[net.dcom] hardware flow control and modems

jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) (05/07/86)

In article <687@down.FUN> honey@down.UUCP writes:
>the modem wants hardware flow control, but unix drivers tend
>not to support it.  (i am told there is a vax hardware problem

The problem is that the DZ does not support the CTS and RTS pins (they
are strapped to DCD and DTR respectively, if I remember correctly).
There are inventive solutions to this, mostly involving the Ring
Indicator pin (which the DZ does support). We use changeover cables
which convert CTS on the modem side to RI on the DZ. Other people have
re-wired their DZ breakout panels. We run specially hacked KMC
microcode (sorry - it's proprietary I think) which uses RI as a
out-bound flow control pin. Presumably one could modify the driver
and use special cables to use DTR as a in-bound flow control lead, but
I don't know of anyone who has done that.

Time for my favourite plea - Please everyone start supporting CTS/RTS
flow control - it solves so many problems!

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.