[unix-pc.general] TeX, any answers?

arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) (02/22/89)

Did we ever reach a conclusion as to the availability of TeX for the
Unix/PC?  I was able to pick up the DVI previewer from hotel.cis.ksu.edu.
And I saw the source for C-TeX.  But I was hoping to find a binary
for TeX already compiled so that I wouldn't have to go to a lot of
trouble and make room on my disk.

Basically, all I would like to be able to do is run TeX and use the previewer.
I don't intend to do any printing off my 3B1, so I don't need all the font
bitmaps and stuff.

Thanks in Advance,
--
"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the

mike@stolaf.acc.stolaf.edu (Mike Haertel) (02/24/89)

In article <161@skeeve.UUCP> arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) writes:
>Did we ever reach a conclusion as to the availability of TeX for the
>Unix/PC?  I was able to pick up the DVI previewer from hotel.cis.ksu.edu.
>And I saw the source for C-TeX.  But I was hoping to find a binary
>for TeX already compiled so that I wouldn't have to go to a lot of
>trouble and make room on my disk.
>
>Basically, all I would like to be able to do is run TeX and use the previewer.
>I don't intend to do any printing off my 3B1, so I don't need all the font
>bitmaps and stuff.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>--
>"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
>from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the
>imminent end of the world, and many other departures from the norm of thought."
>E.E. "Doc" Smith, Children of the Lens, 1954 | Arnold Robbins, skeeve!arnold

I have been running TeX on my Unix PC for some time now, with no trouble,
compiled with gcc-1.31.  I have an epson printer, and I use the DVI driver
available from cs.utah.edu.  TeX itself is version 2.93, from the
TeX-to-C distribution available from labrea.stanford.edu.  I have a
complete collection of some 400 fonts (all the CM fonts in all the sizes)
generated from the Metafont source (I also run Metafont) on the Unix TeX
distribution tape available from the University of Washington.  The
binaries for TeX, Metafont, and their friends come to about 1 megabyte.
The PK format font images, TeX macro files, and predumped formats total
about 4 megabytes (with the fonts comprising the bulk of that).  The
Metafont support files (including full source for the computer modern
fonts) are about 1 megabyte.  It's all compiled with the 3.51 shared
libraries, possibly limiting its potential usefulness to people with
older versions of the system.  If there is sufficient interest I will
see if I can make it available via anonymous ftp or perhaps uucp.
--
Mike Haertel <mike@stolaf.edu>
In Hell they run VMS.

brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) (02/24/89)

In article <161@skeeve.UUCP> arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) writes:
>Did we ever reach a conclusion as to the availability of TeX for the
>Unix/PC?

As Ed Hepler hasn't spoken up, it looks like what you want--- UNIXpc
binaries--- are no longer available.  The kernel TeX system consists
of these files:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     bin      156680 Dec  7 14:15 virtex
-rw-r--r--  1 brant   users    269022 Dec  7 14:12 lplain.fmt
-rw-r--r--  1 brant   users    158091 Jul 29  1988 plain.fmt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     bin       69636 Feb 16 20:34 bibtex	[optional]

LaTeX is had by the command "virtex \&lplain $*," TeX by "virtex
\&plain $*."  If these are all that people want, I can easily make
them available.  But you really need other files to actually process a
TeX or LaTeX source file, including style files (for articles,
reports, books, etc.) and the basic font definition files (*.tfm).
That turns out to be a significant amount of stuff (another 200 Kb+?).
People with FTP access can get most of that stuff from
hotel.cis.ksu.edu as well as score.stanford.edu (in <tex>,
<tex.bibtex>, and <tex.fonts> areas).  I haven't heard anything about
uucp availability.

I'll end there.  If you're interested in getting TeX but are having
trouble putting the pieces together, let me know and I'll see what I
can do.  If you don't know what TeX or LaTeX is, get to your nearest
bookstore with a decent Comp Sci collection and check out "The
TeXbook" by Don Knuth and "LaTeX User's Guide" by Leslie Lamport.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Computer and Information Science