[unix-pc.general] UNIXPC UUCP Woes

mkp@taqwa.UUCP (Michael K. Peterson) (03/12/89)

In article <15512@cup.portal.com> ebd@cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) writes:
[ debugging yuk deleted]
>> Rmtname: remote
>> imsg >\ 15 \ 12 \ 20 Shere=remote\  0 valid sys Shere=remote
>> imsg >\ 20 R\ 15 \ 15 \ 12 msg-R
>> 	   ^
>> 	   ^
>> 	   ---------------------------LONG PAUSE HERE
>This is the important part!!!!
>
>msg-R means the login id you used is NOT in your USERFILE (/usr/spool/uucp).

You mean /usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE. That's OK; you fixed my problem. ;-)

>One other suggestion, this debug output is level 5 (-x5) or so. if you are
>having problems with uucp use -x9 PLEASE!!!! The output becomes much more
>meaningful!!!

Ah, but it *was* -x9 output.  I was wishing it were "much more meaningful."

>uucico
>has a sort of brain-damaged way it figues out your logname. when login takes
>the logname that is entered, it assigns you a user id number. uucico then
>takes  that user id number and scans /etc/passwd for the first entry that
>matches that user id. more than likely, uucpadm is before nuucp in your
>passwd file. you can either edit /etc/passwd or add uucp to your USERFILE.

This isn't exactly the case I had, but it pointed me in the right direction.
The machines that dial me are given unique login names; they don't come in
as "uucp" or nuucp."  With other versions of uucp I've used (all BSD
derivatives), I recall that that worked just fine without having to make
any special changes to USERFILE.  What I ended up doing was making
entries in USERFILE like:
	Uremote1,sitename1 /usr/spool/uucppublic
	Uremote2,sitename2 /usr/spool/uucppublic

Thanks for the clue.  Everyone's talking now.
--
Mike Peterson		        	work: [under construction]
                      			home: ...!hacgate.hac.com!taqwa!mkp

mkp@taqwa.UUCP (Michael K. Peterson) (03/12/89)

In article <15512@cup.portal.com> ebd@cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) writes:
[ debugging yuk deleted]
>> Rmtname: remote
>> imsg >\ 15 \ 12 \ 20 Shere=remote\  0 valid sys Shere=remote
>> imsg >\ 20 R\ 15 \ 15 \ 12 msg-R
>> 	   ^
>> 	   ^
>> 	   ---------------------------LONG PAUSE HERE
>This is the important part!!!!
>
>msg-R means the login id you used is NOT in your USERFILE (/usr/spool/uucp).

You mean /usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE. That's OK; you fixed my problem. ;-)

>One other suggestion, this debug output is level 5 (-x5) or so. if you are
>having problems with uucp use -x9 PLEASE!!!! The output becomes much more
>meaningful!!!

Ah, but it *was* -x9 output.  I was wishing it were "much more meaningful."

>uucico
>has a sort of brain-damaged way it figues out your logname. when login takes
>the logname that is entered, it assigns you a user id number. uucico then
>takes  that user id number and scans /etc/passwd for the first entry that
>matches that user id. more than likely, uucpadm is before nuucp in your
>passwd file. you can either edit /etc/passwd or add uucp to your USERFILE.

This isn't exactly the case I had, but it pointed me in the right direction.
The machines that dial me are given unique login names; they don't come in
as "uucp" or nuucp."  With other versions of uucp I've used (all BSD
derivatives), I recall that that worked just fine without having to make
any special changes to USERFILE.  What I ended up doing was making
entries in USERFILE like:
	Uremote1,sitename1 /usr/spool/uucppublic
	Uremote2,sitename2 /usr/spool/uucppublic

Thanks for the clue.  Everyone's talking now.
--
Mike Peterson		        	work: [under construction]
Micro Technology, Inc.			home: ...!hacgate.hac.com!taqwa!mkp
1620 Miraloma Ave., Placentia, CA  92670