[unix-pc.general] I really killed lpsched *this* time. :

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (07/08/89)

I did it this time.  In an effort to change from /dev/rawlp back to
/dev/lp, I did the following:

$ su root
# su lp
$ lpshut
$ lpadmin -pEpson -v/dev/lp
$ accept Epson Parallel
$ enable Other
$ lpsched
$ ^D^D

Here's what lpstat -t gets me:

scheduler is running
system default destination: Other
members of class Parallel:
	Other
device for Other: /dev/rawlp
Other accepting requests since Jun 28 13:54
Parallel accepting requests since Jun 28 13:54
printer Other is idle.  enabled since Jun 28 13:54

However, nothing comes out the printer if I "lp file".  I can
"cat file > /dev/lp" and it works just fine.

Any tips?  (I wish that AT&T could write a decent manual entry for
lp... :-(

--
"Dope beats and lyrics -- no beepers needed."
J. Eric Townsend -- uunet!sugar!flatline!erict  || cosc5zz@george.uh.edu

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (07/11/89)

In article <814@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>I did it this time.  In an effort to change from /dev/rawlp back to
|>/dev/lp, I did the following:

... [ setting up the spooler again left out ] ...
|>However, nothing comes out the printer if I "lp file".  I can
|>"cat file > /dev/lp" and it works just fine.
|>
|>Any tips?  (I wish that AT&T could write a decent manual entry for
|>lp... :-(

Have you tried this?   cat file | lp ....

If this works, most likely the file you are trying to print with "lp file"
isn't readable by world.   Trying making the file readable... or use the
"-x" option to lp.

	-x  Display error message if print job is not successful.
	    Display id if print job is successful.  Note that lp(1)
	    is silent by default.

$ lp -x file
lp: request not accepted

Most likely not readable by world ...

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

madcat@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Marty Donaldson) (07/11/89)

From article <739@icus.islp.ny.us>, by lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano):
> cat file | lp
> If this works, most likely the file you are trying to print with "lp file"
> isn't readable by world.
>
> -Lenny

Redirecting the file into "lp" will get around the permissions problem also.

$ lp <file

	Marty

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (07/11/89)

Fyi, I've fixed the problem...

In article <739@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <814@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>|>I did it this time.  In an effort to change from /dev/rawlp back to
>|>/dev/lp, I did the following:
>Have you tried this?   cat file | lp ....

Yep, it worked.

>If this works, most likely the file you are trying to print with "lp file"
>isn't readable by world.

Nope, I already checked that.  The problem was:  (tah-dah)

From: uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!john (John Canning)

>Eric - either enable or accept is owned by lp, but needs to be owned
>by root.  This is a feature that was introduced by AT&T in 3.5.  From
>the looks of it, accept worked fine, but enable did not.  So:
>
>	$ su
>	# chown root /usr/bin/enable  (or is it /usr/lib/enable?)
>	# enable Epson
>	# exit
>
>And that should fix your problem.

And it did.

--
"[Leslie Stahl was] a pussy compared to Rather." -- George Bush