[net.dcom] Orphaned Response

billh (02/03/83)

#R:peri:-17900:kirk:19300001:37777777600:320
kirk!billh    Jan 27 08:11:00 1983

  If you are looking for a general discussion of file transfer protocols,
  refer to a book by Andrew Tanenbaum called Computer Networks (1981).
  Specifically, there is a discussion of several variations of
  packet transfer protocols in chapter 4.

				      - Bill Hunt
					HP Corvallis, OR

barrett@hpcnoe.UUCP (barrett) (07/16/84)

If all else Fails, The document you want can be obtained from:

	Electronic Industries Association
	Engineering Department
	2001 Eye Street, N.W.
	Washington D.C. 20006
-------
dave barrett
hplabs!hp-dcd!barrett

barrett@hpcnoe.UUCP (barrett) (02/09/85)

<severe basenote drift>

In Fort Collins, Colorado,  I have found that an independent phone line only
costs about a dollar more per month than call waiting.  If you want one to
ring the other if it is busy, it costs about $5.00 more.  I have one phone
with unlimited local calls, and one with budget-measured service (since
I am unlikely to need to call out on both lines at once).

Dave Barrett
hplabs!hp-dcd!barrett

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (rjn) (08/01/85)

re:  "Had serious problems from a lightning strike last week."

> A wide variety of different maintenance agreements were in effect with the
> various manufacturers.  Many of the contracts turned out to have "acts of
> god" exclusion clauses.

...so do most insurance  policies.  You are usually on your own when it comes
to lightning damage.  Get a surge protector for your AC and get "EMP protect"
cables for your RS-232 peripherals.

Regards,                                               Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                             3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                      Fort Collins CO  80525

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (10/01/85)

      ``Lumpiness'' is a sign of proper adaptation to overload.  The
alternative, given the same bandwidth resources,  is falling further
and further behind as you send more and more tiny packets.  Try two 4.2BSD
systems connected via an overloaded net for comparison.  Obviously it's
better to have the bandwidth, but lumpiness is far better than continually
losing ground.  Or would you rather have the keyboard lock when you get
too far ahead, as with the old IBM 2741?

				John Nagle

hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP (10/02/85)

>In article <11886@rochester.UUCP> lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:
>>I am considering running UUCP over Tymnet in async mode.  I know
>>that I have to put the line into "transparent" mode (8-bits...) but
>>is there anything else to know?  Has anybody else tried this?
>
>You also have to turn off all control characters and make the timer
>(timeout before sending incomplete packets) as short as possible
>(I believe it's 50 Msec.).  Unfortunately, that still has things very
>slow....  If you can try using
>an X.25 Pad and the 4.3 UUCP.  4.3 UUCP supports pads (protocol "f")
>directly.  We are getting 5600 baud effective thru-put with it.
>The major problems with 4.3 is twofold:
>	1) Uses 7 bit mode, so binary files go up in size.
>	2) Assumes "error free" transmission, and only ships a checksum
>	   at the end of the file.  In our case, one of the ends cannot
>	   guarantee reception of characters even at 2400 baud with
>	   flow control, so we die a lot.
>Chris Lewis,

    i had a similar problem trying to run uucp thru a mux that stole the
parity bit and did it's own flow control.  some colleagues here also
needed to run uucp thru a sytek localnet.  i also had chris's problem
#2 -- even tho my muxes guaranteed error-free transmission 6 miles
across town, i couldn't count on the 6 FEET from the mux to my 68000 box
(it occasionally got overrun at speeds over ~2400 baud).
    so i cooked up a variation on the "f" protocol.  i substituted a
couple of routines for the "read" and "write" used by the code in pk1.c.
these new routines do byte stuffing/unstuffing like the "f" protocol
before/after calling the "real" read and write.  in my case, i modified
the stuffing to leave "benign" control chars (newline, tab, etc) alone;
my problem was with ^S/^Q and anything >= 0200.  the actual protocol is
still "g" (renamed "h"), so you still get per-packet acks and checksums.
thruput isn't too bad; the people using the sytek lan get 450 bytes/sec
over 9600 baud for large, mostly text, files.  if the pk1.c code does
reads and writes of whole packets (i never really deciphered it), you could
add an end-of-message character to each packet to avoid waiting for timeout
(i'm pretty sure sytek has such a feature; maybe tymnet does also?).
    the biggest hassle with my solution is keeping 2 versions of uucico
around, and arranging for the right one to be invoked when needed.  one
of these days i'll go back and make it use the "brand" field in L-devices
or something like that.

	wayne hamilton
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (10/30/85)

      We've been testing the Bridge IP gateway; it's probably adequate now for
users who just want to interconnect multiple Ethernets equipped with 4.2BSD
machines, but is not yet general enough to handle interconnection with the
general ARPANET/Internet community.  But we've given them some advice, and
they are going back to put in more general routing, subnets, etc.  Stay tuned
for futher developments.  I expect we'll get a few of these boxes once they
get them upgraded to handle all the hard cases.

					John Nagle

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (10/30/85)

     Network Research Corporation's Fusion package supports IP, TCP, FTP, and
TELNET on a PC using a 3COM Ethernet board.  Only user side support is
provided; there is no server support, so one normally uses this package to
talk to a larger machine, not between PCs.  TCP is supported at about the
same quality level as 4.2BSD (not 4.3), FTP seems OK, TELNET doesn't do
local echo right.  Performance is about 10K bytes/sec on good days for FTP.
The latest release has improved documentation and installation tools; it
doesn't take a guru to install, unlike the previous release.  Price
about $795, 3COM card extra.

					John Nagle

dougm@ICO.UUCP (10/30/85)

/* Written  5:50 pm  Oct 28, 1985 by eric@unmvax in ICO:net.dcom */
/* ---------- "Thin Ethernet - (Any Specifications?" ---------- */

  > Does a standard exist for the so call "thin Ethernet" which
  > is getting more and more press these days.  This has the same
The draft of the IEEE 802.3A standard for 10BASE2 (cheapernet or thin
ethernet) was approved by the IEEE Standards Board at their June 85 meeting.
It should be circulating within the ISO group by now.  You can order it
from IEEE for $6.00.  The announcement went out a while back since ANSI has
adopted it also.  IEEE/802a is a supplement to the ANSI/IEEE 802.3-1985 standard
and can be ordered from:
	IEEE
	345 East 47th St.
	New York, NY 10017-2394
	Attn: Sandra Phillips

This should be what you want.

			Doug McCallum
			Interactive Systems Corp.
			{cbosgd, hao, ima}!ico!dougm

berger@datacube.UUCP (12/16/85)

We've been using MultiTech  MultiModem 224's.   They've  been fine as
far as I can tell.  I do get line noise problems periodically.  I can
usually call the computer back and get a clean line.

I am very curious about these error correction schemes.  We are about
to go out in a big way  and upgrade  all our  modems to  MNP (The new
MultiTech's support MNP).  But I read a rumor on the net  that MNP is
NOT transparent, that you can not use it with uucp  or with terminals
that use XON / XOFF protocols!  If this is true, I don't  know if MNP
is worth anything.

We are paying $525 for the multitech's  with MNP,  about $465 without
MNP.

The other protocal that seems to be talked about is X.PC supported by
Microsoft and I think Hayes.  I  would love  to hear  some reports by
people  who  have  had  experience  with  these  protocols  in a unix
environment.

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!berger
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!berger

dougm@ico (05/08/86)

One product I saw recently announced for RSX/11M to support TCP/IP is
from:	Process Software Corp.
	P.O.Box 746
	Amherst, MA  01004

The announcement was in 2/86 issue of Data Communications and was for
RT-11 support but the same announcement said versions are available
for Micro/RSX, RSX-11M and RSX-11M-Plus and works with the DEQNA.

If you don't need to run on a DEQNA, then something like the Excelan
boards could be used.

				Doug McCallum
				Interactive Systems
				{hao, cbosgd, ima}!ico!dougm