[unix-pc.general] MSDOS cross development utilities

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (03/21/89)

Does anyone know if there are any utility sets available
that will let you cross compile ( 'C' language) and generate
either MSDOS .obj or .exe files on the 3b1?

   I'm trying to develop a large project on a 386 clone, but
I'm maintaining the files on the 3b1.  The editor and source
code control facilities are much better here, and the clone
is tied up from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm running the application.
Since we all know the PC is not multi-tasking, that means no
development on it during those hours.

    Currently, I'm editing files on the 3b1, compiling to check
for syntax errors, then transferring them to the clone and using
Borland's turbo-C for compile and debug.  I'd rather do the
whole process here, then just transfer the .exe file.

    Anyone know of such a package (either commercial or PD)?
    Thanks.
--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (03/22/89)

I was going to email this, but...
In article <182@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
[Description of having to develop on two machines at once, one a
MessyDos box, the other a 3b1.]

>    Currently, I'm editing files on the 3b1, compiling to check
>for syntax errors, then transferring them to the clone and using
>Borland's turbo-C for compile and debug.  I'd rather do the
>whole process here, then just transfer the .exe file.

Sorry to hit you with this, but I think you're stuck.  My old company (RIP)
had 3b1s, Motorola S8000's, AT's and 3b2's, all (supposedly) supporting
our product.

A couple of hints:

Get a compiler for each machine that you know is reliable.  We used
Microsoft 5.0 and the stock Unix compilers.  We were wishing heavily
for Ansi to hit, but...

If the application has to run on the 3b1 and the 386, let teh #ifdef become
your way to salvation.  Otherwise, lint all the 3b1 code and cross
your fingers.

>    Anyone know of such a package (either commercial or PD)?
>    Thanks.

There is a product like this for OS9 and Unix, I'm sure that helps you
a ton. :-)

In article <182@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>Does anyone know if there are any utility sets available
>that will let you cross compile ( 'C' language) and generate
>either MSDOS .obj or .exe files on the 3b1?

I know you were asking for a software solution and perhaps this
isn't even available anymore, but at one time you could get:
(a) An "Msdos" board that effectively puts a PC in the 3B1, or
(b) A Starlan network board with DOS server software that would
    let you share files with client PC's - this would let you
    compile the same source from either machine.

Les Mikesell

pfales@ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) (03/27/89)

In article <182@dms3b1.UUCP>, dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
> Does anyone know if there are any utility sets available
> that will let you cross compile ( 'C' language) and generate
> either MSDOS .obj or .exe files on the 3b1?

Have you thought about using the DOS-73 board.  I don't remember the
exact details, but I had a similar situation a while back.  If
you type DOS-73.sh, you get an MS-DOS shell, but if you type

DOS-73.sh <file name>

the characters from the file are fed to DOS, and whatever command you
run (probably a .BAT file)  can finish up with an exitdos command.
The only problem with this is there is that only a limited number of
characters can be sent to dos this way.  I don't remember how many, but
it was not more than one or two commands.  But I was able to automate
the whole development process, (including make) to create the dos files.
--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza