[net.news.group] new group mod.sources.pd anyone?

long@ittatc.ATC.ITT.UUCP (H. Morrow Long [Systems Center]) (06/20/85)

	Mark Seguin, Co-ordinator Computer Operations, Phillips
	Informations Systems, St. Laurent, Que., Canada
	(ittvax!bunker!philabs!micomvax!cco) has suggested that create
	a new newsgroup for the purpose of distributing our fledging
	public domain public domain Unix software catalog.  We would
	distribute the entire catalog only once in a very blue moon and
	post updates (perhaps in diff format for patch) once a month
	(or a similar interval).  We would moderate a new group called
	mod.sources.pd.   How does this sound?

--

				H. Morrow Long
				ITT-ATC Systems Center,

path = {allegra bunker ctcgrafx dcdvaxb dcdwest ucbvax!decvax duke eosp1
	ittral lbl-csam milford mit-eddie psuvax1 purdue qubix qumix
	research sii supai tmmnet twg uf-cgrl wxlvax yale}!ittvax!long

sohail@terak.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) (06/24/85)

> 	a new newsgroup for the purpose of distributing our fledging
> 	public domain public domain Unix software catalog.  We would
> 	distribute the entire catalog only once in a very blue moon and
> 	post updates (perhaps in diff format for patch) once a month
> 	(or a similar interval).  We would moderate a new group called
> 	mod.sources.pd.   How does this sound?

I think it is a great idea, It will most likely become one of the
most widely read news groups.

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!sohail
phone:	 602 998 4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/27/85)

I see no point to a new group for such a purpose.  First off, the name
is misleading--by definition ALL postings to net.sources are supposed to
be of public domain code--so having a net.source subgroup "pd" doesn't make
much sense from a linguistic sense in any case and would just
foster confusion.  Since this "public domain Unix software catalog"
would sort of be an index to net.sources in a way, I would urge
that it be distributed through mod.sources or some other existing
group.  If not, a better name is certainly in order.

--Lauren--

dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) (06/28/85)

In article <619@terak.UUCP> sohail@terak.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) writes:
>> 	a new newsgroup for the purpose of distributing our fledging
>> 	public domain public domain Unix software catalog.  We would
>> 	distribute the entire catalog only once in a very blue moon and
>> 	post updates (perhaps in diff format for patch) once a month
>> 	(or a similar interval).  We would moderate a new group called
>> 	mod.sources.pd.   How does this sound?
>>
>I think it is a great idea, It will most likely become one of the
>most widely read news groups.

Please let us have NO DISCUSSION of this.  Just DO IT, someone out there!

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/29/85)

User dww@stl recommends:

"Please no discussion of [creating net.sources.pd] someone just do it."

---

I recommend that site "stl" be removed from the net.  Please,
no discussion of this, someone just do it!

Get serious folks.  EVERY newsgroup creation deserves discussion, or
else we'll find people creating (and deleting) groups left and right
because THEY'RE SO SURE it's a good idea and they're SO SURE everyone
else will agree with them.  The point of discussing these things is
to make sure there aren't more useful alternatives and/or that the
names chosen are the most appropriate.

As I mentioned previously, I see no point in creating a separate group
for a monthly posting of such a list.  It can be posted in an existing
group.  If a separate group MUST be used, then the name should be
more carefully selected.  All material submitted to net.sources must
be public domain in any case.

--Lauren--

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (07/01/85)

In article <701@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

>As I mentioned previously, I see no point in creating a separate group
>for a monthly posting of such a list.  It can be posted in an existing
>group.  If a separate group MUST be used, then the name should be
>more carefully selected.  All material submitted to net.sources must
>be public domain in any case.

I agree with Lauren. I sometimes think that maybe mod.sources should
be for the large postings (say, oh, bigger than 1 piece)... is there
anyone there with a guideline for it?

also, is there anyone out there with some disk space willing to
catalogue {net,mod}.sources for people to get later? Someone on ARPA
with an anonymous FTP or something? Maybe this exists, but it'd be
nice to be able to get to the public domain stuff that's out there
without saving it the first time it goes by. A lot of times I wind
up saving copies of stuff I don't need just because I say "hey, if
in a few months I *do* need this, it's gonna be tough finding it..."

------------
Jordan Hayes        jordan@ucb-vax.BERKELEY.EDU
UC Berkeley                       ucbvax!jordan
+1 (415) 835-8767    37' 52.29" N 122' 15.41" W

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (07/01/85)

I agree with Lauren on this.  Use "mod.sources" for any such distribution.
We don't need a subgroup for this case.  Everything posted to the
net should be public domain, and if something isn't, it is the job
of the moderator to not post it.
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332