[unix-pc.general] ELM: Want to remove mail file when done: How?

wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/11/89)

In article <390@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (Lemmy Caution) writes:
+ AT&T 3b1, 3.0 OS.
+ The window manager of a 3b1 puts a mail icon at the top of the screen
+ if mail exists for the user.  "Mail" is defined as a non-zero length
+ file existing as /usr/mail/username.
+ To get rid of the icon, the mail file has to dissappear -- not just become
+ zero lenght.  (You can also hit keystrokes to get rid of the icon, but the
+ idea is that after you read your mail, the icon goes away...)

1. The mail icon is put up by smgr, not wmgr;

2. On my 3b1 system (3.5 with the improved wmgr from THE STORE), the icon DOES
   disappear a couple of seconds after ELM terminates, even though the
   mail file is only zeroed, not deleted.
   Does anyone know definitively if 3.5 and 3.51 are different in this regard,
   or where this is defined/explained in the manuals?
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (03/12/89)

>+ AT&T 3b1, 3.0 OS.
>+ To get rid of the icon, the mail file has to dissappear -- not just become
>+ zero lenght.

>2. On my 3b1 system (3.5 with the improved wmgr from THE STORE), the icon DOES
>   disappear a couple of seconds after ELM terminates, even though the
>   mail file is only zeroed, not deleted.

>   Does anyone know definitively if 3.5 and 3.51 are different in this regard,
>   or where this is defined/explained in the manuals?

3.5 and 3.51 both delete the mail icon when the mail file either gets
deleted or goes to zero length.

--
       Robert J. Granvin           "Mueslix: A natural blend of oats, barley,
 National Information Services      octopi, Toyotas, cement and small furry