[unix-pc.general] fan mail

julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) (04/07/89)

    Here  in  Los Angeles we are  currently going through  a heat
wave.  It is in the hundreds during  the day and plummets  to the
low  seventies  at night.  My  3b1 lives  with me  in  an ancient
apartment with no air conditioning so we both swelter together. I
do  not have enough power  available (25 Amps 110V total) to slap
in a small air conditioner.

    The other evening I cam home and sat at the console, suddenly
the  cooling  fan revs suddenly  dropped. I thought  the  fan was
about  to stop and my heart damn nearly  did. That is how I found
out that the Unix-pc has a 2 speed fan. Regular noisy for regular
cooling and super noisy for super cooling.

    This  was  a revelation.  I  mailed Jim Gottlieb  (jim@denwa)
about this and he told me that yes  indeed, there was a two speed
fan and it was controlled by a thermistor, possibly on the  Power
Supply board.

    Recently  on  this  group there  has  been  discussion  about
ripping out the installed DC fan and inserting an AC fan from Rat
Shack. Obviously unless modifications were made, any change to an
AC fan would loose the 2 speed feature. It could be done, I could
do  it  with a bit of fiddling  -  schematics would help  though.
Obviously  for a margin of safety, as a single speed fan,  the AC
fan at single speed would have to shift as much air as the DC fan
at   high  speed.  Unless   your  computer  lives   in  a  luxury
airconditioned room. Beware of airconditioned offices, they often
kill the air over those hot August weekends to save energy.

    So  it would appear that  some care should be  taken over the
cooling  fan thing. This brings  me to a concern that  I have had
since  I  first  turned on  my  3b1.  I think it  runs  too warm.
Whenever I put my hand behind the machine I feel warm air  coming
out  of the fan vent, no  matter what speed the fan is running at
or  whatever the room temperature. Yes my un-airconditioned  dump
also has no heat and it  gets to the mid forties in the winter. I
believe as far as electronic equipment is concerned,  exhaust air
should  not  be warmer to the  touch  than ambient and  heatsinks
should never get uncomfortably warm. The reason for my heresy  is
that  heat kills electronic  components - sooner  or later. So if
you hate fixing stuff, or just having it die, keep it cool.

    I  am  seriously  considering  throwing  another fan  (AC) in
series with my installed DC fan, just to increase the airflow. If
I can get an AC fan that really pushes wind, I will remove the DC
fan  and replace it with the super AC fan.  This will also remove
some  of the load from the  Power Supply which will  further help
with cooling - assuming the fan is powered by the Power Supply.

    As far as I know, there  is no current source for replacement
power supplies. This makes keeping the thing cool and alive for a
long  time all the more important. Also when power  supplies die,
they  have  a nasty habit of  doing  it in a vindictive  way  and
taking expensive boards with them.

    Any thoughts and suggestions  re cooling and power greatfully
received. If you have messed with the fan, I certainly would like
to hear of successes and failures, tips and traps.

Yours

--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo    ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
n6are@wb6ymh (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

alex@wolf.umbc.edu (Alex Crain) (04/08/89)

In article <157@bongo.UUCP>, julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) writes:

>     I  am  seriously  considering  throwing  another fan  (AC) in
> series with my installed DC fan, just to increase the airflow. If
> I can get an AC fan that really pushes wind, I will remove the DC
> fan  and replace it with the super AC fan.  This will also remove
> some  of the load from the  Power Supply which will  further help
> with cooling - assuming the fan is powered by the Power Supply.

	I replaced my DC fan with the biggest AC fan that would fit in
the machine. It makes a fair bit of noise,but I got used to it. It probably
costs me money (more current) but It presumably takes a load off the
power supply, and I haven't found the machine to be warm to the touch
since. Also the air comming out the back went from moderatly warm to
cool.

	I also got the feeling that AC fans are more reliable then the
stock DC ones, judging from the postings here. My AC fan has been in
service for about a year without a blink.

					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
Univ Md Baltimore County		umbc3.umbc.edu!nerwin!alex

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (04/08/89)

In article <157@bongo.UUCP> julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) writes:

>		    This brings  me to a concern that  I have had
>since  I  first  turned on  my  3b1.  I think it  runs  too warm.

>I believe as far as electronic equipment is concerned, exhaust air
>should not be warmer to the touch than ambient and heatsinks
>should never get uncomfortably warm.

Depends on the equipment: you could bake a potato (or a whole chicken)
on the exhaust heat from some of the radio or TV transmitting tubes I
used to work around.  Now, you're not pumping kilowatts thru this
little box, but you're consuming, say 150 to 200 watts, and *every
bit* (well, at least 99%) of this power ends up as heat, and gets
blown out the back.  (Not true, you say?  Where do you think that
energy goes!)  So "warm" is about right, for the exhaust air--the
waste heat has to go somewhere.  The other major energy consumer/heat
producer is the flyback transistor(s) in the monitor, which should
also feel warm.  About the same as a TV...

Heat sinks can run pretty hot--an old rule of thumb from my technician
days was to moisten a finger (the thumb was already burnt) and give
the sink a quick touch--if you get sizzle, things are too hot, but
fast evaporation is ok.  But beware of heatsinks in switcher supplies:
some of them may be "hot" in more ways than one!

> . . .  heat kills electronic  components - sooner  or later. So if
>you hate fixing stuff, or just having it die, keep it cool.

Absolutely correct, but what's hot to you may be cool to an SCR that's
rated to dissipate heat most effectively while running at 70 C.

>If I can get an AC fan that really pushes wind, I will remove the DC
>fan  and replace it with the super AC fan.  This will also remove
>some  of the load from the  Power Supply which will  further help
>with cooling - assuming the fan is powered by the Power Supply.

I think even the cheap R.S. AC fans are rated at more CFM than the
stock DC fans can give on "high"=12v.  On low the stock fan(s) are fed
about 9-10 V at 100 to 150 ma.  If you're really worried, you might
put a *pair* of AC fans in, acting as exhaust fans, in both fan slots.
(In "parallel"-- not in series!)

--
Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) (04/09/89)

In article <1886@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
> In article <157@bongo.UUCP> julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) writes:
>
> >If I can get an AC fan that really pushes wind, I will remove the DC
> >fan  and replace it with the super AC fan.
>             deleted stuff
>                                 If you're really worried, you might
> put a *pair* of AC fans in, acting as exhaust fans, in both fan slots.
> (In "parallel"-- not in series!)
>
> --
> Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
> motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

    This appears to be a good idea. One of the first things that occured to
me was to take the piece of foam rubber out of the fan slot on the left
hand side of the machine and slap in another fan. Obviously, two fans would
be twice as good. I mentioned this simple but brilliant mod to Gary Sanders
n8emr@gws and he said "No". Here was his story. The early systems were
shipped with two fans, but that caused air stagnation and hard disks were
overheating and failing all over the place. So there is a reason you only
get one fan, it is not because AT&T were too cheap to spring for a second
fan. So judging from that and what I have read in this group, the tip seems
to be: Go for a hefty AC fan and put up with the noise. Any suggestions for
model numbers and sources? Or are all the 3b1 AC fans swapmeet specials.

--

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (04/10/89)

In article <161@bongo.UUCP> julian@bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) writes:
> [ regarding adding a second fan ]
>    This appears to be a good idea. One of the first things that occured to
>me was to take the piece of foam rubber out of the fan slot on the left
>hand side of the machine and slap in another fan. Obviously, two fans would
>be twice as good. I mentioned this simple but brilliant mod to Gary Sanders
>n8emr@gws and he said "No". Here was his story. The early systems were
>shipped with two fans, but that caused air stagnation and hard disks were
>overheating and failing all over the place. So there is a reason you only
>get one fan, it is not because AT&T were too cheap to spring for a second
>fan. So judging from that and what I have read in this group, the tip seems
>to be: Go for a hefty AC fan and put up with the noise.

This sounds like good advice, although I've been running for a year
and a half with a 2 fan 3b1 with the 80 meg mimiscribe, and no
problems.  But then I pulled the "electrostatic shield" off the hard
disk (along with the row of tin "fingers" in the back, and the monitor
"ground finger"--it's still grounded thru the cable shield), so air
can circulate around it a bit more freely.  Warning: doing that may
make the machine put out more RF noise, although mine shared a living
room with a color tv, fm "wireless headphone" and various radios, with
minimal effect.  A US robotics modem I had put out far more RF noise.

Actually, my motive was not so much cooling as (acoustic) noise: I'm
feeding a pair of DC fans at reduced voltage, which draw a bit more
air than a single DC fan, and only a little more current.  Because
each fan spins slower, the total noise is quite a bit less.  The
Miniscribe also had an annoying "ringing"--a resonance that I got rid
of this by gluing a couple of quarters to the top of the case.

A negative side effect of drawing more air thru the machine is that if
you leave the keyboard off the shelf, more air gets sucked in thru the
floppy drive, and it (or the whole machine, for that matter) can get
gummed up with dust fuzzies faster.

I did a number of experiments with different fan configurations,
letting the machine run for a couple of hours each time, and then
quickly popping it apart, to see if anything was getting too hot.  I
even tried switching the fans around to blow air INTO the machine, so
that I could filter air being sucked IN thru the fan grates.  (This
worked, but not all that well, and blew warm air on your fingers...
possibly a plus for typing, if your room gets a cold as you said :-)

Probably the most important "cooling hint" for ANY user: DON'T BLOCK
THE LITTLE GRILLE OVER THE POWER SUPPLY (below the monitor, on the
right hand side).  A sheet of paper laid here can get sucked down
aginst the grill, blocking a direct airflow to all those hot little
cooling fins on top of your power supply.

--

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (04/10/89)

writes:

|>I think even the cheap R.S. AC fans are rated at more CFM than the
|>stock DC fans can give on "high"=12v.  On low the stock fan(s) are fed
|>about 9-10 V at 100 to 150 ma.  If you're really worried, you might
|>put a *pair* of AC fans in, acting as exhaust fans, in both fan slots.
|>(In "parallel"-- not in series!)

I wouldn't put in *two* fans.  I had this configuration with the DC fans,
before I switched to the one AC fan.  The two DC fans only put more of
a drain on the 12VDC supply, and it dragged more dust through my machine.
The left side of the full height "3B1" UNIX pc doesn't get that hot,
and pulling more dust through the floppy only makes for more problems.
The older PC7300's did have two fans, but they also had additional
holes to pull air through that smaller case.

-Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576