[unix-pc.general] Domain-style address on 7300

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (06/08/89)

I've just gone through the process of getting my Unix-pc site
properly registered with a real domain name and getting an
internet neighbor to be a mail exchanger.
("k1bc" --> "k1bc.lex.ma.us")
It's still connected just via uucp, of course.

Would anyone who has gone through this be willing to
advise me as to what mail software I should be running
on the 7300 and what configuration there is to go through?
I guess I can bumble my way through it, but if you've
done it recently enough to remember the details, I'd
appreciate some email (to my work address -- clements@bbn.com).

Thanks,
/Rcc

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (06/09/89)

In article <41062@bbn.COM> clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) writes:

>I've just gone through the process of getting my Unix-pc site
>properly registered with a real domain name and getting an
>internet neighbor to be a mail exchanger.
>("k1bc" --> "k1bc.lex.ma.us")
>It's still connected just via uucp, of course.
[...]

I posted because I haven't seen this in this group lately, and there may be
others interested. The program is called "smail". Its in the archives. I will
allow you to do user@machine.blah.blah type addressing. You can use a simple
/usr/lib/uucp/paths file with just
host	host!%s	0
smart-host	host!%s	0

and rely on you host to do REAL @ to ! conversion for you. It works by splicing
itself between the user interface to mail and the real /bin/mail.

I did not suggest sendmail, because I don't have a working version of it yet.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

John Milton describes "smail" and how it permits Internet-domain-style mail
addresses (e.g. thad@cup.portal.com) on one's UNIXPC.

OK, I'll bite.  In WHAT archives can smail be found?

I just checked the latest listing from ohio-state and found only:

          smail23.makefile  (around 2K bytes)
          smail.fix.Z       (also around 2K bytes)

I have the latest sources for sendmail, but haven't looked at them yet.

IS there a list of UNIXPC archive sites?  On the West Coast?  I'm willing to
take steps to become an archive site (so to speak) assuming the availability
of phone line(s) to this area; would need a "seed" library to augment what's
already in my and the User Groups' library.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

wilber@alice.UUCP (Bob Wilber) (06/16/89)

>John Milton describes "smail" and how it permits Internet-domain-style mail
>addresses (e.g. thad@cup.portal.com) on one's UNIXPC.
>
>OK, I'll bite.  In WHAT archives can smail be found?

The latest version of smail is 2.5 (I think) and can be found in Volume 11 of
your nearest comp.sources.unix archive.  I have a minor unofficial patch in my
/pkg/smail directory but I don't recall where it was posted.  I don't think
it's important.

I believe the "subject heading" is "Smail, UUCP domain mailer" (no version
number given).  Killer has it and I'm sure uunet does.

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Bob Wilber

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (07/23/89)

In article <9492@alice.UUCP> wilber@alice.UUCP (Bob Wilber) writes:

>The latest version of smail is 2.5 (I think) and can be found in Volume 11 of
>your nearest comp.sources.unix archive.  I have a minor unofficial patch in my
>/pkg/smail directory but I don't recall where it was posted.  I don't think
>it's important.

Smail2.5, as distributed has a few problems.  Its binary search
routines don't always find names in the paths file, and it often sends
two copies of a letter to someone (specifically, to a person on the
smart-host if the smart-host is being used to resolve the address of
someone else that the letter is going to).

I have applied two unofficial patches to fix these problems.  They
helped, but both the problems still occur sometimes.  I would
appreciate hearing from anyone that has both these problems completely
solved.  Thanks.
--
                              Jim Gottlieb
  E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>