[unix-pc.general] Help needed on my UNIX-PC....

root@spdyne.UUCP (07/24/89)

Greetings:

    I just bought a UNIX PC with 1 Meg of Ram, 40 Meg disk and all...
And I have a few problems:

        1) Contrary to my understanding, it did not come with the Development
           System.  ('C' Lang. Compiler etc..)

        2) It is a rather old version of UNIX.  (no vi!!! - I wouldn't
           have ever guessed that someone was selling a 'UNIX' without
           vi!  Especally not AT & T!  Oh, well... Live and learn..
           (Maybe it comes with the soft dev. kit?)

        3) I need more Ram.  1 Meg is not very much.

        4) I Need a Mouse.  It didn't come with one and it would be nice
           to have one.

        5) I would like to upgrade the OS to 3.51 (Current?) It is currently
           at 3.0.

        6) I would like to hang at least one serial port of the thing.
           (No, the one that came with it is hosed, tho I'm going to
            go in there with a Scope and see if I can trace it down...)

        7) I would like a SCSI board for it... (Not a high on my list yet.)

        8) I might like to get the DOS board/Software

        9) I would like to upgrade the internal modem (s?? 2 lines - 2
           modems??) - to 2400 baud.  Can this be done?

        9) ** Most important ** I would like to get any documentation that
           is availiable for it, including Schematics for it. (I'm dreaming
           right?)

I talked to AT & T - 3 different 800 numbers... And I have talked to the
three dealers that they gave me on the last call... So far, I'm lucky if
they have even heard of the machine.... One tried to sell me UNIX for the
386 - said it should work....[Gave up on that vendor...]

    I talked to Technical Resource Center (800-433-4904) and they
wanted to sell me a RAM board for it (w/0K) for only $1,200!  Gee, I
could get a 286 with 4 Serial ports and UNIX for about that price...
(and of course 1Mb ram...)   After the fourth time I asked the guy,
he checked on the board a little more and found out that it also
had 2 serial ports on it..

    If AT & T is not willing to sell the Soft. Dev. kit anymore, is there
anyone out there who would be so kind as to tar it up and UUCP / US-Mail
it to me? [or sell me their copy?] I'll trade ya Dbase 3 for it...

    Also, is there any way to make the internal modem connect ONLY after
6 rings?  What I want to do is to have the answering machine pickup after
4 rings, then while it's resetting UUCP will try again, and this time
the answering machine will just let the phone ring - 8 times from my
tests, and the computer will take the call... It should work like a charm.

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this...

        Chert Pellett
        root@spdyne   || elwiz@attctc

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) (07/26/89)

In article <4700001@spdyne> root@spdyne.UUCP writes:

>Greetings:

>        2) It is a rather old version of UNIX.  (no vi!!! - I wouldn't
>           have ever guessed that someone was selling a 'UNIX' without
>           vi!  Especally not AT & T!  Oh, well... Live and learn..
>           (Maybe it comes with the soft dev. kit?)

vi does come with the development utils.

>        3) I need more Ram.  1 Meg is not very much.

1 Meg is not much, but if this is intended as a system with one user on
at a time, there is little problems with it.

>        4) I Need a Mouse.  It didn't come with one and it would be nice
>           to have one.

!!!! Should have been with the system !!!

>        7) I would like a SCSI board for it... (Not a high on my list yet.)

As would many others too.  There have been two(?) companies that have
work(ed) on this.  No complete product that I am aware of.

>        8) I might like to get the DOS board/Software

It is only 70% compatible (or so I've been told)

>        9) I would like to upgrade the internal modem (s?? 2 lines - 2
>           modems??) - to 2400 baud.  Can this be done?

There has been other discussions on this.  As I recall, nobody figured
out how to do it.

>        9) ** Most important ** I would like to get any documentation that
>           is availiable for it, including Schematics for it. (I'm dreaming
>           right?)

AT&T used to sell it.  Maybe they still do.

>    Also, is there any way to make the internal modem connect ONLY after
>6 rings?  What I want to do is to have the answering machine pickup after
>4 rings, then while it's resetting UUCP will try again, and this time
>the answering machine will just let the phone ring - 8 times from my
>tests, and the computer will take the call... It should work like a charm.

I do not know how to set the number of rings, but if you have one phone
line only and you use either the "phtoggle" command in your crontab to
set hours when the computer will answer or there is several
"ph_set_this_or_thats" that have ran around the internet.  If this isn't
good enough, there is a product (I have forgotten the name)  that will
answer the phone and route to either a computer or go on to the phone,
depending on the touch tone response that you provide to it.

>        Chert Pellett
>        root@spdyne   || elwiz@attctc

-- Randall W. Robinson

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov

jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) (07/31/89)

In article <4700001@spdyne> root@spdyne.UUCP writes:
>I just bought a UNIX PC with 1 Meg of Ram, 40 Meg disk and all...
>And I have a few problems:

Welcome to the club.  Since no one else has responded to this, I'll bite.

>        1) Contrary to my understanding, it did not come with the Development
>           System.  ('C' Lang. Compiler etc..)

can you say, "caveat emptor"?

>        2) It is a rather old version of UNIX.  (no vi!!! - I wouldn't
>           have ever guessed that someone was selling a 'UNIX' without
>           vi!  Especally not AT & T!  Oh, well... Live and learn..
>           (Maybe it comes with the soft dev. kit?)

AT&T has unbundled software for quite a while, they get more money that way.
Yes, vi comes with the utilities package.  If you really must have vi now,
look at your encryption disks.

>        3) I need more Ram.  1 Meg is not very much.

1 MB is really not that bad.  I found a *truly remarkable* difference between
1/2 MB and 1 MB but not so much of a difference betweem 1 MB and 2 MB.

>        4) I Need a Mouse.  It didn't come with one and it would be nice
>           to have one.

Call my work number and get a keyboard and mouse for $30.

>        5) I would like to upgrade the OS to 3.51 (Current?) It is currently
>           at 3.0.

Call my work number and get 3.5 for $150 or 3.51 for $250, or call AT&T and
ask what their upgrade cost is.

>        6) I would like to hang at least one serial port of the thing.
>           (No, the one that came with it is hosed, tho I'm going to
>            go in there with a Scope and see if I can trace it down...)

See a previous posting of mine to get an EIA board for $250, or call my work
number and get a 1/2 MB combo board for $549.

>        7) I would like a SCSI board for it... (Not a high on my list yet.)

You and everyone else!  There has been lots of talk about doing this but
I have not seen or heard of any results yet.  Anyone else have any good
news about a SCSI board?

>        8) I might like to get the DOS board/Software

Well, I have one I have offered for $500 or call me at work and pay $550.

>        9) I would like to upgrade the internal modem (s?? 2 lines - 2
>           modems??) - to 2400 baud.  Can this be done?

Not in this lifetime.

>        9) ** Most important ** I would like to get any documentation that
>           is availiable for it, including Schematics for it. (I'm dreaming
>           right?)

Yes, you are dreaming.  I have talked to just about everyone who still works
at AT&T and knows anything about the Unix PC and they all say there is no
stock on the reference manual.

>I talked to AT & T - 3 different 800 numbers... And I have talked to the
>three dealers that they gave me on the last call... So far, I'm lucky if
>they have even heard of the machine.... One tried to sell me UNIX for the
>386 - said it should work....[Gave up on that vendor...]
>
>    I talked to Technical Resource Center (800-433-4904) and they
>wanted to sell me a RAM board for it (w/0K) for only $1,200!  Gee, I
>could get a 286 with 4 Serial ports and UNIX for about that price...
>(and of course 1Mb ram...)   After the fourth time I asked the guy,
>he checked on the board a little more and found out that it also
>had 2 serial ports on it..

I (from work) can also sell you a 0k board socketed for 2 MB for $350,
or with 2 MB for $750.  If you put *your* RAM on it and it does not work
it *will* cost you to deal with it because these are new boards that are
*very* tested before you get them.

>    If AT & T is not willing to sell the Soft. Dev. kit anymore, is there
>anyone out there who would be so kind as to tar it up and UUCP / US-Mail
>it to me? [or sell me their copy?] I'll trade ya Dbase 3 for it...

If you can talk someone into violating a whole variety of laws for you,
that is between you and them and your lawyers and AT&T's lawyers.  This
product is still very much for sale by AT&T.  We offer it at work for $495.

>    Also, is there any way to make the internal modem connect ONLY after
>6 rings?  What I want to do is to have the answering machine pickup after
>4 rings, then while it's resetting UUCP will try again, and this time
>the answering machine will just let the phone ring - 8 times from my
>tests, and the computer will take the call... It should work like a charm.

I do not think so, not without source code anyway.  Anyone else?

>    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this...

No problem.

Jan Isley, follower of Zen, picker of nit

home = jan@bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | (404) 434-1335
work = Discovery Electronics (404) 425-5700

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (07/31/89)

In article <803@bagend.UUCP>, jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:
> Anyone else have any good news about a SCSI board? [for the UNIX-PC]

It's a pretty good bet that Owens-Laing will be doing one
of these in the near future, but I've no definitive word
on when or how much...

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl@vsi.com

"The 80386 is just a 32-bit 8051, only not as good." - me