[unix-pc.general] editing /etc/inittab

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (06/11/89)

From lenny's README that he packaged with his fsck/rc neato package.
>(yes, you can edit /etc/inittab carefully).

What's the problem with editing /etc/inittab?  I've done this on
a variety of UNIX systems for hte past couple of years.  Usually
it's when I'm setting up terminals or logins...

Yes, I see the big warning at the top of /etc/inittab.  But when
kermit hangs, and I have to init q to restore things, I usually
have to change /etc/inittab as well.  (Am I doing this the hard
way?)

--
Grep sed "awk! man cut grep, edit banner false!  get help!"  Man disable
grep, split banner, join prof admin.  Grep mount eqn, find path.  Grep

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (06/11/89)

In article <724@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>From lenny's README that he packaged with his fsck/rc neato package.
>>(yes, you can edit /etc/inittab carefully).
>
>What's the problem with editing /etc/inittab?  I've done this on
>a variety of UNIX systems for hte past couple of years.  Usually
>it's when I'm setting up terminals or logins...

Because, on the 3b1, your friendly phone manager, et.al., are just
thrilled as punch that they can edit /etc/inittab whenever they feel
like it, so they do.  It's actually a moderadely important part of
using the OBM.

So, editing /etc/inittab is perfectly fine, but if you install or
change something through the "normal" procedures, don't be entirely
surprised if you notice something has changed...

--
________Robert J. Granvin________   INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____   CONFUSED: rjg%sialis.mn.org@shamash.cdc.com

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (06/11/89)

In article <724@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

> From lenny's README that he packaged with his fsck/rc neato package.
> >(yes, you can edit /etc/inittab carefully).
>
> What's the problem with editing /etc/inittab?  I've done this on
> a variety of UNIX systems for hte past couple of years...

I recently had an experience where I carelessly made a change to /etc/inittab
that resulted in several hours of trying to figure out why the phone manager
display ("VOICE 1:IDLE  DATA2:xxx"-where xxx is filled in by Lenny's phdaemon)
had disappeared.  (No, I don't use the phone manager, but I do like the display,
as it gives phdaemon a place to hang its hat.)  What happened is that I changed

:ph1:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 ph1 1200

ph1:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 ph1 1200

(no leading space), rather than to

 ph1:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 ph1 1200

thinking to restart uugetty, which I had manually disabled while testing an
external modem on the serial port.  Even rebooting didn't help.  I assume
that the phone manager figured it wasn't wanted, since there was no device
for it to handle, so it just didn't bother starting up.
--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (06/18/89)

In article <724@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>From lenny's README that he packaged with his fsck/rc neato package.
|>>(yes, you can edit /etc/inittab carefully).
|>
|>What's the problem with editing /etc/inittab?  I've done this on
|>a variety of UNIX systems for hte past couple of years.  Usually
|>it's when I'm setting up terminals or logins...

It was a joke! :-) ...   I simply meant be careful when modifying that
file, leaving off blanks in the beginning can really confuse the UNIX pc
/etc/init process.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576