[net.dcom] uucp for V6?

carl@otto.UUCP (Carl Shapiro) (05/15/86)

It's embarrassing to admit, but we still have a couple of PDP-11's running
version 6.  If anyone can point me to a uucp that might run under V6, I
would be most grateful.

    Carl Shapiro
    {ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!carl

cak@purdue.UUCP (Christopher A. Kent) (05/21/86)

Phew. I had one many years ago, while I was still at U of Cincinnati.
The folks at Duke, or BRL, I'm not sure, had developed a v7 compatability
library and back-ported the v7 c compiler. Maybe one of those folks out
there still has a copy on a tape somewhere; I know I don't have access
any more. But, at least, be comforted in knowing that it did exist
at one point, and perhaps someone can still dig it up for you.

chris

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (05/23/86)

In article <594@mordred.purdue.UUCP> cak@purdue.UUCP (Christopher A. Kent) writes:
>Phew. I had one many years ago, while I was still at U of Cincinnati.
>The folks at Duke, or BRL, I'm not sure, had developed a v7 compatability
>library and back-ported the v7 c compiler. Maybe one of those folks out
>there still has a copy on a tape somewhere; I know I don't have access
>any more. But, at least, be comforted in knowing that it did exist
>at one point, and perhaps someone can still dig it up for you.
>
>chris

	I didn't see the original article, so I don't know exactly what is
being asked. However, we have both the V7 C compiler and UUCP running on a PWB
kernel, which will almost certainly work on a V6 kernel. Let me know...

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/24/86)

> Phew. I had one many years ago, while I was still at U of Cincinnati.
> The folks at Duke, or BRL, I'm not sure, had developed a v7 compatability
> library and back-ported the v7 c compiler. Maybe one of those folks out
> there still has a copy on a tape somewhere; I know I don't have access
> any more. But, at least, be comforted in knowing that it did exist
> at one point, and perhaps someone can still dig it up for you.

Duke converted to v7 relatively early, so the emulation library was probably
done at BRL.  Back in the mists of time, I retrofitted uucp to v6 when I
was at UNC (to talk with Duke), but I didn't keep a copy.  Apart from the
user-level stuff, you'll have to hack the kernel -- on v6, raw mode tty is
*not* an 8-bit data path; it still uses 0xFF as a delimiter in places (at
least two, as I recall, but it's been at least N years, and maybe more).
There may have been stuff about the parity bit, and about sending ^D characters
out; I recall having to change getty and write to deal with the sudden lack
of parity.  (As you can see, adding uucp to a v6 system doesn't conserve
parity.  But that law of physics has been repealed anyway.)

		--Steve Bellovin

> ... Apart from the
> user-level stuff, you'll have to hack the kernel -- on v6, raw mode tty is
> *not* an 8-bit data path...

You will also have to hack the kernel elsewhere unless you have a late V6
with the alarm() system call, which uucp uses extensively.  If sleep() is
in chapter 2 of the manual, and alarm isn't, then you're going to have to
implement alarm before you can run uucp.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology