[unix-pc.general] Should I buy a 7300?

rcj@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) (04/01/89)

With all of these Unix PC's floating around and selling for
ridiculous prices like $650 for a 20meg system with Unix, I
have been giving serious thought about getting one.  Right now, I
have a PC-AT compatible, and my family needs to buy another computer
(for my mother...She's using an Apple //e now.  Ack.) and it looks
like were going to go with a cheap PC.  My question is:  Should
I get a 7300 and give my mother my AT?  Is the DOS board availible
for the 7300 any good?  Will it run everything, and run it at
10Mhz?  Will I have ANY compatiblity problems?  How much does it
cost?

Also:  Does anyone know any _REPUTABLE_ houses that sell new 7300's
inexpensively(with UNIX)?  Another also:  How much would it cost to
upgrade from 20megs to 40 or more?  And finally, any general observations
about the 7300 (Gee...Might I get some slightly biased answers? ;-).

Anyways, thanks in advance to any and all who respond and take me out of
my quest....

--
|  Robert C. Johnson                |  "Minds are like parachutes.       |
|   rcj@killer.dallas.tx.us         |   They only function when they are |

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (04/03/89)

In article <7719@killer.Dallas.TX.US> rcj@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
[...]
>like were going to go with a cheap PC.  My question is:  Should
>I get a 7300 and give my mother my AT?  Is the DOS board availible
>for the 7300 any good?  Will it run everything, and run it at
>10Mhz?  Will I have ANY compatiblity problems?  How much does it
>cost?

Look, if you want an IBM clone, buy an IBM clone.  If you want a UNIX
workstation, buy a 3b1/7300.  I have a DOS board, and it's useful for
insuring that a program compiles under dos, but that's about it.
(Anyway, the card is real hercules compatible, not "write to screen
memory" hercules compatible, so you can only use text oriented material.)

(Why am I so testy this morning? :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend |          Skate UNIX or die, segmented memory suckers!
 uunet!sugar!flatline!erict