[unix-pc.general] 40 meg hard drive for 7300 without modifications??

jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) (08/03/89)

In article <644@nz8r.UUCP> gwr@nz8r.UUCP (Gregory W. Ratcliff) writes:

>Try getting a ST277 rll version (better media qc) mine
>was  cheap and lost no storage to media defects. 350 bux.

Yes, the ST277 is RLL but we have to use it as MFM so we do not get it's
"rated" capacity, only about 40 meg, but you knew that already.

BUT, it is a 40 ms drive.  For that same $350, you can get a ST251-1 which
is a 28 ms drive.  That extra 12 ms can make a big difference.

Jan
---
jan@bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | h (404)434-1335 | w (404)425-5700

	Humankind cannot bear very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

In article <46@docwrk.UUCP> srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) writes:
>Is there a fairly reliable 40 meg drive out there that can be installed
>on the 7300 with minimum hassle and no hardware modifications?  Or am I
>dreaming?

In the last year and a half, I have installed hundreds of drives in unix pcs.
Here are some stats, rough estimates on quantities, but you get the picture.

Seagate
-------
251-1	2 failures, 100 units.
151-1	0 failures,  20 units.
4096	0 failures,  30 units, without P5.1 upgrade.
4096	0 failures,   5 units, with P5.1 upgrade.

Microscience
------------
1050	0 failures, 30 units.
1075   10 failures, 30 units.
1090   12 failures, 40 units, with WD2010 chip.

Miniscribe
3085    0 failures, 40 units, with WD2010 chip.

Again, these quantities are rounded estimates, but the picture is fairly
accurate.  I have had other weird problems with the Miniscribe, see my posting
last week for this.

Jan
---