[unix-pc.general] Too much cross-posting?

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/04/89)

Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. (An intuitive guess is that fully
70% of the comp.sys.att traffic that I see arriving here is cross-posted
stuff from unix-pc.*).

I know there has been some discussion of this in the past - why has it been
decided to leave the unix-pc group a non-standard group not to be carried
routinely in the standard feed? Who benefits - and how?

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!{bbh|postmaster|sysadmin}
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR  USA 97035
MOTD:   "Vote NO!"

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (07/05/89)

In article <674@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
|>Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
|>percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
|>When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
|>myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. (An intuitive guess is that fully
|>70% of the comp.sys.att traffic that I see arriving here is cross-posted
|>stuff from unix-pc.*).

I have unix-pc.* first also in my .newsrc file.  With rn compiled with
the DOXREFS option turned on, you shouldn't have this problem.   If the
article was READ, JUNKED, KILLED, etc.. in a previous group, and it is
properly cross-posted to another (later group), you will not see it there.
Of course if you leave it marked as unread, you'll have no choice in
seeing it again later (if it is cross-posted).

I suggest recompiling rn, that should save your "n" key...

|>I know there has been some discussion of this in the past - why has it been
|>decided to leave the unix-pc group a non-standard group not to be carried
|>routinely in the standard feed? Who benefits - and how?

unix-pc distribution is a very specific distribution, as you already know ...
It is being carried by almost any large "backbone" (uunet, rutgers, att, etc..)
site.  Many other nodes also carry it.  For those who don't get it, and want
it, they should talk to their news feeds (most likely they can get it
if they try...)   I've always been willing to feed those people who
have Trailblazers (call me at my office 516-589-7930, see network maps for
node alps ...), and I'm sure others would be willing to volunteer feeding
this small amount off traffic unix-pc.* generates.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (07/05/89)

In article <674@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes
	(not necessarily in the following order):

> ...why has it been decided to leave the unix-pc group a non-standard group
> not to be carried routinely in the standard feed? Who benefits - and how?

Well, I won't offer any justification for the two groups, except to offer
the explanation that comp.sys.att is intended for *all* varieties of machines
manufactured and sold by AT&T (including 3Bx, 6836, etc.), whereas the unix-pc
newsgroup is solely for the UNIXpc (7300 / 3B1).  I suspect that, due to the
limited number of folks out there who have the UNIXpc relative to other types
of computers, many, if not most, backbone sites don't consider it worth their
while (read phone costs and disk space) to carry unix-pc.* newsgroups.

> Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
> percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
> When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
> myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key...

Well, I don't think cross-posting is inherently a bad thing, since (at least
under UNIX implementations of the network news software) cross-postings are
implemented by means of links, so no extra disk space is utilized.  The
benefits of cross-postings include the fact that they can achieve a wider
distribution for certain articles whose subject matter straddle the categ-
ories defined by existing newsgroups.

I'd say that, if you're having to use the 'n' key to avoid re-reading articles,
your news-reading software needs to be tweaked to recognize the fact that a
given article has already been read.  I recall that when I first installed rn
on my machine (10/87), I had to make some slight modifications to the code to
get cross-postings to be dealt with correctly.  Now that I look at the code
again, it seems my problem had to do with the processing of the "Xref" line
in message headers.  For some reason, my site name was, at that time - at
least, not being placed on Xref lines, so I ifdef'd out the code starting
at line 402 in bits.c:

    #if 0
            if (strNE(tmpbuf,inews_site)) {
    #ifdef DEBUGGING
            if (debug)
                printf("Xref not from %s--ignoring\n",inews_site) FLUSH;
    #endif

I dunno if that's your problem, but the point is that the news reader should
mark messages as read the first time they're encountered in any newsgroup,
so that you'll not be bothered with them a second time when you're reading
other newsgroups to which such articles have been cross-posted.

Good luck!
--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) (07/06/89)

In article <674@whizz.uucp>, bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
> Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
> percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
> When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
> myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. (An intuitive guess is that fully
> 70% of the comp.sys.att traffic that I see arriving here is cross-posted
> stuff from unix-pc.*).
>
> I know there has been some discussion of this in the past - why has it been
> decided to leave the unix-pc group a non-standard group not to be carried
> routinely in the standard feed? Who benefits - and how?

Bud:
	The reason you have to pour over so many unix-pc postings is
that these groups are poorly distributed and in order to get to many of
us, the posters are kind enough to cross post.  In fact, I can't post
except through comp.sys.att.

	I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group
is so difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get
it here.  Assuredly, someone in the Denver area does receive it
since 'boulder' is a backbone site.

	The system administrator at 'scicom' informed me a couple of
months ago that he had found a source for it.  I know he is trying to
help me but there seems to be an aversion of some sort elsewhere to
providing full distribution.  As yet, I haven't received anything which
has not been cross posted.  Last week, I sent out a request on
'unix-pc.test' for anyone to respond if they received the message.
So far there have been no responses.  My guess is that it never got onto
the net.

	The result is that people like you, who have no interest in the
unix-pc, but are interested in other discussions on comp.sys.att have to
grope through our activities.

	I don't know why the distribution system falls down when the
administrators need only add 'unix-pc,' to the '/usr/lib/news/sys' file.
Surely this is not a heavy load when they do forward so many "junk" groups.

	I have been wondering about suggesting that the group names be
changed so that it starts with 'comp.xxxx'.  Since this is already an
entry in the '/usr/lib/news/sys' file, we could all benefit.  Perhaps even
some of our European friends could then join in on the discussions.
That is, if the full 'comp.' distribution is carried over there.

	Next time I'll really get on my soap-box. :-)
--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780

woods@eci386.UUCP (07/07/89)

In article <240@gnosys.UUCP> gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> In article <674@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes
> 	(not necessarily in the following order):
> > Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
> > percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
> > When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
> > myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key...
>
> Well, I don't think cross-posting is inherently a bad thing, since (at least
> under UNIX implementations of the network news software) cross-postings are
> implemented by means of links, so no extra disk space is utilized.  The
> benefits of cross-postings include the fact that they can achieve a wider
> distribution for certain articles whose subject matter straddle the categ-
> ories defined by existing newsgroups.

That's not the point!  Since rn doesn't go get the message id's
for the articles you have read when it starts, assuming it could,
you can easily end up re-reading things if you don't have the
luxury of being able to leave one rn running for the entire day.
I often read groups several at a time, then do other things.  Rn
simply cannot do Xref matching when you start and stop it between
groups, and I don't think it should either!

I don't see how wider distribution of unix-pc stuff will help, when
most of those who are interested already get the unix-pc groups, and
those who don't should.  It only serves to over-clutter comp.sys.att
with a real mess of stuff which most comp.sys.att only readers don't
want to see.  (I read both groups!)  Cross-posting *_IS_* inherently
bad when it clutters up other groups.  That's why we have groups in
the first place.

Perhaps unix-pc.general should be renamed comp.sys.att.unix-pc, but
remain on the "alternate newsgroups" list.  This might help prevent
some of the useless clutter.

PLEASE do not cross-post Unix PC related articles to comp.sys.att!
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/08/89)

In article <1989Jul7.052540.7258@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:

|That's not the point!  Since rn doesn't go get the message id's
|for the articles you have read when it starts, assuming it could,
|you can easily end up re-reading things if you don't have the
|luxury of being able to leave one rn running for the entire day.
|I often read groups several at a time, then do other things.  Rn
|simply cannot do Xref matching when you start and stop it between
|groups, and I don't think it should either!

The version of rn I use does better than that.  For each article read,
and for each Xref matched, it updates my .newsrc for the xref-ed
newsgroups.  When I get to those groups, the already seen articles
don't show up -- and this lasts over quitting and restarting rn.  It
even marks articles in unsubscribed newsgroups, so if I resubscribe I
still don't see them again.

Sample .newsrc line--
misc.consumers! 1-16426,16524,16532,16539,16613,16628,16631,16642,16646,16663,16669,16679,16687,16696

Three exceptions to this eminently useful feature:

  The c[atch-up] command does not affect .newsrc, so articles passed in
  this way can yet be seen.  A slower alternative which does get rid of
  the articles in all their incarnations is "/^/j".

  The #*@&!'s who post articles individually to N newsgroups.  Of
  course, no Xref is generated, so I can't avoid seeing the articles
  multiple times.

  Subscribing to a new group:  All articles are unread -- rn doesn't try
  to go back and see what may have been previously seen.

I think we are running rn 2.11.
	/JBL
=
UUCP:     levin@bbn.com (new) or {backbone}!bbn!levin (old)
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com       		POTS: (617) 873-3463
   "Earn more sessions by sleeving."

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/08/89)

In article <42398@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM I screwed up:
|I think we are running rn 2.11.

Actually, the 'v' commands gives
  @(#)$Header: rn.c,v 4.3.1.4 85/09/10 11:05:13 lwall Exp $

=

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (07/08/89)

In article <171@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group is so
>difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get it here.

I can't answer this question, but to the best of my knowledge, many/all unix-pc
sites are willing to establish connections.  I set up two extra connections
locally just to provide extra distribution for unix-pc.*.  I also mail the
contents of most of the unix-pc groups to sites that can not receive the
newsgroups, and have been doing this for well over a year.

At any rate, I am still willing to provide the groups via email, and am also
willing to provide UUCP connections to any site that is either local or is
willing to dial in.  I have a Trailblazer+ and calculated that for the about
15 days of unix-pc.* in my /usr/spool/news (550K) it would take a little over
11 minutes of phone time to transfer the whole pile.  So, for just a few $$ a
month, sites anywhere in the country could pick it up; it's even cheaper than
UUNET :-)
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott@zorch.UU.NET (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213    |Send mail to fusion-request@zorch.UU.NET

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (07/08/89)

[And yes, I see that that the followup-to is set to unix-pc.general,
which I will not circumvent, even though I think this is a topic that
really DOES merit the views of the comp.sys.att readers as well.
Bleah.]

>I don't see how wider distribution of unix-pc stuff will help, when
>most of those who are interested already get the unix-pc groups, and
>those who don't should.

I'm not sure this is a valid statement.  It's too basic.  For years,
I've seen a lot of "I don't get unix-pc.*" _along_with_ "I CAN'T get
unix-pc.*".  Those that don't get it can get it if they knew how.
Maybe.  It's not a clean cut one way or another type of situation.

>with a real mess of stuff which most comp.sys.att only readers don't
>want to see.  (I read both groups!)  Cross-posting *_IS_* inherently
>bad when it clutters up other groups.  That's why we have groups in
>the first place.

And unix-pc.*, not carried in the main stream news groups, isn't
solving the problem apparently.

>Perhaps unix-pc.general should be renamed comp.sys.att.unix-pc, but
>remain on the "alternate newsgroups" list.  This might help prevent
>some of the useless clutter.

Crossposting would still likely occur, but at least some of it would
move to comp.sys.att.unix-pc.  Of course, we should all realize that
not all of it would...

>PLEASE do not cross-post Unix PC related articles to comp.sys.att!

Sigh.  This continual perennial argument, as well as the crossposting
that always inspires it, will continue until the end of time until
somehow it is solved.

It's not at all fair to ask "don't crosspost UnixPC articles" when so
many people, for whatever reason (in or out of their control) can't
get unix-pc.*

Neither is it "efficient" to post everything to both realms.

So, what's the solution?  Everyone just quiet down and accept reality,
or create a unix-pc off of comp.sys.att to satisfy those that just
don't care (Which I also think is unfortunate, because the information
provided by and to UnixPC owners/users is also of value to the
"others".  (UnixPC people are not lepers, either.))

When it comes to software, many of the issues are of global nature.
When it comes to hardware, that's a different issue, but that also
applies to 3b2, 6386, 3b15 ... (ad infinitum).  One hopes those issues
could be considered at posting time...

--
________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____          BITNET: rjg%sialis.mn.org@cs.umn.edu

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/09/89)

In article <171@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>In article <674@whizz.uucp>, I wrote:
>> Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
>> percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
>> When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
>> myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. (An intuitive guess is that fully
>> 70% of the comp.sys.att traffic that I see arriving here is cross-posted
>> stuff from unix-pc.*).

I was being most conservative in stating 70%.

>	The reason you have to pour over so many unix-pc postings is
>that these groups are poorly distributed and in order to get to many of
>us, the posters are kind enough to cross post.  In fact, I can't post
>except through comp.sys.att.

That was the main point - alot of people CANNOT GET the unix-pc groups in their
local area. Having to set up a special feed in order to get it is plain damn
nonsense when it constitutes the majority volume of another group (att) that
is routinely carried as a standard feed. Likewise, some people CANNOT POST to
the unix-pc groups, having only comp.sys.att provided locally.

For example, I have two feeds for unix-pc groups: one of them gets his by a
direct connection to *California*, the other by a connection to a machine in
*Texas* (if we haven't cross-fed to him already).

We are, please observe, in *******Oregon*********!! (For those of you from the
East Coast, you may want to drag out your Hammond's in order to understand just
what kind of distances are involved here: If you happen to live in the
D.C. area, for example, this would be about comparable to calling Chicago or
Texas, respectively, from there).

>	I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group
>is so difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get
>it here.  Assuredly, someone in the Denver area does receive it
>since 'boulder' is a backbone site.

I wouldn't count on it. Logic won't get you very far, based one what I've
observed.

Hey, no problem - I'll be glad to give you a feed. According to the idea we
seem to live by, long distance from Portland (Oregon) to Denver is no big
deal (about the same as routinely calling Miami to get *your* unix-pc stuff,
if you live in New York City :-).

>	The result is that people like you, who have no interest in the
>unix-pc, but are interested in other discussions on comp.sys.att have to
>grope through our activities.

Umm, well, actually, my machine is a 3B1. But the point I was making is the
same, either way: the redundancy is almost painfully absurd, generating
consequences that are wholey unnecessary.

>	I don't know why the distribution system falls down when the
>administrators need only add 'unix-pc,' to the '/usr/lib/news/sys' file.
>Surely this is not a heavy load when they do forward so many "junk" groups.

Yes - I believe that traffic level should dictate whether a group is to be
carried on the standard feed. If, for example, the unix-pc stuff were *not*
carried in the comp.sys.att group, unix-pc would be carried as a standard
feed and 'att' would be an 'alt' group, since (absent the unix-pc stuff) it
would be carrying so little traffic of it's own.

And I agree - if the choice is between talk.valspeak.bizarre and our group,
that's a no-brainer. Unless, of course, t.v.b has alot of traffic :-).

>	I have been wondering about suggesting that the group names be
>changed so that it starts with 'comp.xxxx'.  Since this is already an

Precisely. But probably too easy a solution.

>entry in the '/usr/lib/news/sys' file, we could all benefit.  Perhaps even
>some of our European friends could then join in on the discussions.
>That is, if the full 'comp.' distribution is carried over there.

When I hear people defend the current practice of treating the upc group as
an elective appendage to the net distribution, I am reminded of the old line:
"We won't get wet - I've got a raincoat!". If it isn't a problem for them, then
it simply doesn't warrant change.

Someone recently pointed out that computer-industry 'standards' are defined
not by standards-committees, but by market-share. Why shouldn't this logic
hold for defining usenet groups? Can someone summon any reasonable argument
why a group that is official should get preferential distribution even when
it generates almost no output? And unofficial groups that are weighing in
consistently with solid traffic should be ignored?

For example, my current .newsrc file gives:
	unix-pc.bugs: 1-17
	unix-pc.general: 1-1106
	unix-pc.sources: 1-108
	unix-pc.test: 1-10
	unix-pc.uucp: 1-42
	unix-pc.misc: (this one was lost for awhile :-)
	Total unix-pc: 1-1283
	comp.sys.att:  1-1393

This yields 92% potential cross-posting (not scientific, but you get the idea).
In any case, unix-pc, order of magnitude, is *as large* as comp.sys.att, even
*including* the cross-postings! That is to say that without unix-pc, little
else may remain in att, AT ALL!

I'll bet that our tiny band of trusty devotees to the Unix PC are a hell of a
lot more-active than some other groups that are mindlessly passed on across
the net every day, and won't ever create enough total volume to wad a shotgun.
                             ^^^^
I propose that there be two surviving groups, with another a casualty:

comp.sys.upc  - all unix-pc, sans other att stuff.
comp.sys.att  - give this empty artifact a quiet burial unless AT&T is willing
		to put on staffers to write stuff to post in order to keep up
		the ol' corporate image. Fact is, little else happens here.
comp.sys.misc - move any tailings of 'att' to the misc group, which itself
                isn't exactly a barn-burner. Together, they might be able to
		form a combined entity of sufficient size to propogate :-).

Wouldn't there be a certain ripe justice if the Unix PC were sticking it up
AT&T's all-too-capacious orifice, rather than vice-versa? The worm turns :-)

In article <157@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>In article <171@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>>I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group is so
>>difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get it here.
>
>I can't answer this question, but to the best of my knowledge, many/all unix-pc
>sites are willing to establish connections.  I set up two extra connections
<deleted: explanation of arrangements for possible news-feed of unix-pc groups>

Scott - and any others of you out there who so generously provide support to
other Unix PC sites who want the newsgroups and cannot get them locally:

I want to be clear in my fundamental question about this subject: why are we
setting up an ALTERNATE network? Having a Trailblazer is nice - do you think
*most* sites have that capability? Is that the price that is expected in
order to gain routine access? Does one have to buy a Magic Decoder Ring and
learn the secret handshake, also? This is starting to sound like a Mason's
meeting, not a libertarian forum for sharing of information.

Look. Either you define the validity of moving this group to the main newsfeed
based on:

	* NUMBER OF READERS, or......

	* VOLUME OF TRAFFIC

I remain unconvinced (but willing to be) that *many* of the official groups
out there in Netland would *not* qualify to be continued on *either* basis,
if you applied *either* of these criteria.

And by the same token, I'd guess that by those criteria, the unix-pc group(s)
would weigh in as far more qualified than some of the groups now routinely
carried.

In other words, the continuance of the status of this group as an off-brand,
tough-to-get service cannot *possibly* be based on similarity of treatment
to other groups that no one even questions should be in the official feed.
So what *is* the basis for this approach?

Is there something going on here that I should be reading between the lines
and have missed altogether? Should we be cross-posting not only to comp.sys.att,but also to alt.sex.s&m?

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!{bbh|postmaster|sysadmin}
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR  USA 97035
MOTD:   "Vote NO!"

In article:
	Subject: Re: Too much cross-posting?
by:
	woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods)

He states:

"	I don't see how wider distribution of unix-pc stuff will help, when
	most of those who are interested already get the unix-pc groups, and
	those who don't should.  It only serves to over-clutter comp.sys.att
	with a real mess of stuff which most comp.sys.att only readers don't
	want to see.  (I read both groups!)  Cross-posting *_IS_* inherently
	bad when it clutters up other groups.  That's why we have groups in
	the first place.

	Perhaps unix-pc.general should be renamed comp.sys.att.unix-pc, but
	remain on the "alternate newsgroups" list.  This might help prevent
	some of the useless clutter.

	PLEASE do not cross-post Unix PC related articles to comp.sys.att!
"

Bushwa!   I'll say it again: BUSHWA!

From a cursory examination of the comp.sys.att articles arriving here at
PORTAL, it's clear that about 50% are related to the UNIXPC/3B1/7300, and
the remaining 50% are divided between the 6300/6310/6312/6386 and the other
3B2 systems.

Private email I've received clearly indicates that MOST of the people who
NEED to receive the unix-pc.* groups are not receiving them, and they're
extremely thankful FOR the cross-postings to comp.sys.att from unix-pc.*

Three cases in point:

1) the WD2010 chip group buy I'm organizing.  85% of the responses arrived
   from people who ONLY saw it on comp.sys.att

2) Most (if not all) of Europe is NOT receiving unix-pc.*; my contact in
   Brussels writes that his receipt of unix-pc material is ONLY via the
   comp.sys.att newsgroup (ref. Jim Sanchez at Sytek).

3) Clearly 90% of the "Thanks!" email I received for my recent posting of the
   new s4diag UNIXPC diagnostics came from people who ONLY could get it from
   comp.sys.att.

The volume of postings to BOTH comp.sys.att and the unix-pc.* groups do NOT
warrant further discussion of restriction/polarization/etc; there simply
aren't that many articles.  I can store more than an average weeks' worth of
postings to both groups on a single 5-1/4" floppy (400Kbytes).

I personally prefer that all UNIXPC-related material be only in the unix-pc.*
newsgroups, but the reality of the situation shows that MANY users would
unduly suffer (by being left out) if we followed Greg A. Woods' suggestion.

*MY* suggestion is that ALL unix-pc.* material be cross-posted to comp.sys.att
and for people to fix their brain-damaged mail readers.  Worst case is for
someone to simply type an "n"; are the lazy readers out there THAT calorie
conscious re: burning 1/2 calorie moving one's index finger?  :-)   Sheesh,
are people that unable to cope with the vagaries of Usenet?  We're NOT talking
about cretin-JJ "Puh-LEEZE HELP ME!" postings; we're talking about postings
and responses from people who have legitimate questions, concerns and answers
about their computing investment.

Lest we forget: the UNIXPC *IS* an AT&T product.  Activity surrounding the
UNIXPC has been growing by leaps and bounds during the past 18 months, far
more so than with the 6300 family.  As an elected officer of the Northern
California AT&T Computer Users' Group, I *SEE* the evidence.

The comp.sys.att newsgroup is for the benefit of ALL users/owners/operators
of AT&T equipment, and the evidence I've seen is that over 85% of the UNIXPC
owners/users are unable to receive the unix-pc.* newsgroups.  And for those
who don't know, there are four: unix-pc.general, unix-pc.sources, unix-pc.uucp,
and unix-pc.bugs.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (07/10/89)

In article <1989Jul7.052540.7258@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> In article <240@gnosys.UUCP> gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> > In article <674@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes
> > > Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
> > > percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*
> >
> > Well, I don't think cross-posting is inherently a bad thing...
>
> That's not the point!  Since rn doesn't go get the message id's
> for the articles you have read when it starts, assuming it could,
> you can easily end up re-reading things if you don't have the
> luxury of being able to leave one rn running for the entire day.
> I often read groups several at a time, then do other things.  Rn
> simply cannot do Xref matching when you start and stop it between
> groups, and I don't think it should either!

I find myself able to enter and exit rn at will, and never find myself being
presented with a cross-posted article that I have already read in another
group from the one I am currently reading.  In fact, I just performed a little
experiment to find out whether the fact of cross-posted articles having been
read is kept track of in one's .newsrc, and find that it is - at least in the
version of rn I'm using.  The experiment was conducted by making a copy of my
.newsrc in a temp file, entering rn, reading an article in comp.sys.att that
I knew to be cross-posted to unix-pc.general, exiting rn, and diffing the temp
file against the new contents of .newsrc.  The results are conclusive:  the
article numbers for the cross-posted article were added to the list of already-
read articles in both groups.  These results are consistent with, and in fact
explain why I am able to exit and re-enter rn without having the problem you
describe.  Perhaps you need to recompile rn, as suggested by Lenny Tropiano
in his article of 5 July (Message-ID: <735@icus.islp.ny.us>, quoted without
permission :-) :

| I have unix-pc.* first also in my .newsrc file.  With rn compiled with
| the DOXREFS option turned on, you shouldn't have this problem.   If the
| article was READ, JUNKED, KILLED, etc.. in a previous group, and it is
| properly cross-posted to another (later group), you will not see it there.
| Of course if you leave it marked as unread, you'll have no choice in
| seeing it again later (if it is cross-posted).
|
| I suggest recompiling rn, that should save your "n" key...

As to the specific value of cross-postings between comp.sys.att and
unix-pc.general, I feel that it's probably the best we can do under
present circumstances, given that unix-pc.* newsgroups are not uni-
versally received, and it does seem worthwhile to include folks in
discussions of the UNIXpc who would otherwise not be able to participate.

Maybe the real solution would be to take up Greg's suggestion to create
a newsgroup under the "comp" hierarchy devoted to the UNIXpc.  Is there
someone out there willing to make a formal proposal and manage a "call-
for-vote" process?

Any comments from those not receiving unix-pc.* newsgroups?

--

john@zygot.UUCP (John Higdon) (07/10/89)

In article <688@whizz.uucp>, bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
> Look. Either you define the validity of moving this group to the main newsfeed
> based on:

What defines "main newsfeed"? After routinely reading about UNIX-PCs in
comp.sys.att, this meta-discussion of crossposting appeared. I hadn't
paid any attention the unix-pc in the newsgroups line until then.
Discovering that the unix-pc.* groups didn't appear in my active file,
I found out from scott@zorch what their names were and duly inserted
them. Voila! A short time later, unix-pc articles appear from my main
newsfeed.

This very article came in on the following path:

zygot!dlb!amdahl!apple!ames!lll-winken!pacbell!safari!whizz!bbh

Looks pretty mainstream to me. Lot of VAXEN up there; not many 3b1s.
So now, what's all this about the groups being hard-to-get?
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/10/89)

In article <171@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:

   I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group is
   so difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to
   get it here.

You're welcome to a feed of unix-pc if you're willing to call
Columbus, Ohio regularly - 1200, 2400, or TB+.  Most other unix-pc
sites are happy to offer feeds as well.  It's not that hard to come
by, you just didn't ask widely enough.

   I have been wondering about suggesting that the group names be
   changed so that it starts with 'comp.xxxx'.  Since this is already
   an entry in the '/usr/lib/news/sys' file, we could all benefit.

If you want to create new newsgroups in the standard heirarchy, you'll
need to propose them and hold a vote, as usual.  I suspect they won't
succeed, since there's already a thriving unix-pc distribution
available to everyone who wants it.  Changing distributions just to
achieve wider coverage is generally frowned upon.

In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
   ...over 85% of the UNIXPC owners/users are unable to receive the
   unix-pc.* newsgroups.

Bushwa!  They may be unwilling, but they're certainly not unable.
Anyone who would like a unix-pc feed can have one for the asking.
Drop me a line.

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/10/89)

In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Private email I've received clearly indicates that MOST of the people who
>NEED to receive the unix-pc.* groups are not receiving them, and they're
>extremely thankful FOR the cross-postings to comp.sys.att from unix-pc.*

Made necessary *ONLY* because the unix-pc group(s) do not receive standard
distribution. If they did, 100% of the people who wanted to read it(them)
would be able to do so if they were a usenet subscriber. An increase in
readership of 667%, if your estimates (below) are accurate.

THE READERSHIP IS SMALL BECAUSE THE DISTRIBUTION IS, DE FACTO, SEVERELY
RESTRICTED!!

>Three cases in point:
>
>1) the WD2010 chip group buy I'm organizing.  85% of the responses arrived
>   from people who ONLY saw it on comp.sys.att
>
>2) Most (if not all) of Europe is NOT receiving unix-pc.*; my contact in
>   Brussels writes that his receipt of unix-pc material is ONLY via the
>   comp.sys.att newsgroup (ref. Jim Sanchez at Sytek).
>
>3) Clearly 90% of the "Thanks!" email I received for my recent posting of the
>   new s4diag UNIXPC diagnostics came from people who ONLY could get it from
>   comp.sys.att.

It seems to me that you are arguing my case.

>The volume of postings to BOTH comp.sys.att and the unix-pc.* groups do NOT
>warrant further discussion of restriction/polarization/etc; there simply
>aren't that many articles.  I can store more than an average weeks' worth of
>postings to both groups on a single 5-1/4" floppy (400Kbytes).
>
>I personally prefer that all UNIXPC-related material be only in the unix-pc.*
>newsgroups, but the reality of the situation shows that MANY users would
>unduly suffer (by being left out) if we followed Greg A. Woods' suggestion.

Now wait a minute! This is self-fulling logic. Your inability to exercise this
preference rests only on the unwillingness to consider making unix-pc.* a
standard distribution. And I entirely support your preference: that was the
original point of opening this discussion.

>*MY* suggestion is that ALL unix-pc.* material be cross-posted to comp.sys.att
>and for people to fix their brain-damaged mail readers.  Worst case is for

Yes - 'rn' seems to have a problem here. The site name appears in the Xrefs
line, but still doesn't mark cross-postings as read. Any gurus out there who
can suggest how to address this condition are invited to do so. We hope to
get after this problem again in a few days - we have a busted floppy-drive
(last repaired just 3 months ago!), so will be off the air to get it fixed.

>someone to simply type an "n"; are the lazy readers out there THAT calorie
>conscious re: burning 1/2 calorie moving one's index finger?  :-)   Sheesh,
>are people that unable to cope with the vagaries of Usenet?  We're NOT talking
>about cretin-JJ "Puh-LEEZE HELP ME!" postings; we're talking about postings
>and responses from people who have legitimate questions, concerns and answers
>about their computing investment.

Presumably. But, sheesh, what bearing does this have on the main issue?

>Lest we forget: the UNIXPC *IS* an AT&T product.  Activity surrounding the

AT&T appears to be the primary force dedicated to erasing any remaining
evidence of their participation in what has gotta be one of the greatest
marketing blunders of the century.

>UNIXPC has been growing by leaps and bounds during the past 18 months, far

Right - maybe we should make it even more difficult to get! Make 'em learn
the secret handshake first, and then require them to post a bond. Set up a
committee to see how many we can blackball. Keep it elite. Right on!

>more so than with the 6300 family.  As an elected officer of the Northern
>California AT&T Computer Users' Group, I *SEE* the evidence.

When I last heard - long ago - from the local AT&T Users Group here in Portland
the decision had been made (jointly with the co-sponsor, AT&T) to drop the
3B1 users from participation, since the 3B1 wasn't a 'real' AT&T product like
all the other 3B* stuff. One of the then-elected officers, Pam Myrie, was the
one who informed me of this - herself somewhat stunned. The Bay Area is,
perhaps, the center of the universe. However, what happens there does not
invariably govern elsewhere. Indeed, very *little* of what happens there
happens anywhere *else* in the world, based on my few (delightful) visits down
there. :-)

>The comp.sys.att newsgroup is for the benefit of ALL users/owners/operators
>of AT&T equipment, and the evidence I've seen is that over 85% of the UNIXPC
>owners/users are unable to receive the unix-pc.* newsgroups. And for those

I fail to grasp the logic that says that if only 15% of the people who want to
read the group can actually do so, that the obvious remedy is to cross-post
everything to another group that everyone *can* read. Aircraft systems and
governments rely on 100% redundancy. But newsgroups? If one group captures
100% (best case) of what is carried in the other - why have both? Why does
the second group exist apart from the first? That is, AT ALL? Just get rid
of the one group and post everything to the other. Or is it intended that the
unix-pc.* group(s) are a 'private network' which is mostly available only
to people who are willing to jump thru the necessary hoops to finally get a
feed? And, dammit, I want to know when I get my Magic Decoder Ring! It should
have arrived by now, shouldn't it? Or do I have to call the Hotline?

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (07/11/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul10104424@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>   ...over 85% of the UNIXPC owners/users are unable to receive the
>   unix-pc.* newsgroups.
>
>Bushwa!  They may be unwilling, but they're certainly not unable.
>Anyone who would like a unix-pc feed can have one for the asking.
>Drop me a line.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, I will give a unix-pc.* feed
to anyone that asks.  I am even willing to pay for the phone call, provided
of course that I don't get requests from every UNIX-PC owner in the US (my
telephone budget does have a limit, albeit a very generous one).

One of the problems that many UNIX-PC owners have in regards to getting the
news is that their pc's are not connected to dedicated phone lines.  If
your pc is trying to make a data call and your wife (or husband) picks up
the phone, she is likely to get upset.  It is even worse if someone is on
the phone already when the pc tries to make a call.  Some of these problems
can be alleviated by restricting the calling times for the pc so that it
only makes calls in the middle of the night.  This does not, however, solve
the problem of being able to accept incoming calls.  I know that my wife
would be upset if the computer started answering the phone, even if it only
did it in the middle of the night.  "What if my mother has an emergency and
needs to get hold of us?"

Anyway, if you want a unix-pc.* feed and are either able to accept an
incoming call or are willing to call Rhode Island, drop me a line and we'll
set something up.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US   {rayssd,xanth,lazlo,mirror,att}!galaxia!dave

ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) (07/11/89)

In article <704@galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
|In article <BOB.89Jul10104424@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
|>In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
|>   ...over 85% of the UNIXPC owners/users are unable to receive the
|>   unix-pc.* newsgroups.
|>
|>Bushwa!  They may be unwilling, but they're certainly not unable.
|>Anyone who would like a unix-pc feed can have one for the asking.
|>Drop me a line.
|
|I have said this before and I'll say it again, I will give a unix-pc.* feed
|to anyone that asks.  I am even willing to pay for the phone call, provided
|of course that I don't get requests from every UNIX-PC owner in the US (my
|telephone budget does have a limit, albeit a very generous one).

And I will say once again also :-), I am also willing to feed any system
the unix-pc groups.  Unfortunately I have no phone budget and you will
have to call me in upstate New York.

						Cliff
--
 "I'd rather stay here with all the madmen, than perish with the sad man
 roaming free" -- David Bowie

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (07/11/89)

In article <688@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>I want to be clear in my fundamental question about this subject: why are we
>setting up an ALTERNATE network? Having a Trailblazer is nice - do you think
>*most* sites have that capability? Is that the price that is expected in
>order to gain routine access? Does one have to buy a Magic Decoder Ring and
>learn the secret handshake, also? This is starting to sound like a Mason's
>meeting, not a libertarian forum for sharing of information.

First, I guess that a little history is necessary, in order to try to answer
your question.  Per the list of alternate newsgroup heirarchies from Gene
Spafford at Purdue:

"Another such hierarchy is the "unix-pc" distribution.  This consists of
groups devoted to users of the AT&T Unix-PC.  These groups were
originated as a mailing list started by three owners of AT&T Unix PCs:
Gary Smith, David Dalton and Kathy Vincent.  As the list expanded, it
turned into a newsgroup hierarchy, and more and more sites began to
carry the groups; hundreds of sites now carry these groups."

Unix-pc.* originated at a time when all groups were net.*, mod.* and fa.*.
Back then, it was probably the *only* non-standard heirarchy; the situation
with regard to news transmission was also a lot different, with the backbone
being composed of sites that were sending news via fairly slow modems.  It
made a lot of sense to the Unix-PC folks to set up a separate network and
newsgroup heirarchy.

The result at this point in time is that we have our own little network,
and quite frankly a lot of "local" control of the net.  We don't have to
petition the net.gods for a new group, nor do we have to go through the
2-week+30-day discussion/voting period needed to create a new group in the
mainstream Usenet.  Like the alt.net, we carry our own weight; sometimes
this means that some extra effort may be required to get a feed.

Usenet is *not* a free ride.  Nor is it a "libertarian forum for sharing of
information."  It is paid for by the business and government sites that
comprise it.  If you want a certain net group badly enough, you should be
prepared to take the measure necessary to get it.  *Anyone* can get UUNET;
any net site can get a Trailblazer at a discount if you have a registered
domain.

>Look. Either you define the validity of moving this group to the main newsfeed
>based on:
>	* NUMBER OF READERS, or......
>	* VOLUME OF TRAFFIC

Okay, some hard facts:

       +-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
       |     +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
       |     |     +-- Propagation: how many sites receive this group at all
       |     |     |      +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
       |     |     |      |     +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
       |     |     |      |     |      +-- Crossposting percentage
       |     |     |      |     |      |    +-- Cost ratio: $US/month/reader
       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       +-- Share: % of newsreaders
       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       |   who read this group.
       V     V     V      V     V      V    V       V
112 14000   670   95%   132  243.9    39%  0.03    2.7%  comp.sys.att
423   590    29    3%   202  321.0    59%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.general
427   480    24    2%    16  240.7    67%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.sources

As a reasonable estimate, unix-pc.* might well go to 18000 (estimated)
readers if a straight-line extrapolation makes sense.  I'm not at all
confident, though, that the "small-town" atmosphere that makes unix-pc work
as well as it has would survive the mainstream Usenet.

>In other words, the continuance of the status of this group as an off-brand,
>tough-to-get service cannot *possibly* be based on similarity of treatment
>to other groups that no one even questions should be in the official feed.
>So what *is* the basis for this approach?

No, the basis is that unix-pc.* has nothing to do with the main Usenet except
for the use of the same transport mechanism and overlap between the two
networks at many sites.  Do you complain if you cannot receive (for example)
alt.fusion at your site and say that *all* Usenet sites should carry it?  I
should hope not; if you do, you're pissing in the wind...  :-)

Frankly, I would just as soon see unix-pc.* continue in the same vein that it
has.  It is not a service provided by the Usenet backbone to Unix-PC users;
it is a cooperative venture between all of us for the benefit of all of us.
Even though I have traded my 3B1 in for a (much) larger system, I continue
to carry the newsgroups and provide the redistribution mailing list.

It's called the "spirit of Usenet", and it's the reason that people like
Rick Adams, Gene Spafford and Mel Pleasant keep on plugging away at providing
the services that they provide.  It works best when we all do our part.
--

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (07/11/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul10104424@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>   ...over 85% of the UNIXPC owners/users are unable to receive the
>   unix-pc.* newsgroups.
>
>Bushwa!  They may be unwilling, but they're certainly not unable.
>Anyone who would like a unix-pc feed can have one for the asking.
>Drop me a line.

Likewise.  300, 1200, 2400 or TB+, just give me a call.

I'm sure the same is true of sites all over the USA at the very least, and
likely also anywhere this message will be seen.

<Inews fodder>

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (07/12/89)

In article <694@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>>*MY* suggestion is that ALL unix-pc.* material be cross-posted to comp.sys.att
>>and for people to fix their brain-damaged mail readers.  Worst case is for
>
>Yes - 'rn' seems to have a problem here. The site name appears in the Xrefs
>line, but still doesn't mark cross-postings as read. Any gurus out there who
>can suggest how to address this condition are invited to do so. We hope to
>get after this problem again in a few days - we have a busted floppy-drive
>(last repaired just 3 months ago!), so will be off the air to get it fixed.

Why don`t I have a probelm with this?  I never read something twice.  I will
admit that one single article which is cross-posted will show up as something
like "1 article in unix-pc.general, 1 article in comp.sys.att" but when I go
to read them, I *never* see it twice.  Is the current problem just that you`re
bothered by being told that you`ve got one more article that you should be?

>I fail to grasp the logic that says that if only 15% of the people who want to
>read the group can actually do so, that the obvious remedy is to cross-post
>everything to another group that everyone *can* read. Aircraft systems and
>governments rely on 100% redundancy. But newsgroups? If one group captures
>100% (best case) of what is carried in the other - why have both? Why does
>the second group exist apart from the first? That is, AT ALL? Just get rid
>of the one group and post everything to the other.

I don`t know... there could be *some* justification for keeping both.
For example, I could read unix-pc.general and even though 100% of this
group were cross-posted to comp.sys.att, I would only be reading unix-pc
related material.  Once the unix-pc.all is done, I then switch to c.s.a.
Only after finishing the unix-pc groups must I read c.s.a, which is not
guaranteed to contain exclusively unix-pc data.  Guess what, this is
*exactly* what happens *right now*

>[...] And, dammit, I want to know when I get my Magic Decoder Ring! It should
>have arrived by now, shouldn't it? Or do I have to call the Hotline?

Yea, you have to send in your registration card and AT&T will send you
your Personal Calendar program along with your Magic Decoder Ring!  |-)

Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob@rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob@nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-741-UN2X "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush

dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) (07/12/89)

In article <159@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:

>Okay, some hard facts:
>112 14000   670   95%   132  243.9    39%  0.03    2.7%  comp.sys.att
>423   590    29    3%   202  321.0    59%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.general
>427   480    24    2%    16  240.7    67%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.sources

The readership of the unix-pc.* groups is a lot higher than the arbitron data
suggests because there is a bug in every version of arbitron that I have ever
seen which causes it to exclude these groups from the data.  Somewhere between
lines 200 and 225 (your line numbers are most assuredly different than mine),
you will find two egrep patterns that look like this: '^[a-z]*\.'.  In case you
are not familiar with reading egrep patterns, this says: beginning of line
followed by any number of alphabetics followed by a period.  Now take a look
at the name "unix-pc.general" and you will notice that it contains a
non-alphabetic before the period!  If you receive the unix-pc groups and you
submit arbitron data, please change the egrep patterns to be '^[a-z0-9-]*\.'
and then re-run the arbitron script to submit new data.  Make sure you change
BOTH of the egrep patterns because I don't remember which one is used under
what circumstances.  If everyone on the net does this we should see a huge
jump in the readership of the unix-pc groups.

By the way, just because you are a small site does not mean that Brian does
not want you to submit arbitron data. If only the big sites submit data then
the statistics will be incorrectly skewed in the direction of the big sites.
The more sites of all sizes that submit arbitron data the more accurate the
results will be.  I think we should all submit arbitron data so that the
unix-pc groups get the recognition they deserve.
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (07/12/89)

In article <159@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
|[...]
|Okay, some hard facts:
|
|       +-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
|       |     +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
|       |     |     +-- Propagation: how many sites receive this group at all
|       |     |     |      +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
|       |     |     |      |     +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
|       |     |     |      |     |      +-- Crossposting percentage
|       |     |     |      |     |      |    +-- Cost ratio: $US/month/reader
|       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       +-- Share: % of newsreaders
|       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       |   who read this group.
|       V     V     V      V     V      V    V       V
|112 14000   670   95%   132  243.9    39%  0.03    2.7%  comp.sys.att
|423   590    29    3%   202  321.0    59%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.general
|427   480    24    2%    16  240.7    67%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.sources
|
|As a reasonable estimate, unix-pc.* might well go to 18000 (estimated)
|readers if a straight-line extrapolation makes sense.  I'm not at all
|confident, though, that the "small-town" atmosphere that makes unix-pc work
|as well as it has would survive the mainstream Usenet.

	One of the reasons that the "unix-pc" numbers are so
	small is that there is a long-standing bug in "arbitron",
	the program which gathers and sends out these statistics
	each month from reporting sites.

	The bug is that newsgroups with other than "^[a-z]*\."
	in their names are not selected for the report. Since
	the string "unix-pc." has '-' in it, it is not selected.

	The fix is to change to "egrep '^[a-z][-0-9_a-z]*\.' $ACTIVE"
	in the appropriate places in the "arbitron" script.
	I've posted this (& some other fixes) to the appropriate
	newsgroups recently, so there might be some change
	in the future...

--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) (07/13/89)

In article <705@galaxia.Newport.RI.US>, dave@galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:

> The readership of the unix-pc.* groups is a lot higher than the arbitron
> data suggests because there is a bug in every version of arbitron that
> I have ever seen which causes it to exclude these groups from the data.

deletion---

> By the way, just because you are a small site does not mean that Brian does
> not want you to submit arbitron data. If only the big sites submit data then
> the statistics will be incorrectly skewed in the direction of the big sites.
> The more sites of all sizes that submit arbitron data the more accurate the
> results will be.  I think we should all submit arbitron data so that the
> unix-pc groups get the recognition they deserve.

David:

I think that you have hit upon a very important point here.  I know that I
don't not run 'arbitron'.  In fact, I can't find it in my meager archive.
Do you think that Brian could repost a fixed version?  That way, major
sites with 'unix-pc.*' readers would be reporting better data. Meanwhile,
maybe you could post a 'Unix-pc' version to ah ah ah 'comp.sys.att'? :-)
( Where else can all of us get it? )

--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780
Denver, Colo., 80212					 uucp: 303-455-2670

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/14/89)

In article <159@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>being composed of sites that were sending news via fairly slow modems.  It
>made a lot of sense to the Unix-PC folks to set up a separate network and
>newsgroup heirarchy.

No one is questioning whether the decision made sense at that time. It may
even make sense now.

>The result at this point in time is that we have our own little network,
>and quite frankly a lot of "local" control of the net.  We don't have to
>petition the net.gods for a new group, nor do we have to go through the
>2-week+30-day discussion/voting period needed to create a new group in the
>mainstream Usenet.  Like the alt.net, we carry our own weight; sometimes
>this means that some extra effort may be required to get a feed.

>Usenet is *not* a free ride.  Nor is it a "libertarian forum for sharing of
>information."  It is paid for by the business and government sites that
>comprise it.  If you want a certain net group badly enough, you should be
>prepared to take the measure necessary to get it.  *Anyone* can get UUNET;

A libertarian philosophy would, in fact, strongly endorse the notion that
those who want a thing to both control and fund it. "Libertarian" is the
*opposite* of (not a synonym for) "paid for by someone else as a free ride".
"Libertarian government", for example, is an oxymoron. "Free" is a word
(along with "victim", and "fair") that libertarians tend to be repelled by.

As to my use of the word "libertarian" in this context, I was referring to
the absence of control over net traffic by some regulating "authority"
which can impose restrictions on the content, frequency, and/or quality of
communication - those decisions being made solely by the individuals who choose
when and what to communicate and who also support the means of communication.
The fact that government sites partake of or convey Usenet no more makes
Usenet a government function than would the government's election to use
IBM equipment make IBM a government function.

Governments can operate in a free market. It is only the opposite proposition
that lacks conclusive evidence.

>any net site can get a Trailblazer at a discount if you have a registered
>domain.

You do, then, confirm that in order to receive the unix-pc group(s), the
ordinary leaf site should ordinarily be expected (if required by location)
to buy a Trailblazer (@ ~$600), and pay long-distance charges for the privilege
of access to this group? After having registered as a domain - not exactly
the rule on Usenet? You consider this a reasonable price-of-admission. Do I
have that right?

I assume you would agree that these *are* obstacles that the ordinary leaf site
need not typically hurdle in order to receive groups in the ('scuse me) "main
feed". That, indeed, the Trailblazer would usually become a necessity *only*
because of the need to reduce long-distance charges in order solely to
maintain the unix-pc group(s) - since the majority of those sites will likely
be able to get local service without long-distance. Sorry, but it seems to me
that this is a solution fully worthy of Marie Antoinette.

>Okay, some hard facts:
>
>       +-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
>       |     +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
>       |     |     +-- Propagation: how many sites receive this group at all
>       |     |     |      +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
>       |     |     |      |     +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
>       |     |     |      |     |      +-- Crossposting percentage
>       |     |     |      |     |      |    +-- Cost ratio: $US/month/reader
>       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       +-- Share: % of newsreaders
>       |     |     |      |     |      |    |       |   who read this group.
>       V     V     V      V     V      V    V       V
>112 14000   670   95%   132  243.9    39%  0.03    2.7%  comp.sys.att
>423   590    29    3%   202  321.0    59%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.general
>427   480    24    2%    16  240.7    67%  0.03    0.1%  unix-pc.sources

>As a reasonable estimate, unix-pc.* might well go to 18000 (estimated)

Making it a larger group than comp.sys.att - especially if the cross-postings
were eliminated, which would probably reduce present volume in comp.sys.att
by half (or more, if the numbers above were to be accepted as representative,
which they may or may not be).

>readers if a straight-line extrapolation makes sense.  I'm not at all
>confident, though, that the "small-town" atmosphere that makes unix-pc work
>as well as it has would survive the mainstream Usenet.

Ok - here you've got me, and I must earnestly admit that I don't get it. That
does *not* mean that I assume you are wrong. I just don't understand how this
group would be threatened by gaining wider distribution, and am more than
willing to be enlightened (but not fogged). Perhaps this will turn out to be
the salient point not taken into account in my assumption that wider distri-
bution is a Good Thing for unix-pc users at large.

I guess the other question I would have is whether or not there might be ways
to preserve this "small-town" atmosphere without (passively) restricting the
availability? Is this just not possible? Is there some demonstrated maximum
number of people who can enter into a group, after which time it just goes
to hell in a basket? Is there some sort of corollary to Parkinson's Law?

>>In other words, the continuance of the status of this group as an off-brand,
>>tough-to-get service cannot *possibly* be based on similarity of treatment
>>to other groups that no one even questions should be in the official feed.
>>So what *is* the basis for this approach?
>
>No, the basis is that unix-pc.* has nothing to do with the main Usenet except

I think you neatly managed to avoid the question: you told me what the basis
is *not* - I asked what the basis *is*! You could equally have said that the
basis of Usenet is that it has nothing to do with General Motors, the ACLU, or
the Communist Party of the USA - none of which defines what it *is*.

>for the use of the same transport mechanism and overlap between the two
>networks at many sites.  Do you complain if you cannot receive (for example)

If you are defining this as a complaint, then you have missed the point.

>alt.fusion at your site and say that *all* Usenet sites should carry it?  I
>should hope not; if you do, you're pissing in the wind...  :-)

Pissing *down*wind is, actually, not all that dangerous - as proven personally
by me on several occasions :-) *Up*wind, however, is a serious error, I agree.

No - I actually am not concerned about my *own* access at all. But I think
there are some rather high barriers that exist to access for many others, and
I'm not sure what interest is served by maintaining them. I do have some real
trouble with responses that amount to: "Because we've always done it that way".

>Frankly, I would just as soon see unix-pc.* continue in the same vein that it
>has.  It is not a service provided by the Usenet backbone to Unix-PC users;
>it is a cooperative venture between all of us for the benefit of all of us.
So is the USENET - this is not a difference. And "all of us" in this context
seems to imply the present unix-pc membership - no mention is made of the
(I would guess) vastly larger number of unix-pc users who are *not* served -
and never will be, presumably.

>Even though I have traded my 3B1 in for a (much) larger system, I continue
>to carry the newsgroups and provide the redistribution mailing list.

You have done a Good Thing, sir! Let no person doubt it! :-)

>It's called the "spirit of Usenet", and it's the reason that people like
>Rick Adams, Gene Spafford and Mel Pleasant keep on plugging away at providing
>the services that they provide.  It works best when we all do our part.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What, explicitly, does this really mean? I translate it to mean "I'm quite
comfortable with things as they are, and really don't want to see a change."
That's fine - I'd not try to invalidate your feelings in that regard. But
accepting them as a conclusive defense of the status quo is another matter.

And, well gee, Scott, I do find it odd that after telling me that the unix-pc
group(s) are in no way related to the USENET, that you would fall back on the
"spirit of Usenet" as your closing rational for the seperation. It makes
nice poetry, but seems to me a logical contradiction. Or, perhaps, the logic
is just too subtle for my admittedly coarse reasoning skills. :-)

And if this "spirit" actually endorses your every sentiment above expressed,
do you get this approval by way of seance, or does it just come to you in the
occasional dream? Or do you communicate with it (he? her?) thru your Magic
Decoder Ring? (Boy, I just *gotta* remember to call the Hot Line about that!)
:-)

mike@captain.UUCP (Mike Proicou) (07/15/89)

In article <696@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>In article <159@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>You do, then, confirm that in order to receive the unix-pc group(s), the
>ordinary leaf site should ordinarily be expected (if required by location)
>to buy a Trailblazer (@ ~$600), and pay long-distance charges for the privilege
>of access to this group? After having registered as a domain - not exactly
>the rule on Usenet? You consider this a reasonable price-of-admission. Do I
>have that right?

Nahh, no Trailblazer required...

>I assume you would agree that these *are* obstacles that the ordinary leaf site
>need not typically hurdle in order to receive groups in the ('scuse me) "main
>feed". That, indeed, the Trailblazer would usually become a necessity *only*
>because of the need to reduce long-distance charges in order solely to
                               ---------------------
>maintain the unix-pc group(s) - since the majority of those sites will likely
>be able to get local service without long-distance. Sorry, but it seems to me
>that this is a solution fully worthy of Marie Antoinette.

I don't know who YOUR phone company is (mine's ATT), but I pay approximately
35 cents per day to pick up a partial feed of unix-pc.* and comp.sys.att via
long distance.  Of course, I'm only using 2400 baud, and poll Columbus once
per night.  If this gets too expensive, I think I'll drink one less can of pop
at work during the day to support my unix-pc.* habit!

I wonder how long it would take for a Telebit to pay for itself?????

$600 / .35 =  1714 days to recover the cost of a new modem!  I guess I'd
have to pick up more groups!

Mike

PS I really wanted to stay out of this discussion, but ...
--
Mike Proicou                                 | The supreme irony of life is
mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil               | that hardly anyone gets out

brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) (07/16/89)

I'm finding this debate increasingly offensive.  Bud Hovell is upset
that some unix-pc users might have to (gasp!) spend some of their own
money, time, and effort to exchange information with other unix-pc users
(as if the ability to do so were some kind of right).  The answer, says
Bud, is to merge unix-pc.all (in some form) into "mainstream Usenet."

Well, I am not going to get into a philsophical argument about what
Usenet is for and about, and why in my opinion unix-pc.all (in any
form) doesn't belong there.  Everyone has their own opinion, and few
really care to discuss the matter (e.g., me).  And such discussions
inevitably lead nowhere.

As far as I'm concerned, Bud has raised only one point worth
considering: the present unix-pc distribution is not getting the kind
of circulation it needs.  He rightly argues that (in this case) the
value of the newsgroups increase in proportion to the size of their
audience of unix-pc owners and users.  That much is beyond question.

Most people also seem to agree that comp.sys.att is not the
appropriate venue for unix-pc discussions.  The volume of unix-pc
discussion demands a distinct group or set of groups.  Thus Bud's
proposal.  I've already said that I think it's the wrong idea.
Nevertheless, to Bud I say this: it's time to put your money where
your mouth is.  Get this discussion out of these newsgroups and start
the ball rolling with a newgroup proposal in news.groups.  If you
don't know how, DO NOT post an article asking how this is done.
Rather, do your homework in news.announce.newusers.  If the proposal
wins, come back and we'll discuss the fate of the unix-pc hierarchy.

But now I'll tell you what I think the right solution is, why it's the
right solution, and why it's already in place.

Obviously, the people who currently do not receive unix-pc.all should
make an effort to get it, either by getting a feed (they're certainly
available) and running news on their unix-pc's, or by convincing their
news administrator to find a feed.  However, there are many people for
whom neither option exists, practically speaking.  They may not have
the skill, interest, time, or resources to run news at home, or their
only feed options may be too costly, or it may be impossible to
affect the newsfeed at their workplace.  Those people should not be
left out in the cold; those of us in the unix-pc distribution need
them as much as they need us.

For those folks, the solution is: join the unix-pc mailing list.
Scott Mueller maintains a gateway between unix-pc.* and e-mail.  Mail
sent to gateway get redistributed over unix-pc, and unix-pc articles
get sent to you by mail.  All you need is a reliable e-mail path to
Scott's machine.  The mailing list is the solution, and it's already
operating.  All it could use is a little advertising.  Then we can put
an end to all this cross-posting.

Sure, mailing lists are a bit more difficult to deal with than news
groups (although the ARPAnet folks have been using them happily for
years).  But they do work.  And I really do think it arrogant to expect
that 10,000+ sites, most with little or no interest in unix-pc's, should
spend THEIR money, time, and effort supporting OUR habits.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Computer and Information Science

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (07/16/89)

In article <490@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>The mailing list is the solution, and it's already operating.  All it could
>use is a little advertising.

With reference to this point, I've been thinking of a monthly posting to
comp.sys.att announcing the existence of the list.  It should be a short
posting, so people can read it, with a fixed Subject: line so other people
can put it into their kill files...  :-)

>I really do think it arrogant to expect that 10,000+ sites, most with little
>or no interest in unix-pc's, should spend THEIR money, time, and effort
>supporting OUR habits.

And before anyone suggests that a mailing list still makes other sites (those
on the mail paths) carry our load, let me point out that *mail* traffic
through a site is carried without question.

A point of curiousity, to those who were not here at the time:  The unix-pc
mailing list arose out of a previous round of discussion on the topic of
merging unix-pc.* and comp.sys.att.  At that time, I had proposed gatewaying
unix-pc.* traffic into comp.sys.att, but since there was no consensus, I
announced that I would start a mailing list and would bring the topic up again
at such time as the number of subscribers to the list justified it.  It has
been a year and a half and there have been at no time more than 35 addresses
on the list.  Thus, my position that moving the unix-pc.* discussions into
the Usenet mainstream is not justified.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott@zorch.UU.NET (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213    |Send mail to fusion-request@zorch.UU.NET
San Jose, CA 95111 |No dsclmr, my cmptr|for sci.physics.fusion digests via email

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (07/16/89)

Let me keep this short, I have to repartition my hard drive today...  :-(
The basis for the type of operation unix-pc.* maintains is that Unix-PC sites
and sympathizers maintain the network.  We don't request the Usenet backbone
to carry it, and don't expect all of the other sites on the mainstream Usenet
to forward it.  Therefore, while we *all* make feeds freely available, we do
not support the position that unix-pc.* should be integrated into the
mainstream.

If you want unix-pc.*, go and get it from somewhere!  *It's* *not* *that*
*hard*.  If you can't afford UUNET, you can get it from Dave Brierly; if you
can't possibly set up another inbound connection, or your site admin won't,
you can look for a public-access site and tell them that they'll get your
business if and only if they set up a connection.  If none of that works,
write unix-pc-request@zorch.uu.net, uunet!zorch!unix-pc-request.  If you
can't or won't do that, I'd consider that adequate proof that you (the
hypothetical you, not Bud Hovell or any specific person) don't really want
unix-pc.* that badly; you just want to piss (upwind :-) and moan about it.
--

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (07/17/89)

In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>And for those who don't know, there are four:
>unix-pc.general, unix-pc.sources, unix-pc.uucp, and unix-pc.bugs.

You missed two.  From ditka's active file:

    unix-pc.bugs 00118 00115 y
    unix-pc.general 03700 03629 y
**  unix-pc.misc 00002 00002 y
    unix-pc.sources 00374 00368 y
**  unix-pc.test 00060 00058 y
    unix-pc.uucp 00140 00139 y

Obviously not much traffic in unix-pc.misc; seems more than a bit
redundant given unix-pc.general.

And to add to the list of available feeds, anybody who wishes to
call either of my machines (Chicago and New Mexico) is welcome to
a get unix-pc (and most anything else) from me.  The New Mexico
site, ditka, has a TrailBlazer, while the Chicago site, royko, is
limited to 2400 baud but is PC Pursuitable.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP		uunet!lll-winken!ames!hc!rt1!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|Internet	kls@rt1.lanl.gov

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (07/17/89)

In article <694@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>Set up a committee to see how many we can blackball. Keep it elite.

Bud, *many* sites (including both of mine, ditka and royko) offer a
feed of the unix-pc groups to anybody who asks.  These offers have
been expressed many times in this newsgroup and comp.sys.att.  That
hardly constitutes blackballing anybody or keeping it elite.

>Or is it intended that the
>unix-pc.* group(s) are a 'private network' which is mostly available only
>to people who are willing to jump thru the necessary hoops to finally get a
>feed?

Do you expect Digital (for example) to carry newsgroups which they
care not one whit about across the country for you?  Do you expect
Tektronix to pull such groups to Portland for you?  True, this does
happen in many cases, but whining because somebody else won't pick
up the tab for you hardly seems just.

While there are many sites carrying the unix-pc groups who have
little interest in them (one might successfully argue that att is
among these sites) it only seems reasonable that the majority of
the sites paying to move the group around are UNIX PCs.

And again, your talk of how difficult it is to obtain a feed is
utter hogwash.  Feeds for these groups are easy to find if you
just open your eyes.

--

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (07/18/89)

In article <170@zorch.UU.NET> scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:

>And before anyone suggests that a mailing list still makes other sites (those
>on the mail paths) carry our load, let me point out that *mail* traffic
>through a site is carried without question.

Not true, my friend.  I, and others I know, run UUCP statistics programs and
scripts (such a uucp.stat, traffic, etc.) and watch for abusers.  I've
identified excessive volume users--1Mb or more per week--and informed them that
if they want to move that volume of mail, they should arrange direct links.

Many sites agree to unrestricted Email forwarding because it tends to be a
reasonable number of low-volume messages; these same sites may not be able to
support USENET, either because they've only low-speed modems (<=2400BPS),
limited disk space and/or CPU cycles, or limited telephone budgets.  People who
route high-volume, regular mailing lists through such sites without prior
agreement are anti-social in the extreme, and may properly expect objection
from the site managers.

		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us

nichiren@glyph.UUCP (Andy Heffernan) (07/18/89)

In article <2796@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>In article <20239@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>And for those who don't know, there are four:
>>unix-pc.general, unix-pc.sources, unix-pc.uucp, and unix-pc.bugs.
>
>You missed two.  From ditka's active file:
>
>    unix-pc.bugs 00118 00115 y
>    unix-pc.general 03700 03629 y
>**  unix-pc.misc 00002 00002 y
>    unix-pc.sources 00374 00368 y
>**  unix-pc.test 00060 00058 y
>    unix-pc.uucp 00140 00139 y
>
>Obviously not much traffic in unix-pc.misc; seems more than a bit
>redundant given unix-pc.general.

For what its worth, uunet doesn't carry unix-pc.misc:

$ grep unix-pc /usr/lib/news/newsgroups
unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
unix-pc.test 		Test group.
unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.

I snarfed their newsgroups file about a week and a half ago
(and killed the /usr/lib/news/checkgroups script in the process),
so it appears to be a reasonably up-to-date list.

Andy Heffernan              uunet!glyph!nichiren            [1222 - 1282]

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (07/18/89)

In article <469@glyph.UUCP> nichiren@glyph.UUCP (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>In article <2796@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>>Obviously not much traffic in unix-pc.misc; seems more than a bit
>>redundant given unix-pc.general.

>For what its worth, uunet doesn't carry unix-pc.misc:

>$ grep unix-pc /usr/lib/news/newsgroups
>unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
>unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
>unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
>unix-pc.test 		Test group.
>unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.

Interesting.  My newsgroups file doesn't list unix-pc.misc either,
though it's present in /usr/lib/news/active.  Perhaps it might be
appropriate for somebody to send out a unix-pc checkgroup message
to make sure everybody has the right stuff.  And, if nobody has
any objections, to nuke unix-pc.misc once and for all.  Anybody
want to do the honors?
--

alexc@whizz.uucp (Alex M. Chan) (07/19/89)

In article <704@whizz.uucp> bbh@whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>In article <490@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:

	Well, I agree with some of the posting in here, but I think that
	the groups should be renamed to comp.sys.unic-pc, comp.binaries.unix-pc
	.... and follow the norm for general. This way most of the backbone
	sites would have the group(s), this means that if people who is/are
	interested in getting them could do so.

	But I got kind of upset when some people say that "if you want
	this group, you have to call long distance or so inorder to get it.
	......" this seems to be against the orginal reason for USENET.

	This is just my $0.02, if you have any responces ot so, please
	use E-mail instead and not follow up.

Alex M. Chan. | E-Mail     : sun!nosun!{qiclab|whizz}!tanya!root
/------------\| DISCLAIMER : The above stated is only my personal opinion,
\------------/             |              organization....

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/19/89)

Sorry, I blew it - no smiley, again. -------> :-)

>>Or is it intended that the
>>unix-pc.* group(s) are a 'private network' which is mostly available only
>>to people who are willing to jump thru the necessary hoops to finally get a
>>feed?
>
>Do you expect Digital (for example) to carry newsgroups which they
>care not one whit about across the country for you?  Do you expect
>Tektronix to pull such groups to Portland for you?  True, this does
>happen in many cases, but whining because somebody else won't pick
>up the tab for you hardly seems just.

This seems to be a common conclusion from my posting(s), in spite of the
fact that I believe I made it manifestly clear that we do *not* have the problem
of getting a unix-pc.* feed. Other people clearly do. My argument had nothing
to do with obtaining a "free ride" - unless you count your USENET feed as
"free" also. It isn't. Putting the unix-pc groups on USENET isn't going to
make them "free". Do you see the word "free" stated in any of my postings?

We have a *very* reliable feed (one step from pacbell via safari - thank you,
Dave! :-), and pass unix-pc.* on to a local hub (bucket) which is *very* much
larger than we are, and which also gets the unix-pc* feed from ditka.

{Sidebar: Some months ago, I directly asked Dave about assisting with long-
distance charges for getting unix-pc up from pacbell, and he demurred. If he
changes his mind, the offer is still open, as I'm certain he knows.]

I do mark safari DEAD to avoid sending mail thru Dave's site, since other paths
of transmission are much lower cost, going by TB rather than OBM. If this is
a netsin, then please explain to me the logic of using smail routings to keep
total path cost to the minimum. Or is this logic *also* to be actively rejected
when applied to the unix-pc.net?

We cross-feed to bucket primarily to hasten distribution, since we sometimes
get unix-pc to bucket faster than bucket gets it from ditka, owing (I assume)
to minor differences in propogation. It also means that bucket has redundant
backup if one of the two feeding sites goes down for brief periods. It's a
small contribution, admittedly, and not remotely on a par with what you and
other unix-pc.net.folks support.

[If anyone wants to get unix-pc.* directly from us, we'd be glad to oblige.
As it is, we cannot offer high-speed transmission without buying a TB and an
expansion board to provide more serial ports (we have a terminal). For now,
the OBM is it. At night, we also have alot of intensive updates and report-
generating going on, which slows things down to a crawl. But, if you're
a masochist, we'll be glad to serve you :-).]

Which all has nothing to do with the point of the original posting. But may
respond to a few of the red herrings.

>While there are many sites carrying the unix-pc groups who have
>little interest in them (one might successfully argue that att is
>among these sites) it only seems reasonable that the majority of
>the sites paying to move the group around are UNIX PCs.

Substitute 'comp.sys.amiga' for 'unix-pc groups'  and 'Amigas' for 'UNIX PCs'
and see if this still makes sense to you. Perhaps so. This *does* have to do
with the point of the original posting.

>And again, your talk of how difficult it is to obtain a feed is
>utter hogwash.  Feeds for these groups are easy to find if you
>just open your eyes.

You are probably right. :-)

-30-

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (07/19/89)

>                            And I really do think it arrogant to expect
>that 10,000+ sites, most with little or no interest in unix-pc's, should
>spend THEIR money, time, and effort supporting OUR habits.

A strange concept that I seem to agree with just about everyone.  :-)
Unfortunately, this statement, while correct and reasonable, can open
up a can of worms, since there are already a plethora of groups that
are carried by masses of machines (and people) that they have no
interest in.  rec.backcountry, rec.arts.wobegon, comp.sys.apollo,
comp.org.fidonet... ad infinitum.  These are all "mainstream"
newsgroups that don't cater to a mass appeal.

Are these groups useful?  Sure.  Do they (and the people using them)
benefit from mainstream distribution?  Sure again.  While the
readership in those groups may or may not be larger than the unix-pc
community, they are a small sample of very specialized groups.

comp.sys.att is and is not, at the same time, an appropriate place for
unix-pc discussions.  The 3b1/7300 is an AT&T product.  AT&T does
support the machine in a fashion, and does provide peripherals (sorta :-)
However, unix-pc.all does not get normal distribution.  The unix-pc
volume is actually large enough to detriment comp.sys.att and therefore
qualifies for it's "own space", which it has, which is not readily
available to everyone.  Since it already has it's space, there's no
real interest in altering, moving or better supporting it.  Sortof a
Usenet Catch-22.

In _most_ cases, a few calls to the right people will solve the
problem on the feed angle, but you need to either know the right
people, or even know the admin of your machine.  It will not be
possible in all cases to get that feed, either from unavailable
sources, unknown sources, or uncaring or unsympathetic admins, either
at your own machine or a machine up the line.

Solutions have been proposed, some better than others, and deserve
attention.  Am I right in assuming that the real options have
basically fallen into three options?

	1/ Ignore the whole issue (again)
	2/ Get "backbone" (mainstream) distribution for unix-pc.all
	3/ Create a mainstream group, such as comp.sys.att.unixpc
	   and dump the unix-pc heirarchy

--
________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____          BITNET: rjg%sialis.mn.org@cs.umn.edu
__National Information Services__            UUCP: ...amdahl!bungia!sialis!rjg
 "Scotty!  I've gotta have motor functions in three minutes or we're all dead!"

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (07/19/89)

In article <490@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>(as if the ability to do so were some kind of right).  The answer, says

No - it's a privilege. So is driving a car. If one were required to have
a chauffer's license with a motorcycle endorsement just to motor the ol'
chevvy down to get the groceries at the local store, some might hold that
to be an unwarranted restriction of a *privilege*. Add to that the further
license endorsement that some would like to see required for people to be
able to operate a vehicle on a freeway, and half the motoring public would
suffer terminal apoplexy - over the restriction of a *privilege*, not of a
*right*.

>Bud, is to merge unix-pc.all (in some form) into "mainstream Usenet."
<deleted>
>As far as I'm concerned, Bud has raised only one point worth
>considering: the present unix-pc distribution is not getting the kind
>of circulation it needs.  He rightly argues that (in this case) the
>value of the newsgroups increase in proportion to the size of their
>audience of unix-pc owners and users.  That much is beyond question.

And that is the central issue - where we seem to agree, though many do not.
(We may not agree on what is the "optimum" solution, but that's secondary).

>Most people also seem to agree that comp.sys.att is not the
>appropriate venue for unix-pc discussions.  The volume of unix-pc
>discussion demands a distinct group or set of groups.  Thus Bud's
>proposal.  I've already said that I think it's the wrong idea.

It may well be wrong, depending on the criteria one applies. Since there
is no agreement on criteria, agreement on what is "right" is not possible.

>Nevertheless, to Bud I say this: it's time to put your money where
>your mouth is.  Get this discussion out of these newsgroups and start
>the ball rolling with a newgroup proposal in news.groups.  If you
<deleted>

Based on what I have *now* seen, this would be pointless, since having
wider availability of the group through usenet distribution is clearly not
high on the list of most of its existing readership. 'Little disagreement
on that point, I'd say, based on the evidence at hand. :-)

>But now I'll tell you what I think the right solution is, why it's the
>right solution, and why it's already in place.
<deleted>
>news administrator to find a feed.  However, there are many people for
>whom neither option exists, practically speaking.  They may not have
<deleted>

Exactly. And it is the practical effect that counts.

>For those folks, the solution is: join the unix-pc mailing list.
<deleted>
>Scott's machine.  The mailing list is the solution, and it's already
>operating.  All it could use is a little advertising.  Then we can put
>an end to all this cross-posting.

Nothing wrong with that solution, either, as long as the people who do
not now enjoy the benefit of these groups have reasonable access by *some*
means known to the outer world where they abide. Scott maintains, in a
seperate article, that he has had only 35 (was it?) people listed for
distribution by email. I suspect we could all agree that this is *not*
likely to be a major share of the people who would like to read this
group, but who do not receive it.

Whether advertising will overcome this barrier, I don't know - but it
might, and is certainly worth pursuing. Scott just mentions that he will
look into doing a routine posting to the net, and this may well do the
trick.

If the availability of the group (by whatever reasonable method) is kept
*visible to* and gives relatively *easy access for* new participants, then
that is the important thing.

>Sure, mailing lists are a bit more difficult to deal with than news
>groups (although the ARPAnet folks have been using them happily for
>years).  But they do work.  And I really do think it arrogant to expect
>that 10,000+ sites, most with little or no interest in unix-pc's, should
>spend THEIR money, time, and effort supporting OUR habits.

It would be arrogant if I had in any way suggested that every site in the
free world (or North America, or the USA, or Portland, OR) should be
carrying this group. I did not. I do not. The notion that it should be
carried over the net backbone (limited to 'na', perhaps) doesn't imply
that at all. As a percentage increase of the daily megadose of net news,
it would appear that the output of this group would be lost in the rounding.
Just as I suspect a number of *official* groups (might 'rec.music.gdead' be
an example?) get no more - and probably far less - active readership than
would this group if likewise carried on USENET.

Given the other "habits" already being lavishly indulged, I don't see
that unix-pc.* is less worthy than, say, 'talk.bizarre' or, perhaps,
'soc.culture.celtic'. (And before any self-righteous knights-errant leap on
their trusty chargers to defend a perceived assault on their castles, I am
*not* implying that these groups should be dropped!) What's the difference
that justifies expecting USENET to routinely carry *these* groups - but
*not* unix-pc.*?

Much of the "evidence" offered to explain this difference amounted to
assigning petty or base - possibly even [God forbid!] *venal* 8-O motives
to my raising the issue as I did. Lighten up, guys - all that excess bile
can rot your innards :-) :-)

Brant's (and some other) reasoned responses have been most refreshing, by
comparison. Thanks, Brant (and others), for your patience. I promise to
spare the bandwidth of any further discussion on this issue from this
quarter.

Gotta go now and get my flame-proof suit back into the cleaners again. '-)

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (07/20/89)

In article <1677@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:

>basically fallen into three options?
>
>	1/ Ignore the whole issue (again)
>	2/ Get "backbone" (mainstream) distribution for unix-pc.all
>	3/ Create a mainstream group, such as comp.sys.att.unixpc
>	   and dump the unix-pc heirarchy
>
>--
>________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org

ignoring the issue won't make it go away; the unix-pc is a dead product,
but there will continue to be machines in use for at least a couple of
years.

is a unix-pc feed any harder to get than, say, an alt feed?  a gnu feed?
don't most backbones carry the alt and gnu groups?  in fact, don't most
backbones carry unix-pc?  or am i spoiled because i work in one of the
centers of the universe?  ;-)  i believe that mr. granvin is correct when
he asserts that a feed is simple to obtain if you know who to ask.  when i
came to mips a couple of years ago, we did not get unix-pc; it took about
two weeks, and we picked it up from a site with which we were already
exchanging mail.  now there's a unix-pc owner in our sysadmin group, so i'm
sure our feed is safe.

it appears to me that the discussion boils down to this: i have seen no
compelling argument for keeping the unix-pc groups somehow separate from
the other babel.  on the other hand, i have seen a compelling reason to
change the way things are now.  comp.sys.att is ridiculous.  it needs to be
subdivided.  after all, there's comp.sys.cbm and comp.sys.amiga, but
the amiga is a commodore product.  there's comp.sys.mac and comp.sys.apple.
there's comp.sys.atari.{8bit,st} and i'm sure other examples can be found.

i read comp.sys.att, just to catch the unix-pc stuff that didn't make it to
unix-pc.whatever.  (yes, our rn works properly.  no, i hardly ever see
duplicate postings, and the ones i do see were actually posted twice by
some net.novice.)  i'm rather tired of having to wade through all the 3b2
and pc6300 etc. postings.  the 3b2 postings have really tapered off, and i
suspect it's because we've chased them into their own mailing list.

would somebody please go read the directions and issue a formal call for
discussion to split comp.sys.att into something sensible like
comp.sys.att.3b1 comp.sys.att.3b2 and comp.sys.att.6386 (or whatever.)
--
-wilkes

wilkes@mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (07/20/89)

Now that my hardware problems *seem* to be over (did I actually say
that???), I'll volunteer mccc as a provider of unix-pc.* to anyone with
a Trailblazer at 9600 or 19200 bps.
--
Pete Holsberg -- Mercer College -- Trenton, NJ 08690
...!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (07/21/89)

In article <1677@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
=comp.sys.att is and is not, at the same time, an appropriate place for
=unix-pc discussions.  The 3b1/7300 is an AT&T product.  AT&T does
=support the machine in a fashion, and does provide peripherals (sorta :-)

???  My latest call to the hot line produced, "Press 2 if you need
support on the 3B line or the 7300."  That *sounds* like support.  OTOH,
I expect that support and the support for 3B2 <= 400 to disappear pretty
soon, based on the number of 3B2/400s that AT&T is giving away.  ;-)
--

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (07/22/89)

>=comp.sys.att is and is not, at the same time, an appropriate place for
>=unix-pc discussions.  The 3b1/7300 is an AT&T product.  AT&T does
>=support the machine in a fashion, and does provide peripherals (sorta :-)
>
>???  My latest call to the hot line produced, "Press 2 if you need
>support on the 3B line or the 7300."  That *sounds* like support.  OTOH,
>I expect that support and the support for 3B2 <= 400 to disappear pretty
>soon, based on the number of 3B2/400s that AT&T is giving away.  ;-)

There is a requirement that all discontinued equipment must be
supported for a period of five years from the date the product was
discontinued.  AT&T is obligated to provide that support, unless they
go out of business.  :-)

On the other hand, try to locate a 3b1/7300 product manager within
AT&T.  S/he does not exist.