2 weeks.

Now, having said all that, let's take a look at the facts.  Seems to me that
the stock cable is about the quoted length, and, yeah, it'll stretch to a few
feet alright, but I don't want to do so, 'cause I've seen a cable that seems
to have been over-extended sometime in its life history, and it just doesn't
bounce back to its original coiled shape, despite what Bonnie had to say about
these cables having a good "memory" (meaning, I suppose, their tendency to
return to their original length and shape -- say, that reminds me, does anyone
recall a movie with Red Skelton 20 or more years ago - called "The Fuller
Brush Man," I think, a murder mystery/comedy sort of thing where an important
part of the plot had to do with their being unable to find the murder weapon?
Ah, but I digress!).

Well, to make a long/short story short :-), Bonnie says that she can't find
mention of a longer cable.  Given the stretch ratio quoted above, It would
appear the cable would have been just over two feet "relaxed."  Anyway, she
says they can make cables to any length, but they have a minimum order of
$250.00.  After some more conversation, she finally said, in effect, that
they could waive the minimum order requirement.  For my purposes, a cable
that's only about another 6-8 inches longer would do the trick.  She says
they could sell such things for about $40, but that the delivery time would
probably go up to something like 6-8 weeks.  I suggested that they might
just batch up a bunch of orders so it's not too much trouble for them to
make 'em up, but she said that would just snarl the system even more.

Y'know, despite what I said earlier, I find that I can actually stretch the
standard cable far enough to put the keyboard on my lap, even though I have
the computer sitting so the front edge is back well over a foot from the
front edge of the desk it's on - this without seeming to risk distorting the
cable unduly.  Hey - what are you folks complaining about??

Maybe we could get Lenny, Gil, and John to design us an infrared interface
for the keyboard, like they used to have on the PeeCee Junior??  Yeah, and
maybe an extendable periscope option for laptop use!  ;-)

Well, I alerted Bonnie that she might be getting a large number of calls on
the subject of cables, and promised to FAX her a copy of the original
message, as well as this one.

Hope this info helps.
--

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (02/03/89)

In article <112@gnosys.UUCP> gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>Maybe we could get Lenny, Gil, and John to design us an infrared interface
>for the keyboard, like they used to have on the PeeCee Junior??  Yeah, and
>maybe an extendable periscope option for laptop use!  ;-)
>Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
>Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

This is an interesting idea, but probably not all that practical.  The
power consumption of the UNIX-pc keyboard and any associated power
consumption needed by the infrared receiver/transmitter would probably
kill a set of batteries pretty fast.  You could run the keyboard from
one of those plug-in transformers, but that would defeat the idea of
a mobile keyboard (or one for your lap, for that matter).

I guess we'll just have to keep with the extension cords.

----
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (02/10/89)

In article <112@gnosys.UUCP> gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>Maybe we could get Lenny, Gil, and John to design us an infrared interface
>for the keyboard, like they used to have on the PeeCee Junior??  Yeah, and
>maybe an extendable periscope option for laptop use!  ;-)

A friend of mine once had a PC with an infrared keyboard.  He ran a BBS
on it, and it sat on a shelf in his living room, near the stereo.

I was looking at his new CD player a few days after he bought it; the
machine had a remote control unit which I picked up and began to fiddle
with.  I was interrupted by an incoherent yell from my friend, but alas,
it was too late.

It seems that the signals from the infrared remote control unit were
capable of confusing the keyboard driver sufficiently to crash the bios;
sufficient, in fact, to cause it to scribble on the disk.

--
 kent@happym.wa.com, tikal!camco!happym!kent, Happy Man Corp 206-282-9598